M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess I will keep the M8 without upgrading the shutter. Time will prove whether it is worthwile keeping one camera with 1/8000 to be combined with the 1.4/21 asph which is on its way to me with UPS from my dealer and should be delivered later to day.

It might be a wise move. I shoot a lot wide open on sunny days with a 35mm Summicron and I am often at 1/6000 or 1/8000. Now that I have just received the Nokton 1.2, I will need this high speed even more.

Post pictures taken with the 21mm once it arrives !

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there anybody out there how knows the 6-bit-code for the 18? And which frame does it bring up?

They've placed the Super Elmar in slot 52 in the lens code table. Skipping one (51) so the code is 110100.

Edit: from the lens code table it looks like the lens will bring up the 50/75 lines - strange.....

- Carl

Edited by cbretteville

I am extremely pleased Leica included discreet mode in the new firmware - it is just what I have been waiting for.

It will make life a lot easier shooting on the street - seems the shutter re-cocking sounds quieter to me.

I like it and will use it 99% of the time. Makes a great camera even better.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They've placed the Super Elmar in slot 52 in the lens code table. Skipping one (51) so the code is 110100.

Edit: from the lens code table it looks like the lens will bring up the 50/75 lines - strange.....

YES !

Great ! So is the Distagon ZM recognized without any change of the flange. Just the screw to be painted in white.

Extra-Prima-Gut as they say in Wetzlar.

Thank You Leica, this is wunderfull. :)

Now, put the lens choice in the menu and the M8 will be a perfect camera.

Installed also on my M8 & M8.2 - everything worked fine.

One thing I did notice was that the clunk of the M8 in discreet mode seems a little more "mechanical" sounding I guess because it's not being masked by the recock whirr any longer. Even so, I think it's a worthwhile additional feature so thanks Leica!

Just upgraded the firmware on my M8.2 (the M8's down in London ... how frustrating!), but was pleased to note that this time the upgrade doesn't over-write my presets - these are preserved + when I re-started the camera I was back as I'd started, rather than in pre-set 0 with JPEGS as default etc. A small thing but a good one - again, thank you Leica for listening!!

This is a truly worthwhile upgrade.

But... there's still one really important "setting" left apart...

Please, let us be able to select the right lens via menu, It'll be just so convenient!

Ok I installed this new firmware on 2 M8's.

What I find is the sound of the shutter actuating about the same and totally different then using B on the shutter speed dial.

I hear the first clunk, the shutter opening and closing, at the correct timing, then a second clunk at the closing of the shutter. Once I release the shutter button I then hear the faint whirr of the rewind.

On B you don't get the second clunk until the shutter closes and then the instant whirr.

In all honesty the whirr is barely noticeable in discrete mode but the original clunking is still there.

Now if you have a M8u camera this is a nice feature but for the original M8 it really does little to nothing for the overall sound.

Yes, presets are intact, which is nice (though I've just re-saved each one with discrete mode enabled, since I can't imagine not using it now that I have it).

As another person has mentioned, the decoupling has further exposed the "cra-CRACK" sound of the shutter which, on mine at least, sounds like something is breaking! I won't notice it after a short while, I'm sure. I have a very early M8 (ex-demo).

This is an excellent addition.

Good to hear that the settings are persistent across the upgrade. However, compared to the D3, having to re-do them was quite a quick operation on the M8.2 last time I upgraded. Yet another nice thing about being back in M-land - everything is so much simpler

I've just re-saved each one with discrete mode enabled, since I can't imagine not using it now that I have it. (...)

I have a very early M8 (ex-demo). (...)

This is an excellent addition.

Same here, plus a later one from Summer 2007.

With this new FW, it's like having a brand new camera. I really enjoy. :)