Summicron 35mm ASPH V1 - Attaching a UV filter inside the plastic lens hood

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I managed to easily attached a filter through the plastic lens cap 12526 of my Summicron 35mm ASPH V1.

Is this safe ?

Will there be any vignette? 

i would rather go with a UV filter because Ill be traveling for an extended period. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

5 hours ago, leanhallares said:

If the glass is at the rearmost (touching the front  lens part), Ithink that should not vignette.

Anyway, you will see if this vignettes and the safe part, my suggestion is to tape the filter or something to hold it safe.

As side note, the square plastic hood for 35mm is very good hood for some customization.

I use one on my Summilux pre-asph 35mm, in use this vignettes at large aperture, so I filed the four corners, and made a hole for less VF hiding.

Yes, you remove the hood and screw the 39mm thread UV filter directly onto the front of the lens and then replace the hood. This is perfectly safe and does not vignette. I have used this setup since I purchased the lens many years ago. If you at some point want to use another filter, I would recommend removing the UV filter first.

Not sure what the problem is, if any. Suffice it to remove the hood and screw the 39mm filter on the lens. Same with the Summicron 35/2 v4 and the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, leanhallares said:

So I managed to easily attached a filter through the plastic lens cap 12526 of my Summicron 35mm ASPH V1.

Is this safe ?

i would rather go with a UV filter because Ill be traveling for an extended period. 

11 minutes ago, lct said:

Not sure what the problem is, if any. Suffice it to remove the hood and screw the 39mm filter on the lens. Same with the Summicron 35/2 v4 and the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1.

I want the hood and UV filter both present. So I managed to screw the filter through the plastic lens hood already attached. 

However I know that the filter is not fully screwed in because of the plastic element of the lens hood. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Both are present the way i explained and the filter is fully screwed. Why do you want to screw the filter through the hood? Maybe i'm missing something but neither 12526 nor 12524 hoods are made for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leanhallares said:

Because if the 39mm filter is attached first you couldnt attach 12526 hood.  

There is something that does not work in your gear then. Since i use 12524 and 12526 hoods (1981...), all my 39mm filters have always attached normally first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leanhallares said:

Some 39mm filters have thicker rims (larger O.D. that might be the problem. I don't have that lens + hood, but the Summarit 35 2.5 has the hood screw on to the outside of the lens rim, and the filter to the inside (39 mm) thread. I use a B+W 007 clear MRC nano filter and the hood fits over it. Also the 010 UV filter works. Others have reported the filters they use don't allow this. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leanhallares said:

I had this problem too when I wanted to use a cheap UV filter from a small brand. It has a larger outer diameter that blocks the hood insertion. Use one from B+W and then the problem is gone.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If it's a cheap eBay UV filter you'd be better off without it anyway. Buy a B+W 39mm UV filter and in the proper sequence of events you will be able to take the lens hood off, screw the filter on fully, and then put the lens hood back on.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 4

On 3/17/2024 at 2:43 AM, a.noctilux said:

As side note, the square plastic hood for 35mm is very good hood for some customization.

I use one on my Summilux pre-asph 35mm, in use this vignettes at large aperture, so I filed the four corners, and made a hole for less VF hiding.

Do you have a link to this hood? Does it freely rotate on the Summilux pre-asph?

(Sorry for reviving this thread.)

The rectangular plastic hood shown above is either that of the Summicron 35/2 v4 (12524) or that of both Summicron 35/2 asph v1 and Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 (12526). None is made for the Summilux 35/1.4. For the latter, i would rather choose the superb (and expensive) 12504 vented hood or one of its almost as nice and much cheaper China made copies like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152375063917

• Like 1

Like others in this thread, I have a B+W filter that does not prevent attachment of the 12526 hood in the normal way. Mine is from the old F-Pro range, which had a deeper ring than their XS-Pro filters. Now they have redesigned both ranges, with more prominent knurling of the rings being the most obvious change. I assume, but don't know for sure, that both the current 'Basic' and 'Master' filters would fit, but has anyone actually tried either with this hood?

As above, don't use a cheap filter with this lens, even if it fits. If it's going to be on the lens most of the time, you want something with high quality multi-coating that is easy to clean, such as B+W MRC/MRC Nano or Hoya HD etc. (I haven't tried a Hoya filter with this hood). Uncoated or single-coated filters are more likely to flare, even if they are from a high quality brand like B+W or Hoya (if the coating isn't specified, the filter is unlikely to be multi-coated).

18 hours ago, lct said:

The rectangular plastic hood shown above is either that of the Summicron 35/2 v4 (12524) or that of both Summicron 35/2 asph v1 and Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 (12526).

Thanks! For some reason I thought it was an aftermarket hood. Seems like it has the possibility of rotating. :(

1 hour ago, weatherproof said:

Thanks! For some reason I thought it was an aftermarket hood. Seems like it has the possibility of rotating. :(

If you mean the rectangular hood, not only it can but it will rotate if you don't stick it with some tape or otherwise. Also it will cause vignetting if you don't butcher it in the corners. Not a good idea if you ask me but the buyer is king...

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, lct said:

The rectangular plastic hood shown above is either that of the......Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 (12526). None is made for the Summilux 35/1.4. For the latter, i would rather choose the superb (and expensive) 12504 vented hood or one of its almost as nice and much cheaper China made copies...

+1.

The 12504 hood (or copies thereof) is a great choice in one unusual respect...

Oft-times I use colour-contrast filters even when shooting on 'the Colour Body' because almost everything I shoot as Personal Work ends up as a monochrome image. There are, however, the odd occasions where I will come across a scene which will only really 'work' in colour. In those instances - if I'm using a lens which can accept the hood with integrally-mounted Series VII filter - I can unclip the 12504 in a second rather than having to remove a hood; unscrew a filter; re-attach the hood and reverse these actions once the snap has been taken.

FWIW I also did a comparison test which included the 12526 amongst the hoods selected. It had mimimal finder-blockage but not as little as the regular 12585 and, yes, it rotated!...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1