Who bought a second battery for their M10?

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I understand it, lithium-ion batteries perform best, over time, if they are not fully discharged, so, I prefer to swap to a fresh battery rather soon, after I see the warning displayed. So, I was quick to buy a second new battery, for my M10. Later, I added yet another M10 battery, which was, if I remember correctly, pre-owned. If I start the day with a fresh battery, will a full charge, inside the M10, I rarely need the second battery, but, I do not use an M10 for “work.” The “work” part is ensuring that I keep the batteries charged, and that I start a day of shooting with a freshly-charged battery, because they do self-discharge, whether inside or outside the camera. This does not mean that I constantly keep them at a 100% charge, because that may not be good for them, either,

I purchased a second battery very soon after having purchased my M10 six years ago. I always carry a spare battery with me, except when on a short walk. Regardless of the charge level displayed by the camera the battery may become empty unexpectedly, for example in cold conditions. Particularly one of my original batteries has developed the habit of showing 100% until suddenly becoming completely depleted, although there seems to be nothing wrong with the capacity of ghe battery. But just in case it would go suddenly bad I purchased a third battery last autumn.

When travelling I usually start the day with a set of fully charged batteries. I don't carry the charger with me all the time. The same applies for my other battery-operated devices (phone, tablet etc). I just hate having to sit somewhere waiting for the battery to charge when I could use the time for taking pictures.

• Like 1

I was lucky that when I bought my M10 off of eBay, it came with 3 batteries.  To make sure those last, I numbered them and rotate their use.  Also, like all lithium batteries, I make it a point to not run them down below 40% before recharging.  This way, the batteries are getting used evenly and never being completely run down and this practice should help preserve them as long as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kivis said:

Is there any harm in a fully charged battery staying in the charger for an indefinite period of time?

Short answer, no. 

I have five M10 cameras, all the different variant and 14 batteries plus 7 chargers, an extra charger came with an M10-D I purchased used because it had been discontinued, and another extra charger came from  person I bought two batteries from.

I wanted 15 batteries, 3 per camera but stopped at 14 because I usually just use one camera at a time and never use more than 3 batteries a day for that camera.

You can make well over two thousand photos on one battery, I always shoot manual mode, I never let the camera go to sleep and every time I shoot it is in continuous high speed. 

I have at most 3 chargers plugged in during the summer months and only 2 for winter months. 

When I travel I usually just bring 8 or 9 batteries with me for 10 days, no chargers. I tend to use a Leica MP to shoot film while on vacation, I don't use the M10 as much. 

Having at least one extra battery is a must, having two extra batteries is better. 

When I shoot on a good day I'll go through 3 batteries with about 15% left in them while filling up three 128 gig SD cards, I'm mental. 

8 hours ago, patrickcolpron said:

Short answer, no. 

I have five M10 cameras, all the different variant and 14 batteries plus 7 chargers, an extra charger came with an M10-D I purchased used because it had been discontinued, and another extra charger came from  person I bought two batteries from.

I wanted 15 batteries, 3 per camera but stopped at 14 because I usually just use one camera at a time and never use more than 3 batteries a day for that camera.

You can make well over two thousand photos on one battery, I always shoot manual mode, I never let the camera go to sleep and every time I shoot it is in continuous high speed. 

I have at most 3 chargers plugged in during the summer months and only 2 for winter months. 

When I travel I usually just bring 8 or 9 batteries with me for 10 days, no chargers. I tend to use a Leica MP to shoot film while on vacation, I don't use the M10 as much. 

Having at least one extra battery is a must, having two extra batteries is better. 

When I shoot on a good day I'll go through 3 batteries with about 15% left in them while filling up three 128 gig SD cards, I'm mental. 

I’m embarrassed to admit that I over achieved your goal of 3 batteries per M10.

I accidentally ended up with 4. In hindsight I really only need 1 spare, but some low costs ebay purchases got me to 4

3 ebay purchases were cheaper than one Leica Boutique purchase… 🤔

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, dugby said:

I’m embarrassed to admit that I over achieved your goal of 3 batteries per M10.

I accidentally ended up with 4. In hindsight I really only need 1 spare, but some low costs ebay purchases got me to 4

3 ebay purchases were cheaper than one Leica Boutique purchase… 🤔

That's funny, I honestly seldom use more than one battery except on days when I do street photography (calling my photos street is doing street photography a disservice...)  when the light is great I go all out. I think 2 spare is enough but 3 is better.

I purchased 5 out of 14 on a French online Leica Forum, 3 of them new never used from people who realised they didn't need them. 

People like us are not the norm, all my batteries except the ones I got with the M10-D are business expenses 😉 

Posted (edited)

A second battery is a must and I bought one. Why?

• On day trips, sometimes the first battery may not last a full day. 
  • Sometimes overnight charging may not be possible.

There is no workflow other than checking 'battery remaining' and if it falls below 30-40% you need to be ready to swap. I never wait for the camera to shut down.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 2