When did you last get your projector out?

kenneth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a 90 2.5 Colorplan-P CF lens but no projector, they seem to be scarce as the moment. And honestly, I have no idea which projector it goes with, I might even have the wrong lens...?

I own the 90 2.5 Colorplan lens and it fits on a Leica Pradovit 150 projector. You can find a P150 on e-Bay for $100 to $400. In my opinion, the 90mm Colorplan lens is a little better than the 85mm Hektor that is standard with the P150.

I have accumulated a 153ir a p150 and a rollei msc300p over the years. I use xenotar cf or htm 90mm lenses on the rollei which is one beautiful machine.

What I have not coped with is sorting out projectable programmes from the 16000 odd slides I have made all around the world, working and travelling.

Guess that is what retirement is for especially when the kids have gone and you can leave the projection equipment in place.

Nothing beats slides in my opinion (except when they "pop").

I guess that's why there's glass mounts!

Well yes, but in my experience trhey give more problems with damp inside etc over the years that its not worth it except for short term needs, and you can drive yourself to a fury trying to get rid of all the dust etc when mounting. Slides I have in glass have not lasted so well as those in good old Kodachrome card mounts.

Gerry

• 10 months later...

This past summer I took a road trip where I visited 10 drive-ins in 10 days. Before I left, I bought three bricks of film. 10 Fuji Provia (100 iso,) 10 Ilford HP5 (shot at 1000 iso) and 10 Rollei Retro 80s (80 iso.) Afterwards, I sent all the film to DR5. All the B&W film had reverse processing and the Provia took an E6 bath.

TOTAL COST for film and processing (including shipping, tax, etc.) was about $450 to $500.

QUALITY unsurpassed

USABILITY very high. The selected transparencies will be used for a slide show presentation. They can also be scanned for email and websites.

CONVENIENCE very low. As nice as the transparencies are, it's a pain to view each and every one of those images through a loupe. It's a pain to edit, sort, arrange, organized and then finally get them into slide trays. And, setting up the screen, the projector and trying to get an audience over here to enjoy them with me! It's a lot of work! And then having to take them out of the slide trays for storage.

The reward IS looking at the images once their processed and the expressions from friends who normally don't (or never had seen) a slide show. The quality in the way they view the images cannot be reproduced via any computer screen or print. It's downright drop dead gorgeous.

Digitally, the process could have been faster and accumulate zero cost. The editing and arranging the images (at least to me) is much easier by the touch of a keyboard button and click of a mouse. The quality can be very good, however IMHO not as nice as a transparency (particularly a B&W transparencies.)

USABILITY very much the same. Leica sells a digital projector for digital slide shows. And, the images can be used for email and websites...WITHOUT having to scan anything.

CONVENIENCE very high. Much faster to edit and arrange and if projecting digital images, the images are basically ready to show digitally via transfer to a storage device...already in the order to be displayed.

My images were shot in August, the transparencies were received in the mail about a month later.

I'm still in the editing stage. Today I should be done editing the images and sometime next week, I'll start to put them into the order in how I wish to have them displayed for the slide show in time for Thanksgiving.

The cost factor can make some people cringe. I think about it too. After all, when someone comes over to see a slide show that might take no more than 40 minutes to view, and even if it's been liked, the looks I get when they realize how much it all cost. Well, the same thing can be said about going to the movies. People will spend $10 to watch a movie that cost millions. Walk out of the theatre 90 to 140 minutes later, and simply state "that sucked" or "Hey, that was great!" Either way, lots of time money and hard work goes into each and every one of these projects.

When I think of quality, in some ways I think it would be nice to have a M9 or the S system with their newer lens. However, I'm really happy to have bought my R-9 brand new along with probably one of the last remaining slide projectors Leica had in stock, the Pradovit RT-s. I consider that combination a total system. When it comes to displaying my imagery in this fashion, it really helps make my images stand out from all others.

The fact it's all on film makes it stand out even more.

• Like 2

I have been stating all along, simply nothing will touch slide film.

I feel sorry for all those who simply don't know the shear beauty of Transparenies.

They spend a fortune on Digital cameras so as to view the images on a computor or print the image

on paper print.

However I must admit, I do like some Digital cameras especially the Canon 1DX and one day I will certainly replace my Canon Digital Toy (G9) with something more respectful.

But I WILL NEVER GIVE UP ON MY LEICA FILM CAMERAS AND TRANSPARANCIES.

Digital will always play second fiddle tp me.

Long live slide film.

Ken.

• Like 1

Agree 150% I only shoot slide film and use my light table and slide projector daily. Never have had a digital camera nor the desire to purchase one.

I would not give up my slide film and Leica M for anything. Now I am looking for a good used medium format slide projector.

Very interesting. Have any of you given Dr5 a try?

I like the fact most all B&W negative film can be reversed processed for B&W transparencies.

My suggestion would be to try some Rollei Retro 80s. The images it produces looks like (if not better) than some of the highest quality B&W prints I've seen in museums.

dr5 CHROME - Black and White transparency process + THE ONLY RELIABLE SCALA PROCESSING WORLDWIDE

Some great examples!

rollei retro 80s review - Google Search

A little high in contrast, however if handled correctly, can produce some of the most outstanding imagery I've ever seen.

• 2 years later...

Since I don't know where to post this note, I'll post it in this thread. However to stay on topic, I've been using my projector this past week to help edit some images.

It's interesting to me to see the images I've been working on in a loupe for about a year then to see the same images projected onto the big screen for the first time. I knew there'd be differences, though I was amazed at how different they looked. I noticed the color was a bit different from the projector when compared to the color of light from my miniature light box. And, the images are also a bit darker on the big screen. That was to be expected, however what I did not expect; was the change in color temperature. The B&W transparencies when viewed in the loupe looked quite neutral. However when viewed on the big screen using the projector, it looked to be quite sepia when compared to what I was used to seeing in the loupe.

By the way, these images were shot on B&W film.

At the same time, I was wondering if it was possible if the lamp was getting old. Another words, I'm sure the color temperature changes during it's life cycle. A few days later I again was projecting the images when at one point, the light went out. I knew right away what was happening so I kept watching to see what would happen. One second later I heard CLICK!!! The light came back on and I was again able to continue viewing the images. This was the first time I've witnessed the projector automatically go from one bulb to the backup bulb. It worked just like it was supposed to!

I've had that projector for probably about seven years now and that was the first time a bulb went out. I have no idea how many hours that particular bulb lasts, though for the years I've had it, it's easy to guess the projector does not get much use. Though I was really happy to witness the bulb switch for the first time as I always wondered how that would work.

About the color temperature from the new bulb. It was a little bit sepia though not as much as the older bulb. Also, the brightness was possibly a touch brighter. It's good to know when the bulb is at the end of it's life, the brightness remains pretty much the same with very little deterioration overall.

Also, with my projector (the Pradovit RT-m, and evidently only on the Pradovit RT-m) there's a cool feature (High Light Setting) that allows the bulb to be 20% brighter when compared to it's bright setting. This does however (according the manual) reduce "the life-span of the lamps by about 30%."

Oh well, I feel that's a small price to pay when trying to get the best brightness possible on such a large screen.

If anyone with the Pradovit RT-m would like to try that setting, "press the switch (24) twice in a row (within less than 1 second.) To indicate the activated high light mode, the corresponding red LED (17) will start to blink."

And for fun, I found a link to a traveling art display of eight slide projectors used at the same time all in one room. It's interesting to note, all the projectors are the Leica Pradovit RT-m. There's even a video (with sound) of part of the slide projector presentation.

The Singled Person: An Interview with Peer Kugler

• Like 2

To replace my burned out bulb, I just ordered another bulb for my Pradovit RT-m. The bulb equivalent for the Pradovit RT series is EXR 82V 300W.

The one I ordered is the Osram Sylvania EXR MR13 bulb with the following rating; 300w 82v MR13 GX5.3 with a life of 35 hours.

I chose to buy from Bulb America

Buy Light Bulbs from America's Official Lighting Retailer

I also noticed it's available at Bulb Direct

Audio Visual Bulbs/ANSI Coded Bulbs

I really enjoyed this discussion of showing your slides on a projector there is a certain majestic look when viewing in a darken room; however now that I have converted most of my slides to digital I now view them on a real projector on to 120" screen .

But still not the same:):(

Hank

now that I have converted most of my slides to digital I now view them on a real projector on to 120" screen .

When you say "real" projector, you must mean a digital projector.

What is the resolution of your projector?