28mm choices for M11 in 2023

ben

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on 28mm M choices for the M11 in 2023.

I'm thinking about the Elmarit 28 11606 or 11677 for a while. The IQ is decent and the size is ideal. They can be had for a modest price, as well.

I'm hesitant to spend more on any of the current 28 offerings (and definitely don't want/need the big Lux) , as I'm a little afraid of performance on the M11, but if an APO-Summicron 28 were to be released, I'd be all over it.

• Like 1

Short of sounding like a broken record, I can only say good things about the Voigtlander Ultron 28mm ASPH II. Certainly a much better lens in my experience than the Elmarit 28mm ASPH I (11606).  But it's not a Leica, so .... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Like 1

All my 28mm M lenses work fine on the M11. My favorites are still Summicron 28/2 v2 and Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 but both CV 28/2 asph and Rokkor 28/2.8 work fine too. Different speeds, different sizes, different characters, nothing has changed since the M11 from this viewpoint. Now one thing has changed TBH the M11's BSI sensor that allows for using WA and UWA lenses without color shifts towards edges and corners but 28mm lenses are less prone than wider lenses to that.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ben said:

…, as I'm a little afraid of performance on the M11, but if an APO-Summicron 28 were to be released, I'd be all over it.

A better sensor helps an already very good lens.  The Elmarit can shine as well, for the same reason.  Choose based on speed, cost, size/weight, ergonomics, rendering characteristics, etc, not based on fear of a stellar camera, which helps, not hurts, results.

Jeff

• Like 1

vor 15 Stunden schrieb ben:

... I'm a little afraid of performance on the M11 ...

Don't be.

A lens that was good on any previous camera will perform even better on the M11.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb ben:

... if an Apo-Summicron-M 28 were to be released, I'd be all over it.

Well ... nothing is impossible – but I wouldn't hold by breath. The current Summicron-M 28 mm Asph is fairly new and, in my opinion, not due for modernization anytime soon. The original version was excellent, and the current is even better.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ben said:

Sounds I like I owe the Cron (there's one for sale locally for a decent price) and Ultron 28 a look, I don't know much about Voigtlander lenses (tbh I probably place too much value on things saying "Leica").

Thanks for the input.

I’ve enjoyed my 28 Summicron ASPH v.1 on every M I’ve owned…from film days to M8.2 to now the M10M and M10R…although 35/50 are my preferred FLs.  

CameraQuest (Stephen Gandy) sells C-V lenses and provides a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy.  Or it can be inexpensively rented…

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/voigtlander-28mm-f2-ultron-for-leica

Jeff

• Like 3

28 Summicron ver. II 

I like it better than the 28 Summilux with the exception of the extra stop needed to get really good chicken photos.😆   Seriously, it resolves finer detail and the edge sharpness is a huge improvement over the previous version.

• Like 5

I would like to try my Walter Mandler-designed Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 Version III on an M11. I love its character, on an M10; not quite “vintage,” and not 21st-century “modern.” Then, of course, I would want to try the M11 with my Summaron 28mm f/5.6 Leica Threaded Mount, of course. 🙂

A “character lens” does not lose its usefulness when mounted on a high-MP camera. I learned this, when using DSLRs.

Well, OK, if I develop a desire to shoot highly-detailed landscapes, at 28mm, the quick-and-easy choice would be to acquire a Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II VM, which is already the choice of many serious landscape shooters, who post here, and at the Fred Miranda forum. I am likely to add this lens, sooner or later, probably long before I add an M11.

Although not a big 28mm shooter, I've had a few.

A Summaron in the 60's as well as a Hector for a short while, then an Elmarit v2. When the M8 came out I got a Summicron ASPH (v1 of course) and I tried out the cv f/1.9 and first version f/2. The f/1.9 was quite good but not outstanding, whereas the first Ultron f/2 was definitely unfortunate, as it had severe focus shift and was not better than the f/1.9 otherwise. I consider it one of the few duds in the CV line. The Elmarit ASPH was decent, but seemed rather harsh. The Summilux is great optically, but a lot bigger than I am willing to put up with for a 28. So I still have the Summicron ASPH, but will probably exchange it sometime for the current CV Ultron f/2, which is outstanding in most regards that I'm interested in, except for the stronger vignetting than the Summicron. In most regards it outperforms the Summicron, even the v2 noticeably and is a lot smaller. My use at this time is mostly on an M10M, a little bit on an M240 and also a bit on some film M's.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:34 AM, LeicaR10 said:

Didlier, Ahhh...but like 35 Apo Cron and fine French wine, both are well worth the wait...Merry Christmas!  Ho,Ho,Ho!  r/ Mark

You are absolutely right Mark !

some things are worth waiting for !

hope you all had a very nice Christmas

Didier 

• Like 1