Mobile geotagging for CL images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, does anyone have a solution for geotagging dng images (in this case from Leica CL) that does not involve using a laptop or desktop computer, only an Android phone?  As far as I can tell the Leica Fotos app does not geotag with the CL.  I want a mobile solution to apply the locations from a gpx file in the image metadata before doing any other post processing.  I've been geotagging my images for years, tried loads of apps, used a GPS module on my Nikon etc.  There is a way to do it mobile on iOS but only embedded in jpegs.   Mylio allows me to do it on Android but manually, each photo individually using the map view, labour intensive, inaccurate and eyesight-threatening on a tiny screen.  My default is Houdahgeo and a laptop, I want to leave the laptop at home.  I found the linked discussion which is 4 years old now so I thought I would ask here, maybe someone has a mobile solution.  P.S. I know some don't see the point of geocoding / actively avoid it but I find it a useful piece of metadata.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My solution is to take a quick snap here and there at a location that I want to geotag later (or that I just want to remember). Then, at home at the computer I add the iPhone pictures based on date and time in between the Leica DNGs. Usually I do not bother with geotagging the DNG files, but if I want to, Digikam (free software) can do the job, just by selecting one iPhone files info and then copy pasting them to the corresponding DNG files.

Edited by dpitt

2 hours ago, dpitt said:

My solution is to take a quick snap here and there at a location that I want to geotag later (or that I just want to remember). Then, at home at the computer I add the iPhone pictures based on date and time in between the Leica DNGs. Usually I do not bother with geotagging the DNG files, but if I want to, Digikam (free software) can do the job, just by selecting one iPhone files info and then copy pasting them to the corresponding DNG files.

Thanks for the helpful reply, I'm looking for a solution that does not require a computer.

4 hours ago, GFW2-SCUSA said:

Write the time and location on a piece of paper and take a picture of it. Simple and no computer needed. 

My personal location awareness isn't that good...if I knew the coordinates, how do you get that information into the image metadata to geotag the images?

Why can't you just record your locations with your phone, and then geotag them when you are back home with your computer? You probably have to edit your images before you can use them anyway. How long are you going to be away from your computer?

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Just Google geotagging app android and you will find quite a few. 
this one works well:  https://www.rsbauer.com/gps4camera

If it should be IOS only just buy an old iPhone 6 or something. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I've probably tried them all at some stage. There are lots of ways to record the gpx track, it's how to then use that to tag a batch of photos without using a desktop / laptop computer.  There is at least one that comes close on iOS but not Android.

7 hours ago, evikne said:

then geotag them when you are back home with your computer

That’s what I do now, it works but I am looking for an option to geotag on the Android phone.  That would allow the images to be automatically synced from the phone to Lightroom etc in an already geotagged state.  It cuts some steps from the process.

Posted (edited)

Did you ever think about switching to the Leica TL2?
With EVF it is close to the performance of the CL and it has geo tagging built in. (in the EVF)
Not sure if lugging around two APS-C camera's make sense for you but if you do not like switching lenses out in the open, it can make sense.

Edited by dpitt

3 hours ago, dpitt said:

it has geo tagging built in

Thanks, I was not aware of that.  The CL replaced a Fuji X100F and the built in EVF was a key requirement.  I have a Nikon with a GPS module but much prefer to use the CL.  But thanks for the idea.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, andy3009 said:

Thanks, I was not aware of that.  The CL replaced a Fuji X100F and the built in EVF was a key requirement.  I have a Nikon with a GPS module but much prefer to use the CL.  But thanks for the idea.

To be clear, just like the M10, the TL and TL2 can use the GPS that is built in the EVF (020). That explains the steep price for the EVF when bought separately. For me the VF2 for X2 and M240 series was already good enough and the 020 is great, almost as good as the viewer inside the SL. But I have never compared it to the viewer of the CL.
The M240 has an optional grip that provides the GPS.

Edited by dpitt
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, o2mpx said:

Have been using this for years, they have android version: https://www.geotagphotos.net

Thanks - I use that too, it works well and the developers were very responsive but doesn't geotag locally on Android - requires a computer or iPad to do the geotagging.  I recently found this link https://discuss.pixls.us/t/geotag-mirrorless-photos-on-android/32730 that refers to 2 apps, one is no longer in the Google Play Store but I've done a quick test with Gpx2Pic and it worked on Android, although only on jpegs.

Geotagging on the TL2 with EVF is pretty spotty, I'm guessing because it doesn't have a cellular connection.  Doesn't work well in or around tall buildings.  I was in Singapore and Bali recently; in Singapore I maybe only successfully geotagged around a park.  Geotagging was much more successful in Bali.

I will bring the TL2 now if I will be traveling away from large urban centres, otherwise I will default to the CL.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found a way - an app called Rename & Organise with EXIF https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.duong.picturemanager

The developer has done something clever so it geotags dng as well as jpg.  Just remember to turn off your syncing app (Lightroom Mobile, Mylio, Dropbox or whatever) then switch it back on after geotagging and the tagged images are synced/backed up if you have WiFi or mobile internet.

Edited by andy3009