M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Scott, I'm surprised by what you say - there's never a guarantee there's enough power in the battery to complete the cocking cycle and one of the checks the camera performs on cold boot is whether the shutter is cocked, if not, the shutter is cocked.

If you put the camera on B, open the shutter, then remove the battery, the shutter closes but (of course) remains uncocked, no white stripe. When you reinsert the battery, the shutter is cocked because the firmware has detected it needs to be. That's how it's always been.

I have not seen the condition you're speaking of which requires the camera to go in for service. A few people have reported the motor trying to cock the shutter repeatedly and I believe that is down to debris on the electromagnet armature which is magnetic.

As I've told you previously, I don't think the camera should make any attempt to cock the shutter if the battery is low, especially if it is writing to the card at the time. The extra drain placed on the dying battery by the motor is all that's needed to upset the writing process.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good Grief! This thread started off well but disintegrated into a bun fight. Leica just offered something which people have been asking for for many months. I fail to see how this anything other than a good thing.

finally ... a sensible observation, in the sea of

"gloom and doom" of the conspiracy theorists.

My working assumption is that the delayed recock was a feature that was developed for the M8.2 hardware . I assume that Leica has finite resources for testing, and so most likely deferred testing the delayed recock against the original M8 hardware until after releasing the M8.2 to market. It would have been a poor decision imho to delay launching the M8.2 to allow testing of the delayed recock feature on the M8 hardware.

Coming from the world of software development, where 'everything' is possible - there is not a zero cost to rolling out a feature to multiple platforms. Often, this means that that rollout is staged. So just because it is technically possible, doesn't mean it's practically possible in a given time period. Leica must be careful to consider the possible impact of any firmware change on the camera, I for one would not relish having to send my camera back for a jammed shutter just because someone 'knew' that there would be no impact of releasing delayed recocking to the M8.

So, I'm glad they released it with the new firmware. I very much doubt if it was a calculated marketing ploy.

I can GUARANTEE you that there will be a thread on this forum in less than 30 days that will have the headline "Discreet Mode destroyed my Shutter"... Off to Solms again...

My M8 is still under warranty, so I hope you are right. I was going to do the shutter UP, but I didn't want to give up my 1/8000th, so if the new FW coughs up my shutter, it will still be covered. I don't need the discreet mode, but it's nice to know I have it if I need it.

My M8 is still under warranty, so I hope you are right. I was going to do the shutter UP, but I didn't want to give up my 1/8000th, so if the new FW coughs up my shutter, it will still be covered. I don't need the discreet mode, but it's nice to know I have it if I need it.

Same here. I upgraded the frame lines and LCD cover but I didn't want to give up the 1/8000 and 1/250 flash sync... I really don't need the discreet mode but I'm very happy to have it for those occasions when you have to be silent.

If we just could have now the lens selector menu... :o

Darn! - and I lose my high-speed internet today (Feb. 28 - newspaper finally folded - cleaning out my desk now!)

Very sorry to hear about your position, and about the RMN. But remember, you and your posts are still respected around here! ;)

There were a few "experts" here who suggested the discreet mode could not be provided in the M8/M8u because hardware changes were required...
... some of us believe (and Leica seems to admit) that discreet mode would work on the M8.u but was disabled in firmware.

Mark, I'm sure I'm not one of the 'experts,' but I was convinced it wasn't possible without hardware. Scott, you were kind enough to explain why that assumption was wrong, and I'm glad it was.

(How do you say "hint, hint" in German?) :D
You don't.

<g>

In this case, several words sort of fit, but you'd have to check with a native. All these carry different aspects of "hint," but none carry that twinkle in the eye: Fingerzeig, Hinweis, Tipp, Wink--to be used in forms such as „Das ist als Hinweis an Leica gemeint,“ or „Das ist mein Fingerzeig an Leica“ or „Ein Wink an Leica Marketing.“ Not as direct as in English, so I guess in the end, Nugat is right: you don't. :)

I am sorry that I hijacked the original thread. Thanks to everyone for their patience and understanding. Russell

Russell--My lord, no apology necessary. By mentioning your problem with upgrading, you got assistance. That's what the forum is about. You didn't hijack anything.

... this now brings us the question if someone who has bought an M8.2 can get it upgraded to the 1/8000 shutter while keeping the fast ISO change etc.?

Stephen--seems to me a reasonable question as well. If we can have an M8u, why not an M8.2d?

Edited by ho_co

My working assumption is that the delayed recock was a feature that was developed for the M8.2 hardware . I assume that Leica has finite resources for testing, and so most likely deferred testing the delayed recock against the original M8 hardware until after releasing the M8.2 to market. It would have been a poor decision imho to delay launching the M8.2 to allow testing of the delayed recock feature on the M8 hardware.

Coming from the world of software development, where 'everything' is possible - there is not a zero cost to rolling out a feature to multiple platforms. Often, this means that that rollout is staged. So just because it is technically possible, doesn't mean it's practically possible in a given time period. Leica must be careful to consider the possible impact of any firmware change on the camera, I for one would not relish having to send my camera back for a jammed shutter just because someone 'knew' that there would be no impact of releasing delayed recocking to the M8.

So, I'm glad they released it with the new firmware. I very much doubt if it was a calculated marketing ploy.

That is a good explanation.

Guest Luis D

"Once upon a time..."

"...and they lived happily ever after."

But the important thing is, we with the M8 will have the feature as option, finally. So, I just say "thank you, Leica" and leave it at that.

"Once upon a time..."

"...and they lived happily ever after."

But the important thing is, we with the M8 will have the feature as option, finally. So, I just say "thank you, Leica" and leave it at that.

LOL

Luis,

Happy you said it... I think exactly in the same way... I wonder how many original M8 are still unsold (even after rebates and Sterling exchange rates)... and how many M8.2 Leica has sold since photokina '08... Considering the actual World economic situation, Leica's position was not longer bearable...

Edited by ArtZ

LOL

Luis,

Happy you said it... I think exactly in the same way... I wonder how many original M8 are still unsold (even after rebates and Sterling exchange rates)... and how many M8.2 Leica has sold since photokina '08... Considering the actual World economic situation, Leica's position was not longer bearable...

what ArtZ said.

PS: I love this image of the technicians at Solms nervously testing the M8 shutter right up to the last minute release of the firmware - I see a sort of Das Boot extreme close-up of a sweating brow, and a shaky hand reaching out to apprehensively press the shutter...

Ah, all good stuff!

what ArtZ said.

PS: I love this image of the technicians at Solms nervously testing the M8 shutter right up to the last minute release of the firmware - I see a sort of Das Boot extreme close-up of a sweating brow, and a shaky hand reaching out to apprehensively press the shutter...

Ah, all good stuff!

The first time the war correspondent Leutnant Werner onboard U96 shoots his Leica in the torpedo department, a greasy cloth lands right in his face....is that what is about to happen to us after installing FW 2.004? ;-D

Regards

Stefan

PS: No vintage cameras were harmed....Lt. Werner takes the camera from his face milliseconds before the greasy impact...

BLOODY BRILLIANT!

This is tremendous news.

.............. Chris

Sometimes what certain people describe as "whining" pays off. Leica does indeed listen and at least consider customer requests and concerns. Fortunately, some here are not afraid to advocate for changes they think are reasonable and constructive. Some of us "whine" in public to Leica and some in private.

I imagine that people who decry "whining" have gained nothing from the revised frame lines or, now, the availability of the "discreet advance" on the M8. But if they have benefited (or will benefit) from these features, perhaps they'll rethink the difference between "whining" and advocating for changes that benefit M8 photographers.

Cheers,

Sean (A proud selective "whiner" to Leica since 2004)

But if they have benefited (or will benefit) from these features, perhaps they'll rethink the difference between "whining" and advocating for changes that benefit M8 photographers.

Cheers,

Sean (A proud selective "whiner" to Leica since 2004)

I'll raise a glass to that one too! :cool:

Does it not depend upon how the whining is done?

"I want, I want!" or "Leica OWE it to me!" don't seem to be as constructive, to my mind, as some of the more considered approaches, that are likely to have a more positive response.

Good Grief! This thread started off well but disintegrated into a bun fight. Leica just offered something which people have been asking for for many months. I fail to see how this anything other than a good thing.

I couldn't agree more!

I've followed this thread from with great interest and amusement from the day the OP posted it.

I had 2 M8's, with no problems at all. When the upgrade was offered last year I was planning to have them both done. I then spoke with my dealer in London who convinced me not to do the upgrade, save the money, and to rather purchase an M8.2 and he offered to buy back 1 of my M8's. I made a conscious decision to take the plunge, and so far very pleased!

Leica now offers a FW update that gives some added benefit and upgrade to the original spec. of my M8 at no cost. I'm now even more pleased with this situation! I don't understand where this is a problem and how can it ever be a cause of aggravation, irrespective of what Leica did or didn't do, in the view of some here, in order to "screw" its customers. I really don't get it.

On the other hand the one company that did screw me good and solid was Contax/Yashica/Kyocera. I had two RTSIII with a mountain of money invested in Carl Zeiss C/Y mount lenses, they then introduced the Contax N Digital FF DSLR and changed the mount to an N mount. So there I sat with a fortune in lenses unusable on their new digital system. Kyocera then decides to drop out of the camera business and all its users are dumped right in to the shit.

The big difference with Leica is that I can still use my 1954 M lenses or even my 1937 Telyt lens via Visoflex on my M8 & M8.2, there's a lot to be said for that.

Does it not depend upon how the whining is done?

"I want, I want!" or "Leica OWE it to me!" don't seem to be as constructive, to my mind, as some of the more considered approaches, that are likely to have a more positive response.

Yes, of course it does IMHO. In fact, that's an important distinction and one that I hope lots of people keep in mind.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by sean_reid

Guest malland

Andy, Sean:

I wouldn't call it "whining" to discuss features common on other digital cameras that one feels should be on the M8, such as a direct ISO changing facility (like that for changing EV) or a firmware alternative for lens identification as an alternative to lens coding (like that on high-end Nikon cameras). It seems to me that, while Leica sometimes listens to user requests, the company needs to me more customer oriented and sensitive to maintaining customer goodwill.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Wiang Pa Pao - a set on Flickr