Would you sell your Summilux 28mm to get the Summilux 24mm ?

Pierre68

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the summilux 28mm and like it very much as a stand alone all purpose lens. But when I use the 50mm I find myself taking the Elmar 24mm f/3.8 as a wide angle alternative more and more often. I somehow find that 24 + 50 complete each other rather well. I also have and use the combination of Summircon 50mm + Zeiss 25mm f/2.8. So I am wondering if I should get the Lux 24mm and sell the Lux 28 and Elmar 24mm... And then I do have a Q2 to cover the 28mm as a stand alone all purpose lens... 

What are your thoughts?

Hello Pierre68

Do you like using the 28mm or is it sometimes too big for you? I have the 24 Lux. This is heavier and larger than the 28.
The M therefore loses its lightness. It also doesn't have a focus tab.

Best regards
Axel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know and agree the Q2 is a totally different experience. I use it mostly in photographer unfriendly situation such as when I am climbing in the Swiss alps or riding my mountain bike. I never used it for street. Instead I use the lux 28 a lot. It is so versatile (low light, subject isolation or landscape with infinite depth of field) But I like the perspective of the 24mm. It is really different to me even if there are only 4mm of difference... And the 24mm Elmar is a gem indeed. I thought about selling it many times as I have the Zeiss which is smaller and faster... But I could not!

The lack of a focussing tab on the 24mm lux might be an argument not to get it per se as I have trained in photography using the tab and my muscle memory gets over the place when I don't hav a tab...

Posted (edited)

The Q2 is actually wider than 28mm probably more like 26mm. Seems you really like your 28mm Summilux so don’t sell it. Sell something else and add the 24mm Summilux. Buying the 28/1.4 back will be more expensive.

Edited by rtai

I'd say you sound like you have a system that works well for you right now, so don't sell anything. I can't see that the 24lux is gonna offer you much over to Zeiss 25mm, but if you have to sell something, and are set on the 24lux, then Maybe its the Zeiss that goes?

• Like 1

24 'lux over the elmarit. The 24 and 35 lux are my goto lenses because they render like nothing else!  Neither fit under a coat, and that's a reason to have at least one elmarir around.

• Like 1

A luxury problem. The only thing left is to buy a 24 to see whether it meets expectations and whether picture ideas can be implemented better with it. If not, the glass will definitely sell well again.

Agree with dritz above. Any Summilux isn’t just a Elmarit with more stops. They have a pleasing rendering. I usually don’t offer this opinion because many/most(?) people now prefer “sharp and contrasty” for digital. My M10M likes lower contrast less edge sharpness and so does film.

• Like 2

24Lux has been my personal favor for M body.  Some people who hated it, keep hating it but nothing is wrong - it's just personal preference.  If you find it fit your needs, it's yours. 

• Like 1

Keep the 24 Elmar, it’s a home run hitter… small, lite, awesome modern rendering . I get some need/want the DOF of a summilux, but do you? Personally I see zero need nor desire for a wide angle shallow DOF…. Especially at that size and weight. 

Personally I would sell the Zeiss and consider a Leica 21 SEM. Obviously I don’t know what you’re shooting. The 21 renders similar to the 24… sharp and contrasty while  adding a dynamic you can’t get with the Q2

• Like 2

I also shoot 24mm. My preference is for the Elmar. It’s one of the best Leica lenses I’ve ever used. Saying that, I only tested it alongside the Elmarit 24mm. If you enjoy 24mm then I think having the Summilux as well is not a crazy idea but I would hold onto that little Elmar personally. People who enjoy the 50 are allowed to own many so why not those that love 24! 

• Like 1

I used to have 50mm, Lux 35,  Elmarit 24. The Elmarit , and also probably the Elmar 24 are great lenses , with minimal distorsion, best for landscapes or overall use. What I like with the 24 mm is the ciné look and thespecial rendering with field curvature. The quality of the lenses allow proper cropping and still get good image quality were one not optimally close to the subject.  Finally I liked the 24 so much that I have sold the Elmarit 24 and Lux 35 to pay for the Summilux 24. This lens is very special and one needs to use it for where it is strongest, i.e. in portraits or ambiance interiors, or on street. It is fine as a single travel lens for all purpose but the landscapes need some post processing due to field curvature.

The ciné impression is most strong with this lens at high apertures. For me now it is my all around lens. My travel setup is 24 Lux, 50 cron and 90 Elmar.

• Like 6

My set up after very much staying and swapping around of lenses over the past 15 years is the 24 Summilux, the 35 ASPH Summilux non FLE and the 75 APO Summicron. I also have a Q2 for similar use as the OP. The 24 Summilux is my signature lens not just for its FOV but for the rendering. There is no other lens like it in the M system and neither the Emarit nor the Elmar come close. For me 28mm is kind of 'just a bit wider than my 35' and not much use. If you see a wide angle as 24mm then a 28mm won't cut it. 

• Like 3

I would be very hesitant to sell or trade an Elmar-M 24mm ASPH. Leica is not manufacturing more of them, and an increasing number of people are becoming aware of how good the Elmar really is. I am not being negative about the Summilux-M 24, but supportive of the Elmar-M 24. I, too, would love to acquire a Summilux-M 24, and should have bought one when I had a comparatively larger budget. Sadly, I was still unaware, and uninterested in shooting at 24mm, at the time. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I see a lot of love for the Elamr 24mm. So maybe I should give it more use and confront it to the Zeiss 25 f/2.8

But from the images I have seen intros thread

on this forum and from the 24Lux pictures on https://onfotolife.com/lens_sample_photos?lens_id=341&page=1&focal_min=0&focal_max=800&aperture_min=0&aperture_max=32, I'd say that the Elmar and 24Lux are 2 completely different beasts: The Elmar is super sharp and contrasty, ideal for landscape and probably street and the Lux can get dreamy in the borders from field curvature and vignetting with a nice Bokeh at full aperture which makes it an ideal lens for environmental portraits in low light...

Edited by Pierre68
added link for more informations
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Pierre68 said:

I see a lot of love for the Elamr 24mm. So maybe I should give it more use and confront it to the Zeiss 25 f/2.8

But from the images I have seen intros thread

on this forum and from the 24Lux pictures on https://onfotolife.com/lens_sample_photos?lens_id=341&page=1&focal_min=0&focal_max=800&aperture_min=0&aperture_max=32, I'd say that the Elmar and 24Lux are 2 completely different beasts: The Elmar is super sharp and contrasty, ideal for landscape and probably street and the Lux can get dreamy in the borders from field curvature and vignetting with a nice Bokeh at full aperture which makes it an ideal lens for environmental portraits in low light...

This thread is tempting me to get a 24 lux alongside the Elmar! The rabbit hole is endless! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1