Panasonic S1ii / S1R ii

I think the best sources are the camera rumour websites, you will find a handful via google search. Sometimes they have quite early and accurate information about new cameras.

Nothing specific about new Panasonic cameras. I hope they learned from the S1/S1R that chunky bodies don't sell and make everything S5 size or smaller. A Pana GX80 full frame would be great. That body format is only offered by Sony right now.

• Like 3

I suspect Panasonic will back away from the larger S1 body type and make something smaller, perhaps a touch bigger than the S5 but not as much as the S1. There are very vague rumours of a S1 X floating around, but nothing definite. It's a shame because Panasonic could really do with a proper pro level mirrorless body, I think they just overengineered the S1. After all, the S1 is 1kg and the SL2S is 800g!

@tom.w.bn A full frame GX85 would be amazing! The GX85 is the camera I carry the most at the moment due to the size, weight and shape. Second most carried camera is the G9. The S5 feels okay, but the grip of the G9 has spoiled me for anything less, and if I'm going to carry a mirrorless with EVF hump, it might as well feel good in the hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

S5ii is a real improvement and has moved the camera into the top ranks of hybrid professional cameras. TIPA award : best expert camera 2023. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, helged said:

Should know at 17:00 CET https://www.l-rumors.com

FW 3.0 for S5ii/S5iix will be available on April 21 from https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html. Regarding AF:

"The improved real-time auto-focus system enhances the highly accurate Phase Hybrid auto focus of the S5II and S5IIX, efficiently recognizing people amongst multiple subjects. It also features an animal eye recognition function, to focus on and follow animal eyes, as well as a car and motorcycle recognition function, which is ideally suited for shooting motorsports."

This FW update could also indicate where cAF of SL3 will be heading.

Edited by helged