Leica SL or Panasonic S1R?

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a user of SL 601 who makes landscapes in remote areas, I truly appreciate its GPS -- cellphones have no reference where I shoot.  Now I can give a map to my clients.

I also really like that my M lenses (now all 6 bit) record the EXIF properly.  And the interface is (almost) perfect...

Would I lose GPS and M lens EXIF if I get a Panasonic as my second (?) body?  I know that I lose GPS on the SL2 (I also have an external GPS for my Canon body)

• Like 1

I owned both of these and kept the SL2 for several reasons:

The grip is more comfortable for my hand, it is a little lighter (roughly 100g).

The optics of the viewfinder are far superior - the image is much crisper.

It records 4K cine (4096 x 2160) at 24 fps in 10 bit 4:2:2 internally on sd cards.

Also finish and design are nicer - but a few more ergonomically placed buttons would have been better.

It will hold its value better (because some day you'll sell it...).

I don't notice much difference in EVF with more use. I do notice it offer only two stage zoom, the first stage is not enough but 2nd stage is quite blurred looks almost like 400% zoom in LightRoom. Pretty bad actually. I think latest Sony and Nikon Z is better actually. 

But like I said, even with all its flaws, I still think SL2 is the best tool for me who is with S and M glasses in hand. 

I have an SL, S1 & S1R. One thing I haven't seen commented on is the ability to adjust the viewfinder separately from the rear LCD on the S1 & S1R (brightness, color, auto vs. fixed, etc). Just note you have to be looking through the viewfinder to access those settings. When you try to access that menu through the rear LCD, you can only see settings for the rear LCD. 

As for the S Pro 50mm f1.4, would have to agree it's an amazingly sharp optic wide open, more stopped down to f2.8 or f4. Very nice falloff and bokeh. Paired with either the SL or S1R, it's a beast to carry due to its weight.

I'm keeping my SL for adapting M-mount lenses (Leica & Contax).

Off topic, the Sigma 45mm f2.8 is wonderful to carry and shoot with on either body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Echoben said:

I have an SL, S1 & S1R. One thing I haven't seen commented on is the ability to adjust the viewfinder separately from the rear LCD on the S1 & S1R (brightness, color, auto vs. fixed, etc). Just note you have to be looking through the viewfinder to access those settings. When you try to access that menu through the rear LCD, you can only see settings for the rear LCD. 

As for the S Pro 50mm f1.4, would have to agree it's an amazingly sharp optic wide open, more stopped down to f2.8 or f4. Very nice falloff and bokeh. Paired with either the SL or S1R, it's a beast to carry due to its weight.

I'm keeping my SL for adapting M-mount lenses (Leica & Contax).

Off topic, the Sigma 45mm f2.8 is wonderful to carry and shoot with on either body.

I didn't realize that... where in the MENU can you access that??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Page 4597 of the manual .... :rolleyes:

..... actually it's 352 ..... menu-card/file-monitor settings. 

as above, those crafty lumix people know if you are using the EVF and alter and save the parameters for that ..... and if you are viewing the LCD it alters and saves the LCD values.

I've never had cause to change things, but it does show you the amount of care and thought the Panasonic Engineers put into these cameras.

Personally I think the S1R and S1 are the 'sleepers' of 2019 ...... low lens availability, CDAF and novelty of the L mount made them a hard sell, but almost all who have had and used the cameras for review really appreciated them in both ergonomics and quality and didn't find AF that much of an issue - it's just that when compared to Sony AF everything else seems like crap. They really haven't had the recognition and popularity they deserve which is a real shame. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thighslapper said:

Page 4597 of the manual .... :rolleyes:

..... actually it's 352 ..... menu-card/file-monitor settings. 

as above, those crafty lumix people know if you are using the EVF and alter and save the parameters for that ..... and if you are viewing the LCD it alters and saves the LCD values.

I've never had cause to change things, but it does show you the amount of care and thought the Panasonic Engineers put into these cameras.

Personally I think the S1R and S1 are the 'sleepers' of 2019 ...... low lens availability, CDAF and novelty of the L mount made them a hard sell, but almost all who have had and used the cameras for review really appreciated them in both ergonomics and quality and didn't find AF that much of an issue - it's just that when compared to Sony AF everything else seems like crap. They really haven't had the recognition and popularity they deserve which is a real shame. 

I just repurchased an S1R :) 

The S1 is amazing in low light... but I find the extra resolution of the R more useful to me.

Paid 2K shipped with an extra battery... crazy good deal.

Really like these bodies... huge value compared to the SL2.

• Like 1

Under the 4th tab down (Blue Wrench), select second tab down titled "Monitor/Display 1"

Then look through the viewfinder and the options change for 4th (Monitor Settings) and 5th (Monitor Backlight) to Viewfinder and LVF Luminance.

This setting is only accessible If you look through the viewfinder while on this tab.

Under Viewfinder, you can adjust Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Red Tint and Blue Tint to taste

Under LVF Luminance, the default is AUTO (changes based on lighting conditions). You can change that to any other setting (range of 7 levels from +3 to -3).

1 hour ago, Echoben said:

Under the 4th tab down (Blue Wrench), select second tab down titled "Monitor/Display 1"

Then look through the viewfinder and the options change for 4th (Monitor Settings) and 5th (Monitor Backlight) to Viewfinder and LVF Luminance.

This setting is only accessible If you look through the viewfinder while on this tab.

Under Viewfinder, you can adjust Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Red Tint and Blue Tint to taste

Under LVF Luminance, the default is AUTO (changes based on lighting conditions). You can change that to any other setting (range of 7 levels from +3 to -3).

Thanks!!!

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Donzo98:

I just repurchased an S1R :) 

The S1 is amazing in low light... but I find the extra resolution of the R more useful to me.

Paid 2K shipped with an extra battery... crazy good deal.

Really like these bodies... huge value compared to the SL2.

So you have the best of both worlds now.  I’ll go with the Sigma fp.  It has the same sensor as the S1 but is pocketable which means it can always be carried along and used in low-light, high contrast scenes with lots of movement in them.  

On 1/29/2020 at 10:53 AM, Ivar B said:

I am aware of this, of course. One point, to quote Sean Reid, is that the files from the SL are cleaner than files from the S1R and the SL2, although that difference shrinks a lot when the 47MP files are downsampled to 24MP. Being a generation older, does not by definition make you inferior.

The files of almost all the 24mp cameras may appear cleaner when compared to full size 47mp (or 42 or 50mp) cameras.  I believe this is why Sean Reid downsizes the high MP files before he makes his conclusion, that the SL2 (and S1r) is actually cleaner than the SL when images of the same resolution are compared.   In higher MP files, a higher gross number of pixels are shown as noise (thus the image may appear to have more noise), but in reality there is not a higher ratio of noisy (if that’s a word) pixels to clean pixels.   Thus when downsampled, the pictures are compared for noise to signal ratio.  

I think? 

Edited by NRKstudio
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Chaemono said:

So you have the best of both worlds now.  I’ll go with the Sigma fp.  It has the same sensor as the S1 but is pocketable which means it can always be carried along and used in low-light, high contrast scenes with lots of movement in them.  

The fp sensor is a BSI design, so not the same.

I suggest you try the fp before using it as an alternative to the S1 for a street or social camera - unless you take the unpocketable external LCD loupe, framing and focusing is a PITA.

This thread adds energy to the notions that swirl around my head: I could trade my SL, with a little extra cash, for a S1R, as a functionally direct replacement..........but then, for the price of a new SL2 I could buy a used S 007 (ignoring the cost of the lenses), which would be better for portrait photography, though my CL would have to step up and do some of the low light stuff I use the SL for........or instead of the S 007 I could get a M10 Monochrom which could do some of my low light theatre stuff, although the CL is not quite there for the best colour portraits......but then.....

....and round and round it goes.....

.....and I stick with what I've got, and try to be a better photographer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

.....and I stick with what I've got, and try to be a better photographer.

In your heart you know you need a new camera to make you take better images ..... in the immortal words of Mrs Doyle ..... go on, go on .... go on .....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For anyone plan to get WA or SWA summicron SL, stay with SL2. I know people say they are similar but you pay a lot more for small margin there. You don't want it gone this way and just feel good about you have the best glass in the world. Just saying. 

For me, to make M lens behave close to what they are capable of, I paid ticket. 

• Like 1

Enlightening discussion.  I have in my possession a rental S1R. It's interesting but not compelling.  I value not just the images but the shooting experience. I love the M. I like the SL for R lenses (bc the focus zoom is automatic rather than having to press a button as on the S1R).

If I ever decide to go autofocus -- if I were an event photographer or my aging eyes get the better of me -- I think the S1R would be great... it's a practical choice.  But as a feeling photographer, one who fondles cameras and takes portrait pictures within the event (rather than at the event) it leaves much to be desired.

I guess that puts me into the fountain pen & mechanical watch crowd. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Having just experienced the “system error” problem with one of my SL2 bodies I’m seriously considering getting a used S1r body as a back up and maybe even moving across to Pana bodies wholesale if I like it. I’ve never really enjoyed using M lenses on the SL2 (why??) so wouldn’t miss that feature.

QUESTION. In 2023 given the concerns I have over the SL2 and with a lovely set of SL glass (35 / 75 APO + 24-90 / 90-280) what would I be losing (other than a worry about hitting a critical failure during a paid shoot!)?  I like the UX of the Leica interface, but I know I could get my head round the S1r’s knobs and buttons. And a used mint S1r body can be had for under £1500! 

Edited by chris_tribble

No. IQ is essentially the same. The body is somewhat larger and heavier, but it also adds some utility that the SL2 doesn't have, like a three-way flip screen and more programable buttons. The IBIS in the SL2 is marginally better. They both have the same high res shot functionality, same EVF, same AF speed etc.

There was some chatter that the SL2 might have a thinner sensor filter stack for the M lenses and this might lead to a *slight* improvement in acuity. But I've directly tested them side by side and I can't see it.

I had my 2x S1R bodies before the SL2 was announced and have taken them all over the world with no issues. But once I got my SL2 I did find I preferred it to the S1R despite the S1R being more featured. But I didn't get a second SL2 either as the S1R's were always there, just in case. I still have them and use them occasionally, especially on a tripod where the flip screen becomes useful.

Great camera. Highly recommended.

Gordon

• Like 3