M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally feel a little concerned about the black paint - my cameras are user tools - not collector items. It feels as if it's going to go on the sharp corners ... I actually like the black chrome ...

Best

Hopefully, by the time the M9 appears, there will be enough experience to tell whether the black paint is up to the job.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to download and install Firmware version 2.004, but cannot unzip for some reason. I have successfully upgraded all prior versions to my Mac (OS 10.4xx and 10.5xx) but when i try to open the file ("M8-2_004.upd) it won't. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance; sorry if this has been covered.

Hi.

You don't have to unzip or open it. I think that you only need to unzip on a windows PC. Just follow the rest of the instructions and copy the file to the root directory of an SD card. :)

Edited by Nicoleica

• 8 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pros: guess that would depend on the version you're upgrading from. not sure there are any cons except the old truth "if it works, don't fix it". I had mine upgraded fro 2.004 and used it like that until it went if for upgrades in May 2009. No issues what so ever.

Carl

Edited by cbretteville

So

picking this one again

What are the pros and cons for this March firmware update for a M8 with no upgrades (no saphire,no new shutter,no new framelines) ?

Thanks

As quoted from the software installation instructions on the Leica AG website:

Firmware version 2.004 - The update adds these improvements to your camera:

Detection of 6-bit coding for new M lenses:

The 6-bit coding and the correction profiles of the new Leica M lenses LEICA NOCTILUX-M 50mm/f0.95 ASPH. and LEICA SUPER-ELMAR-M 18mm/f3.8 ASPH. have been implemented.

Discrete Mode for all LEICA M8 cameras:

Since the Market introduction of the LEICA M8.2 we have received numerous requests from customers, asking for the delayed shutter cocking action in combination with the LEICA M8. Therefore with the new firmware 2.004, the Discreet-Mode is available on all LEICA M8. At the lower end of the Menu list a new menu point „Advance“ has been added with the options „Standard“ and „Discreet“.

Pete.

Yes farnz

im aware of that, as i said i read a lot on the web and also that little bit of your quote...

im Also aware that a forum is a place where we share experience, where we can share our knowledge of something we did with others..

are you ?

Share yours with me if you will or haven`t you anything to add before the quote ?

i ask also for the cons ....

Yes farnz

im aware of that, as i said i read a lot on the web and also that little bit of your quote...

im Also aware that a forum is a place where we share experience, where we can share our knowledge of something we did with others..

are you ?

Share yours with me if you will or haven`t you anything to add before the quote ?

Thank you for clarifying what you were asking and yes I am aware that experiences can be shared in forums.

My M8 is upgraded so my views of the pros and cons may be of little use to you hence I didn't mention them but in the spirit of sharing experiences and knowledge on a forum I shall.

I do a lot of shooting in quiet places like churches and cathedrals so the discreet mode is a pro for me, as is my quieter, upgraded shutter, and both complement each other.

There are no cons that come to mind.

Pete.

I've been using 2.004 since the day it came out. It adds the discrete mode where the shutter will not recock until the shutter release button is released. It may add other things but I forget what they may be.

Yes farnz

are you ?

Caryl, with the discrete release, and when not shooting winged birds, the camera can be lowered to the lap while holding the shutter down. Then the shutter cocking sound can be muffled somewhat.

Surely, the birds you are referring to cannot hear the delayed shutter cock. :)

Bill, I shoot hummingbirds at close range. I have built blinds so they do not see me but at 5 feet, they do hear the camera. When iI use my Nikon, they fly off at the sound of the on off switch.

Thank you for telling me how to get a more silent shot. I did not know what that last click was doing.

Caryl

Don't try shooting on Continuous with the Discrete Shutter Releases mode ON by accident or you'll get a shutter fault, that will require shutting off the camera and powering on again.
Not everybody does. Some cameras do, some don't.

Bill, I shoot hummingbirds at close range. I have built blinds so they do not see me but at 5 feet, they do hear the camera. When iI use my Nikon, they fly off at the sound of the on off switch.

Thank you for telling me how to get a more silent shot. I did not know what that last click was doing.

Caryl

You could try a Digilux 2. It is absolutely silent.