Do you make money with your M10 pictures?

wolan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, wolan said:

Hi,

do you sell your M10x pictures? If yes, which platform do you use? 

Cheers.

I shoot portraits and boudoir for private clients.

If you want to sell photographs, the platform doesn’t matter, it does not work that way unless you want to be a stock photographer (and that too is real work, they have enough flowers and sunsets).  People need to have an emotional connection to an image before they think about paying for it, or they need to think it’ll make them money somehow.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was a full time pro and freelanced for a variety of publications and organizations, but I retired before the M10 came out. I did, however, use my M8, M9, MM1 and M240 for a lot of my work. I also had full Nikon and Canon systems (not at the same time) and used them for work that the M system is not designed for. Specifically, that would be anything requiring long, fast lenses (300 f2.8, 600 f4) and fast autofocus. The system I used depended entirely on the type of assignment. A good portion of my work was environmental portraits for various magazines and very often I went out with my M system. That also was the case back in the film era when I shot a high percentage of my assignments with a pair of M6s and a half dozen lenses. 

My final paying gig was done post retirement when a bank client talked me into briefly getting back in the game to produce calendars for two consecutive years. Those were done exclusively with the M10, a camera perfectly suited for landscapes and cityscapes.

• Like 7

I use Nikon DSLR and Leica M10 together for my work. Nikon is still about 80% when Leica (of course) 20%. 
Porcentaje are inverted to 20% + 80% in some cases, but I'm still a chicken to use Leica M - exclusively. Now, I would need an extra body, more batteries, and three more lenses to make it work. No rush at all. When It's time to decide, I promise you I will be ready. 

I tried the SL2-S recently. It's a beautiful camera, but it's not the camera I need. I bought a D780 instead 😅. I still believe in OVF. I'm old school.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Dennis said:

I use Nikon DSLR and Leica M10 together for my work. Nikon is still about 80% when Leica (of course) 20%. 
Porcentaje are inverted to 20% + 80% in some cases, but I'm still a chicken to use Leica M - exclusively. Now, I would need an extra body, more batteries, and three more lenses to make it work. No rush at all. When It's time to decide, I promise you I will be ready. 

I tried the SL2-S recently. It's a beautiful camera, but it's not the camera I need. I bought a D780 instead 😅. I still believe in OVF. I'm old school.

I checked out your website. Top notch work. Really outstanding! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I must say that both yourself brent [fotografr] and dennis have a beautiful collection of images on their respective platforms  and though i am no youngster these collections of quality images are a great help to improving my photography.

For several years i have done a large photobook of my 88 year old  dads amazing garden and your "out of the ground" section on smugmug certainly helped with last years book and will help with next years.

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

I really appreciate it. Thanks for stop by, you made my day!

So I did a look at your gallery. I found many beautiful photos. But IMHO, The Direction Unknown collection is simply outstanding: I really love the moments of your imagery, and with these balanced BW tones, it's a joy to the eyes. Thanks for sharing. 
Try to post on IG asap, and you will have another follower.

Can I ask you the % (approx.) of film vs. digital in the BW collection? I'm curious. 

😉  

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

must say that both yourself brent [fotografr] and dennis have a beautiful collection of images on their respective platforms  and though i am no youngster these collections of quality images are a great help to improving my photography.

Thank you for your words 🙏 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought an M10-R in November with no intention of trying to make money with it, despite the fact that I’ve run my photography business as my sole source of income for years.

I’m in the fortunate position of no longer needing to work full time in my business, so I cherry-pick my paid work and spend most of my photographic life enjoying myself instead. 

I have a few landscape workshops, weddings and events booked in for this year and I might use the M10-R for the occasional shot.

On the run up to Christmas I sold 5 landscape prints through Social Media that had been made with my M10-R.  I had posted the images mainly for the interest of friends, not primarily for sales.

• Like 2

No. I'm still making money from M9s though😉. And I still sell images taken on 5D cameras, S2Pro cameras and even from transparencies. Making money from a camera has nothing to do with its technical capabilities and a lot to do with the image being viable for its required purpose. I've been freelance for over 30 years and have used numerous camera all of which have been used to make money.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dennis said:

Can I ask you the % (approx.) of film vs. digital in the BW collection? I'm curious. 

😉  

Thank you for your words 🙏 

Thank you very much, Dennis. My change from film to digital began in 1999 and by 2006 when I bought my first M8 I was completely digital. At this point I'd say 90 percent of the images in my B&W collection are digital. 

Edited by fotografr
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

I must say that both yourself brent [fotografr] and dennis have a beautiful collection of images on their respective platforms  and though i am no youngster these collections of quality images are a great help to improving my photography.

For several years i have done a large photobook of my 88 year old  dads amazing garden and your "out of the ground" section on smugmug certainly helped with last years book and will help with next years.

Thanks much for the kind words, Steve.

• Like 1

I do commercial, editorial and fine art for a full time living. In early 2020 I also took on the role of photo editor for a high end culinary and farming magazine and do most of the photos for it. I use my M10-P for ancillary images in fine art and commercial work but most of it's heavy lifting is in editorial / story telling. 

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

Or do you sell them all and get a couple of M11s?

Do you know what? Being the M11 lighter, I was thinking was it feels like use two cameras with two lens attached, on you. Then, a few minutes later I read your post.

I'm scared. And thrilled at the same time, lol

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2022 at 12:48 AM, Dennis said:

Dennis, I also checked out your website. VERY nice!!!!! Really like your eye.
Mark in Boston