Do you store your M10-R with battery in or out?

Pierre68

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed that when I store my cameras with the battery in, the batteries get drained after a few weeks. So I was wondering if it is better to store the batteries outside the cameras. Will the camera lose its setting (time, language, etc) if stored without battery. What do you guy and girls do?

Edited by Pierre68

I notice the same think on my M10 (don't have the R), which is especially apparent compared to my M9, where the battery hardly drains when the camera is off (whether truly off or in sleep). Also, my spare M10 batteries drain much faster than the M9 even when stored outside the camera.

It's very likely settings would be lost with long storage without a battery, as some things - like the internal clock - require and use power. I assume the camera must have a small internal battery or at least capacitor to keep things active for a while.

I leave a battery in the camera for the reasons you've mentioned about losing settings.  I also have a spare that I keep in the camera bag.  I've found that after a few weeks of taking very few images the battery in the camera will drop to maybe 60% and the spare will be around 75%.  At that time I will recharge both and usually put the spare in the camera.  I've been doing the same with a Q which sees little use lately. 

I try and always leave a battery and card in my bodies if there's any chance of it being used (deep storage might be another matter). Nothing worse than leaving the house with a quickly grabbed camera and discovering there's no battery or card inside.

• Like 3

I always store my camera with the batter, and usually after a week without usage, I would just turn on and take few random shots n turn back off, while having a peep how much it has drained

one of the thing that bugs me with m10 and the R is indeed, how quick the battery drains even without usage

I notice the first week will be at least 10-15% leaving 85% and as time goes by it will decrease much slower, but still... as mentioned above, even the lone battery outside the camera will discharge at abysmal rate I never find in other cameras, like m11. m240 presumably since I never care with this beast before, and m9 as well as hasselblad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do not have a M10 to test this, but in general batteries are best stored with about 50% charge (or maybe 80%). That is why new devices that are shipped with pre-loaded batteries are never fully loaded.

Did you test how long it takes for the battery to drop to 20%? I suppose 100% to 80% takes shorter than 80% to 60% and draining it completely will take a lot longer.

• Thanks 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb dpitt:

I do not have a M10 to test this, but in general batteries are best stored with about 50% charge (or maybe 80%). That is why new devices that are shipped with pre-loaded batteries are never fully loaded.

Did you test how long it takes for the battery to drop to 20%? I suppose 100% to 80% takes shorter than 80% to 60% and draining it completely will take a lot longer.

In general I have two batteries minimum. I got my first digital in 1998. As mentioned I have never noticed a problem.

There is a small internal backup battery used to maintain the clock (time, date). It is charged from the main removable battery. According to the M10 manual the backup battery will last for about two months if the main battery is removed, but apparently only the time/date will need to be re-entered when it has drained. I would guess other settings are stored in some sort of non-volatile RAM. A drained backup battery takes one or two days to recharge, according to the manual.

I always leave a battery in the camera when stored, except if don't intend to use it for a long time. The M10 batteries will drain both in and out of camera, but I have not compared how rapidly they drain. However, the battery charge level indication is not very reliable, so I don't rely on it and always try to keep a spare battery with me, unless I have just inserted a fully charged battery and don't intend to take more than a few pictures. One of my, otherwise perfectly fine, M10 batteries always show 100% charge in camera until it suddenly dies. 

BTW, the M10 manual states that M!0 batteries last a maximum of four years and should be replaced after that 🙂.

• Like 2

Don‘t store a camera with a battery inside for too long. When I got the M10 the M9 was out of use for over a year. As I forgot it had a rather old battery inside  I was puzzled to find out that the battery had been swelling so that I hardly could get it out. 

• Like 1