28mm choices for M11 in 2023

ben

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Ultron 28mm 11 was delivered yesterday. I took this portrait of my son's friend shortly after receiving the lens.
This is on an M9-P.
2 Things I noticed, VERY sharp (not too much), and nicely contrasty. Vignetting is not so good at F2-F5.6. Obviously post processing will cure that. The lens seems to flare just a bit more than a Leica lens when shooting against the light. All in all, I am VERY happy with this purchase. I got the black paint one, with the round lens hood.
Good luck.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tappan said:

My Ultron 28mm 11 was delivered yesterday. I took this portrait of my son's friend shortly after receiving the lens.
This is on an M9-P...

The lens seems to flare just a bit more than a Leica lens when shooting against the light...

Interesting, I find the opposite - my lens is remarkably flare resistant.  I shot on the beach, no lens hood, with a UV filter (B+W) on the lens, and the sun either in the image, or just outside of it.  So pretty much I did everything possible to create flare.  And nothing.  Anyone of my Leica lenses would have flared to some degree.

With my M-A and C200:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Musky said:

I could’ve taken this photo with the same settings with the Ultron II and gotten the same results.

The Ultron 28/2 asph did not exist yet but it is more contrasty so unblocking the shadows would have been less easy i guess. Ultron pic below at f/2.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Musky said:

The one seen here on the right (left is the Ultron II), is softer than dog shit on a hot summer day. Very easy to tell them apart  

Uhm, I have the old Ultron and it's not that bad FFS.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jaques said:

Uhm, I have the old Ultron and it's not that bad FFS.

Agreed, my v1 is razor sharp, one of the reasons I never swapped it out for a v2

maybe you got a poor example?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, Musky said:

I’m not sure what the quote from me and your reply have to do with each other. 🤷🏻‍♂️ every time you post a sample you prove me right. Elmarit is super sharp and character-less and the Ultron can give you more character plus all the Elmarit sharpness at small apertures (after f5.6). The more samples you post the more right you make me.

The difference you see between the two pics comes from the higher contrast of the Ultron. Reason why i told you that the Ultron « is more contrasty so unblocking the shadows would have been less easy i guess ». If you want to unblock shadows in PP better have a not too contrasty lens otherwise you will get black or noisy areas hiding too much details.

29 minutes ago, Musky said:

Now I love my 28 Ultron but, you can always get the Elmarit and go by Ken Rockwell’s philosophy of VL vs Leica.

I’ll let him explain

So…. That’s the choice. Ultron vs Elmarit. You make the choice. You’ll be happy either way. 

You're mistaking the Elmarit for the Summicron here. Now someone writing like you do used to say that the Ultron is the king of 28mm lenses here. Was it you?

• Haha 1

I just received the Haoge circular lens hood for the CV 28 Ultron v2.  It is basically an identical copy of the CV version, with spring bayonet fit.  It's perfect and only $40 on Amazon.  I first tried the rectangular deep version, but that sat crooked.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Jewl said:

[...] who is going to get the new 28mm summicron with close focus? [...]

I've never used 28mm lenses for close focus so far. Only 35mm, 50mm and above but also 21mm with lenses going down to 0.4m or 0.5m like Super-Angulon 21/3.4, Biogon 21/4.5 or Skopar 21/4. For occasional use, i'd settle for my Ultron 28/2 asph i guess (0.5m) so i think i will pass on the new Summicron 28.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb lct:

I've never used 28mm lenses for close focus so far. Only 35mm, 50mm and above but also 21mm with lenses going down to 0.4m or 0.5m like Super-Angulon 21/3.4, Biogon 21/4.5 or Skopar 21/4. For occasional use, i'd settle for my Ultron 28/2 asph i guess (0.5m) so i think i will pass on the new Summicron 28.

That sounds reasonable and obviously you are well equipped 😉 I am really missing the Q‘s 28mm close focus situation sometimes and this would solve this besides having a wider lens than 35 in my repertoire!

Recently I made an order for the 28 Summilux. The close focussing would be really nice but the overall quality of the Summilux files won me over. I have had the lens for less than a week but so far it has exceeded all my expectations. I am not very skilled at reviewing lenses  and what I cant put into words are expressed through my images. I am glad this 28 lens has a great character unlike the surprisingly perfect SL Apo lenses. It's the first 28 lens in my kit although I do have a forty year old Contax/Yaschica 28 in the bottom drawer.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Can't see a mention of the TTArtisan 28mm f5.6 here. I recently purchased a used example, at MapCamera in Shinjuku, and I'm mightily impressed. These from the M10R (top two) and M10Monochrom (bottom two). I looked into getting the Leica Summaron when it came out, but baulked at the price. I never expected the TTArtisan to be as super sharp as, say, the 28mm Elmarit ASPH, but, so far, I am enjoying the rendering. I love small lenses in general, and I think this may be glued to one of the bodies, for a while at least. One thing I am not impressed with, however, is the close focus, at a measly one metre 😐

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 1:17 AM, M11 for me said:

Wonderful b/w images on your website. Great.

Re the 28mm I have actually the Summicron ASPH which is my first lens when I go out with one lens. But I am still looking for an even lighter and smaller lens as the Elmarit. That is why I am very interested in reading here. Still its a bit difficult to follow:

- Wherever an image from a specific lens is shown (actually not just in this thread) I never see a blured picture beside a crisp one with the comment that one lens is bad and the other one is good. All shown inages are always great. So I am looking for tests showing kind of same images taken with different lenses and then commenting on the different details.

- Here I just see (what is fully normal) that one after the next comment mentionned different lenses and the person mentioning a lens owns it if course and thinks its great. Lets take myself: I would never write that my Summicron is bad. As a 28 mm lens I know nothing else AND I LOVE IT

Still I am looking for less weight and even smaller lens. In that disciplin the Voightländer Ultron Type I (not II) seems to be a beast. And its even smaller than the Summicron. Still I can not stop looking at the Elmarit. So I always looking for a decent test.

Why not the Elmarit-ASPH II?  Without the hood it is the smallest current lens.  I bought one used for $2K... not exactly cheap but I'm really happy with it on the M11.

• Like 2

I'll chime in with my two cents: I'm a new Leica convert (M10) and I acquired a used Elmarit 28mm (pre-ASPH) that I'm very happy with. This lens is pretty old so it comes with a rather chunky hood, but the images it produces have heaps of character.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SuperPuppet said:

28MM Summilux on the M11P.  First photos after an 13 year break from photography.

Great pictures. I think I need to take a 13 year break from photography if that’s the result 😄

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 3:42 PM, nodrog said:

Can't see a mention of the TTArtisan 28mm f5.6 here. I recently purchased a used example, at MapCamera in Shinjuku, and I'm mightily impressed. These from the M10R (top two) and M10Monochrom (bottom two). I looked into getting the Leica Summaron when it came out, but baulked at the price. I never expected the TTArtisan to be as super sharp as, say, the 28mm Elmarit ASPH, but, so far, I am enjoying the rendering. I love small lenses in general, and I think this may be glued to one of the bodies, for a while at least. One thing I am not impressed with, however, is the close focus, at a measly one metre 😐

I too have the TTA 28mm/5.6 had it for a year now and I have been very happy with it. Build quality and performance first surprised me then delighted me when I realised that I could sell off my Leica Summaron 28 at a really good price and pocket the change.....not that the extra €€€ grew old in the pocket but buying the TTA 28mm/5.6 has proven to be a good move.......A bonus being that I managed to snag one of the Black versions whilst they were still available.

• Like 2

I have the old (v1) Ultron 2/28 and - although it might has it flaws - it works nicely on my M11. But I don‘t like the design. The highly recommended v2 is also not a favorite of mine….  I looked into the Elmarit, Summicron and Summilux Options and started to check my savings account … but now I purchased the Nokton 1.5/28 - without review, personal experience etc. Let’s see how it will perform. Hope to get it soon (delivery might be dependent on the current strike of rail personnel in Germany …) 

until then, here‘s a recent shot with the v1 Voigtländer Ultron 2/28mm, wide open (f/2) with M11

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jgeenen said:

I have the old (v1) Ultron 2/28 and - although it might has it flaws - it works nicely on my M11. But I don‘t like the design. The highly recommended v2 is also not a favorite of mine….  I looked into the Elmarit, Summicron and Summilux Options and started to check my savings account … but now I purchased the Nokton 1.5/28 - without review, personal experience etc. Let’s see how it will perform. Hope to get it soon (delivery might be dependent on the current strike of rail personnel in Germany …) 

until then, here‘s a recent shot with the v1 Voigtländer Ultron 2/28mm, wide open (f/2) with M11

Looks bloody nice to me!

• Like 1