Best digital camera for Leica r lenses

Joecamera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unless you use Live View where the camera compensates during stopped down metering and presents a bright image on the LCD (although with a little noise depending on how far you stop down).

Pete.

Same is true of the much maligned EVF, but experience on my G1 is that too much depth of field when stopped down makes it much more difficult to focus.

Gerry

Same is true of the much maligned EVF, but experience on my G1 is that too much depth of field when stopped down makes it much more difficult to focus.

Gerry

Live View allows you to magnify the LCD image 10 times to nail focus.:)

Pete.

• 1 year later...
Is there not yet an adaptor for R to M?

Ronny

I have a German made adaptor for my R lens to my M9, but the rangefinder will not work with the R lens, so you are limited to guessing the distance and hope the depth of field will save your picture. You can always use infinity for scenery shots, but close ups are trial and error.

Up to now, I'm playing with R lenses and Ricoh GXR, and I'm quite happy.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Sony nex series works with R lenses brilliantly. I personally use nex-3 --> cheap R adapter --> Summicron-R 50mm f/2. The only thing thats missing is good viewfinder (I use chinese made lcd cover/viewfinder), but I'd change it to nex-5n with optional evf or nex-7 if my bank account would allow it just for the viewfinder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used a modified Sigma for my R lenses. The Foveon sensor IMHO produced wonderful brilliant colors. Had to give it up though, as my eyesight got too bad to properly focus.

EVF with enlargement functions and focus assist greatly helps in focusing. Not very fast, but it works.

GXR here, very happy like Paolo.

I can mount LTM, M and Leitaxed R lenses as well as Nikon on it - in other words, every lens I own. It does seem to perform exceptionally well with the R lenses; I have 28, 60 and 135 Elmarits left over from my R days. The sensor also seems particularly well matched with Zeiss lenses; I have the 50 Sonnar and the 35 Biogon and both really "sing". Focus peaking is easy to use once you are used to it and delivers fine results.

Regards,

Bill

I can only confirm what Bill says. All of my R lenses works great on that little machine. I do not have experience with very wide R lenses (my R gears starts from 35mm on), but Contax 28 Distagon, Olympus OM 21 f:2 and Nikkor 20 and 24 f:2,8 all works great.

• 3 months later...
GXR here, very happy like Paolo.

I can mount LTM, M and Leitaxed R lenses as well as Nikon on it - in other words, every lens I own. It does seem to perform exceptionally well with the R lenses; I have 28, 60 and 135 Elmarits left over from my R days.

Hi Bill,

Do you have the M module? If so, how do you use Leitaxed R/Nikon lens on it? How does it compare to sony Nex 7? Just wondering. Thank you.

Hi without a doubt an R9 with a DMR. That marriage is perfect. My favorite lens the 28-90 and the 19mm. The fixed 28 is a great all around lens for walking around snapping and for portraits the 80 1.4 is superb! The R9 is as hearty as all get out and when the 28-90 is on it, man oh man you have a great tool at your disposal!:)

Lots of good suggestions here. I've used my recently acquired NEX-7 with a variety of glass, including Leica R, and have been very happy with it. The Elmarit-R 90/2.8 and Elmar-R 180/4 have proved particularly happy companions. The NEX-7 works a treat with M glass as well, except for my Elmarit-M 28/2.8 ASPH, where I encountered severe magenta banding. I didn't really see it on-camera, but there was no missing it on my Mac! Luckily, I can use my Elmarit-R 28/2.8 and Olympus OM 24/2.8 with no problems. Both are pretty compact, the Olympus in particular, and give you something approaching a wide angle on the NEX-7's cropped sensor. At the other end of the spectrum, the Telyt-R 350/4.8 has also proved great; its built-in tripod mount is a life-saver and the cropped sensor works in your favour this time, giving you extra pulling power.

Focusing requires slightly different combinations of focus peaking and magnifiction of specific critical areas, depending on the lens. Once you've worked out what's most effective, it quickly becomes second nature.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I guess I am arriving the party late...

I'm now looking for digital solution for my Leica R lenses, and I want it to be FF because I don't want any crop to it. I guess Sony A7/A7r is a very good option, but I really dislike the EVF... Leitax to Nikon D600/D800 is another option since it means my F mount also have a digital solution, but I still want to use my R lens on R8... adapter to Canon might be a good choice but all I heard ranging from mirror problem to metering problem... :(:(:(

Tough choice really...

In 2010, there was no M240, but that is the best camera for R lenses right now. I had an a7r and no longer have it has too many non-native lenses just have a fuzziness to them IMHO. Not so with the same lenses on the M240.

It says "Users can access a list of 20 dedicated profiles - including calibrated imaging workflows and EXIF lens recognition" on the website...

Is it the reason why it is better on M240 than on A7R? How does the adapter know which lens it installs on the camera? through ROM? Have you test R-lenses with no ROM?

I'm now looking for digital solution for my Leica R lenses, and I want it to be FF because I don't want any crop to it. I guess Sony A7/A7r is a very good option, but I really dislike the EVF... Leitax to Nikon D600/D800 is another option since it means my F mount also have a digital solution, but I still want to use my R lens on R8... adapter to Canon might be a good choice but all I heard ranging from mirror problem to metering problem... :(:(:(

Tough choice really...

Assuming you don't want to Leitax the lenses, the full-frame choices are either an EFV (M240 or a7/a7r) or Canon. If I didn't have a DMR I'd be taking a good look at the a7 and a7r.

It says "Users can access a list of 20 dedicated profiles - including calibrated imaging workflows and EXIF lens recognition" on the website...

Is it the reason why it is better on M240 than on A7R? How does the adapter know which lens it installs on the camera? through ROM? Have you test R-lenses with no ROM?

The adapter doesn't use the ROM so it makes no difference whether the R lens has ROM or not. The M240 user picks the lens from a menu; the adapter, if 6-bit coded, enables the menu.

Assuming you don't want to Leitax the lenses, the full-frame choices are either an EFV (M240 or a7/a7r) or Canon. If I didn't have a DMR I'd be taking a good look at the a7 and a7r.

I was also reading the A7/A7R thread and realized a lot of post talks about it's incapable with a lot of wide angle lenses, M or R. I'm just wondering... is it same if I use those R lenses on Nikon FF or Canon FF?

I use several R optics on a Canon 5II. They all work fine. Focusing screen had to be changed though, and light metering is sometimes inaccurate. If really critical focussing is needed, live view is an option IF one has lots of time to push buttons IF the ambient light does not wash out the screen and IF one has remembered ones glasses (diopter correction in the VF, impossible on the screen)..

I tried a Sony 7r the other day. The shop had the M-adapter, Acceptable electronic viewfinder, but a 15mm M mount gave mush towards the corners. No R-adapter. I had hoped to try my 21-35, it does not produce such acute angles towards the sensor, so it might work..

p.

I tried a Sony 7r the other day. The shop had the M-adapter, Acceptable electronic viewfinder, but a 15mm M mount gave mush towards the corners. No R-adapter. I had hoped to try my 21-35, it does not produce such acute angles towards the sensor, so it might work...

A couple samples (not my photos):

Leica R Series Lenses - FM Forums

Leica R Series Lenses - FM Forums

• Like 2