London New Year's Meet-up 2023

farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In those days between Christmas and New Year when the turkey's been relegated to sandwiches, the tree is wilting, the prezzies have lost their sparkle and luster, and it's getting dangerously close to considering putting up those shelves or other household chores to find something to do, it's been a tradition in London to get together with like-minded Leica camera forum members for a little 'light refreshment', to fondle interesting photographic equipment, swap outrageous stories, have a smile and a giggle, and go for a light stroll to exercise our photographic muscles.

The pandemic got in the way a bit for the past year or two so this year it seemed to jcraf and me that it's high time that we continue the tradition and immensely enjoy ourselves as we have in past new year's meetups.

So, this year we propose to meet inside the large Riverside Terrace cafe in The South Bank Centre on London's South Bank at 11 am on Saturday 30th December 2023 and we would be delighted for others to join us.😊  The Riverside Terrace Cafe runs along the upper level beside the South Bank with views of the Thames, it is about 5 minutes walk from Waterloo Station and 2 minutes walk from the south end of The Golden Jubillee Bridge that span the Thames from Embankment tube station. You'll be able to spot us from the Leica

When we feel ready, and after cups of coffee, tea or other fortifying liquids have been finished, we will take a leisurely stroll along the South Bank towards London Bridge station pausing on the way, as desired, for photographic opporchancities* of the surrounding public, the river, the bridges, the Undercroft, the riverside architecture such as St Paul's, and whatever else catches the eye.  There are plenty of cafes, restaurants and pubs along the way and the number of partakers is people joining us is not known, so I propose that we decide what to do as the mood takes us on the day and depending on what the weather fairies kindly decide to offer.  *This is a word that clearly needed inventing.

You'll be able to find us from the Leica equipment on the table(s) in the Riverside Terrace Cafe.  You will be most welcome, and we don't bite (unless you ask us to!).

If you're planning to attend then we'd be grateful if you'd let us know by posting in this thread although we won't hold you to it of course should your circumstances change. 

For those who know me, my mobile number has not changed and if we haven't met and you'd like my number in case you can't find us or the group gets separated then please PM me on the forum and we can swap numbers.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the Riverside Terrace Cafe on Saturday 30th and helping me take pictures that afterwards I'll wonder why I took them!

Pete.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

It would be impossible for me to cross 🛳️ The Pond 🛩️ this month, but I had to like and comment, because this is such a lovely idea, and a well-composed post, including the coining of the word “opporchancities.” 

Let’s all have a safe, wonderful, happy, prosperous December and New Year! 

I shall endeavour (British spelling*) to have a parallel tea/coffee, at 0600 hours, USA Central Time, that day, followed by a photo walk with a Leica camera and lens, perhaps along one of the local bayous. (I will verify that it is a five-hour difference, to be sure.) With luck, there may be a nice sunrise about to occur, which would favor the nearby Braes Bayou, usually spelled as the Texan-ized Brays or Bray’s Bayou.

It is possible that I/we will travel locally, that day, so, the exact location may be different.

Immediately after posting this, I will place a reminder in my iPad’s calendar.

*I like typing the British “endeavour,” though US English spell-check does its best to stop me.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sounds great - also because of those intriguing "other fortifying liquids" to be consumed at 11 am.
For the 1st time - ever - I will be spending Christmas in London and would have loved to join you and put faces to some (forum) names. Unfortunately, I'll be back in the snowy (maybe) Alps by the 30th. I guess I'll have to look for photographic opporchancities on my own - probably not as fun, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ecar said:

Sounds great - also because of those intriguing "other fortifying liquids" to be consumed at 11 am.
For the 1st time - ever - I will be spending Christmas in London and would have loved to join you and put faces to some (forum) names. Unfortunately, I'll be back in the snowy (maybe) Alps by the 30th. I guess I'll have to look for photographic opporchancities on my own - probably not as fun, though.

Oh, so close, Ecar! 

I too would love to have met the man who posts so many wonderful pictures shot through so many obscure and wonderful lenses in 'The view through older glass' thread.

If you have a little spare time during your visit to London and would like to meet up for a chat, a little fotografie and, perhaps, some other fortifying liquids then please PM me and we'll see what we can arrange.  🙂

Pete.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Cantor said:

Will try my best to make it, will depend on how my wife is one the day, she’s been rather poorly and it’s difficult to predict how she will be.  If I can’t, have a great time.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear that 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' is unwell, I hope she recovers quickly, and it would be lovely to meet you if you can make it.

Cheers,

Pete.

3 hours ago, Sandokan said:

Great idea and I would love to come but with my ear in its current state, i do not fancy another plane landing with the pressure changes. 

Sorry to hear that Ravi. It would have been good to see you. Hope the ear is better soon. 

• Thanks 1

Dear All,

It doesn't appear that there will be planned public transport disruptions on Saturday 30th December but here is a link to Transport for London's travel webpage for the day

National mainline rail services should be back to a normal Saturday service following the usual Christmas engineering works 'service improvement outages'* but I recommend checking closer to the day in case Network Rail decides to unexpectedly 'improve services even more'. 

*I do recall an infamous typo on a NR planned engineering works poster some years ago when "service outage" was spelled "service outrage".  'An appropriate Freudian slip', many chortled.

Pete.

• Haha 3