Updating firmware Leica SL lens on Panasonic S1R

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess this may have been discussed before, but I could not find it.

I own an APO-Summicron-SL 2/75, which I use on the Panasonic S1R. It appears that on 25 March a new firmware for this lens was released.

The camera reports that no firmware update data is avaiable, but the file is there.

I just downloaded and installed firmware update for the Sigma MC-21, and there were no issues at all.

Anyone knows how to update firmware for the lens? Could the "problem" potentially be like updating firmware on a Leica SL? As I understand, no lens update is needed there as it is automatically performed when the camera firmware is upgraded. 

On 4/28/2020 at 6:08 PM, Ivar B said:

I guess this may have been discussed before, but I could not find it.

I own an APO-Summicron-SL 2/75, which I use on the Panasonic S1R. It appears that on 25 March a new firmware for this lens was released.

The camera reports that no firmware update data is avaiable, but the file is there.

I just downloaded and installed firmware update for the Sigma MC-21, and there were no issues at all.

Anyone knows how to update firmware for the lens? Could the "problem" potentially be like updating firmware on a Leica SL? As I understand, no lens update is needed there as it is automatically performed when the camera firmware is upgraded. 

Ivar as far as I recall when I had the S1R, the Leica SL lenses can only be updated on an SL or SL2 body. You can also update on a CL body. You'll need to download the firmware onto an SD card, take your lens &  go into a camera shop & borrow a CL or SL body and do the update.

Best

Mike 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb michali:

Ivar as far as I recall when I had the S1R, the Leica SL lenses can only be updated on an SL or SL2 body. You can also update on a CL body. You'll need to download the firmware onto an SD card, take your lens &  go into a camera shop & borrow a CL or SL body and do the update.

Best

Mike 

If that's true than the L-mount alliance does not look good. You can update Sigma L-Mount lens firmware from a Panasonic L-Mount camera and I hope that you can update Panasonic L-Mount lenses from a Sigma fp. From the L-Mount alliance I expect that you can do firmware updates in any lens / camera combination (Leica included).

8 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

If that's true than the L-mount alliance does not look good. You can update Sigma L-Mount lens firmware from a Panasonic L-Mount camera and I hope that you can update Panasonic L-Mount lenses from a Sigma fp. From the L-Mount alliance I expect that you can do firmware updates in any lens / camera combination (Leica included).

It was even worse, up until last year you couldn't even update a Leica SL lens on the Leica CL..... see my post from August last year below:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/300553-trying-to-update-sl-lens-firmware-on-cl-body-how/

That seems to have changed  with the latest FW update, & apparently you can now do a FW update of SL lenses on the CL.......

On 5/2/2020 at 8:51 AM, michali said:

Best

Mike 

I can`t possibly believe that the L-alliance could have made such a poor decision. Luckily, I own a CL as well but there is hardly any alliance if this should be the case.

I own a Sigma MC-21 mount converter as well. There have been two updates, and the first one was very important. There was absolutely no issues updating the Sigma on a Panasonic body, so why should a Leica product not be the same?

• 3 years later...

Hmm. The current page seems to indicate that you can update an SL lens on an S series body:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the updated link is herehttps://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html

Yes

On 10/22/2023 at 9:47 AM, chris_tribble said:

Hmm. The current page seems to indicate that you can update an SL lens on an S series body:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the updated link is herehttps://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html

Yes you can, here is how: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/327612-firmware-update-for-sl-lenses/?do=findComment&comment=4344438