Why I will keep my hands off the successor to the Panasonic S1R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

56 minutes ago, 01maciel said:

Agreed, but that was not the point of my initial post. I criticise the model maintenance of Panasonic's flagship. After the camera was released, a few bugs in the firmware were fixed and a few lacklustre features were added, and that was it. No further support. Now you are invited to switch to the new S1R II model. Because the new model is much faster, shinier and more bling. That's the point at which I no longer play along with Panasonic. Pity, good camera but inadequate support. They have copied that from Sony 👾

Personally I prefer software that needs few to no updates. If I compare my S5ii to my S5 it is certainly faster, but it is far less shiny and neither has bling as far as I can see.

Posted (edited)

Aslong everything is working fine, why should there come firmware updates which are not promised in advance? One buys the camera with the features known at the moment of purchase. Adding new features by firmware-update is not selfevident. Panasonic seems to be more generous as some of its competitors.

The S5 got 9 updates from 09/2020 to 10/2023 comprising 3 updates with new functions.

The S1R got 10 updates from 04/2019 to 01/2024 comprising 6 updates with new functions.

Sorry, I don't see any reason to complain about Panasonics update philosophy.

AND: I will buy the S1(R) II for sure and looking forward to it!

Edited by DirkZ

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DirkZ said:

The S5 got 9 updates from 09/2020 to 10/2023 comprising 3 updates with new functions.

Really? I never even checked. I never do updates unless I see a need. Except for computer and smartphone operating systems - for security.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb DirkZ:

The S1R got 10 updates from 04/2019 to 01/2024 comprising 6 updates with new functions.

According to their web site, they released 9 firmware updates.

A good question is actually whether a buyer of a technical device is entitled to updates at all or whether they can expect them. The example of smartphones is a good illustration of how new devices are thrown onto the market to boost sales and older models are left to their own without any patches or updates. However, this is now changing as Android manufacturers have realised that Apple can use the unique selling point of long-term updates as a good sales argument with iPhones.

The pure figures for Panasonic's updates to the S1R are admittedly quite impressive. If you take a closer look, it turns out that the last update was in 2021. In 2024 there was only an extension for the use of Panasonic's own macro lenses. A sales update.

From 2019 - 2021, according to the release notes, there were mainly improvements to functions that were somehow not ready for the launch of the camera. There were also a few new features, most of them were video related.
Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned when I expect a product costing several thousand Euros to be properly maintained by the manufacturer these days. Panasonic itself has labelled their flagship S1R as a discontinued model since 2021 through passivity. This coincided with the last update. On the other hand this long-term view of products is the essential characteristic of Leica and its commercial success. Long story short: perhaps I should consider buying the new SL3 ❤️.

Should it be maintained when it needs no maintenance? My non-updated S5 has shown no need. 

with some brands updates are treated as a marketing tool. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 20 Minuten schrieb 01maciel:

a product costing several thousand Euros

Panasonic is a lot "cheaper" than Leica. Leica's cameras need firmware updates. When they hit the market, the firmware is not finished having a lot of bugs and functions are not completed. This is not the case with Panasonic. They have more ressources for programming good and reliable firmware.

Posted (edited)
vor 6 Stunden schrieb 01maciel:

perhaps I should consider buying the new SL3 ❤️.

That's your decision. But just to believe Leica is doing better in updating firmware, I wouldn't choose for the SL3. As said, Leica's firmware is kind of beta in the beginning. So, you'll be glad getting firmware updates for fixing issues. But I prefer a firmware that's fine in the beginning instead of waiting for updates to get issues solved.

Edited by DirkZ
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DirkZ said:

When they hit the market, the firmware is not finished having a lot of bugs and functions are not completed.

No (relevant?) bugs are being reported for SL3. All functions that are promised have been implemented. Future firmware may add new functionality, as we hope occurs with any camera.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes. A lot of fanfare on the Internet. Most are for the Video part. The only really interesting one for (wildlife) photographers is the addition of animal eye recognition  This is the  reason for me to update. Otherwise I would skip it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes. A lot of fanfare on the Internet. Most are for the Video part. The only really interesting one for (wildlife) photographers is the addition of animal eye recognition  This is the  reason for me to update. Otherwise I would skip it. 

From the bits I have watched, I'm expecting not just the addition of animal eye, and the other modes, but that AF as a whole is a little "stickier" - every bit of improvement is most welcome in this department.

• Like 2

• Automatic detection function has been enhanced.
    •Tracking and recognition performance of human recognition have been improved.
    •It is possible to set [Target Parts] and detect eyes for [ANIMAL].
    •[CAR] and [MOTORCYCLE] have been added to automatic detection.

I had no complaints about human detection and tracking. I found the yellow boxes quite responsive and fast, but then, I don't photograph running kids. I'm not sure that I need car and motorcycle detection...

On the whole I would say slightly underwhelming for photographers and quite useful for video shooters.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb DirkZ:

And again...Panasonic providing a bunch of new features by firmware update to the Lumix S5II(X)...

Sounds good but the S5II is quite new. Seems to be OT btw since the thread about the S1R