Basel Meeting Feb 2023

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although this is not the cheapest country to eat or stay, it is a wonderful city to meet in and a huge collection of art for such a small town. 

September this year already has the Antwerp Meeting and October is booked for Athens and Dublin. November is dreary/drech, December is not available as people have family plans to take care of. By January everyone is broke, which leaves February ... which is the best month to visit Basel. 

Monday, February 27, 2023 - Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Every year, for almost 700 years, thousands of Basel residents gather at the town square on the freezing weather waiting for 04:00 o’clock. At this time 4 rings of the city clock announce the beginning of the carnival that lasts three days.

Basel Fasnacht lasts exactly three days from 4.00 a.m. on Monday morning to 4.00 a.m. on Thursday.

It is always held in the week after Ash Wednesday. Most of the carnival events take place in the city center. The carnival symbols the wish to expel the winter.

https://www.carnifest.com/basel-fasnacht-2023/

Is there any interest to come here, enjoy the city in the company of locals, join in the carnival fun, be astounded by how little of the local dialect (Schnitzelbänk, schnyytzelbangg) is understood by anyone not local. I recommend not to stay in the city centre for this, as you will not get any sleep. The Ravi to describe this event, is to imagine the Rio Carnival with its music and bikini clad crowds ... and then imagine it held in a Swiss winter, with everyone wearing fleece over their bikinis. At least I weak fleece over mine. 

Edited by Sandokan

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Do they shout ''Basel Halaoo'' lots of times and play trumpets between people telling jokes.....??

(Reference:  Koln and Cottbus carnivals.... 😁👍)

..having not partied for three days continuously and then collapsed in a heap on Rosemunde (she doesn't tend to mind...🏃‍♀️💨😁) for some time, I might well be up for this... especially if you have a concession for three pointed hats... 🥳...

Edited by robert_parker

33 minutes ago, robert_parker said:

Do they shout ''Basel Halaoo'' lots of times and play trumpets between people telling jokes.....??

(Reference:  Koln and Cottbus carnivals.... 😁👍)

..having not partied for three days continuously and then collapsed in a heap on Rosemunde (she doesn't tend to mind...🏃‍♀️💨😁) for some time, I might well be up for this... especially if you have a concession for three pointed hats... 🥳...

They do tell jokes …. But in dialect, so you just have to laugh when the others laugh 🥹. 

Full masks which have straw for hair and exaggerated big noses. I shall post some examples when i get home. 

Being a bit of a druggie Town , I am sure you will find assistance to keep partying 😉😌. We did invent LSD here but also valium. 

17 minutes ago, Sandokan said:

Being a bit of a druggie Town , I am sure you will find assistance to keep partying 😉😌. We did invent LSD here but also valium. 

No drugs necessary - just get me a three pointed hat.... 🥳👍

I would be very interested in meeting some Leica photographers in Basel. I imagine just having regular meetings in some nice restaurant and making friends and showing photographs. I am personally missing contacts with Leica M shooters that like hiking, nature or architecture and maybe some traveling with our M cameras.

On the other hand I like the idea to meet for "Fasnacht" (carneval) even tough the town will be crowded and not so ideal for what I imagine such a meeting would be for.

But still thank you to @Sandokan. Very apreceated.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello!
I liked the idea to be in Bern a few days, the carnival and the museums and certainly more to it ??
So I booked flight and Hotel (Ibis styles have no idea about the hotels and what's best).
Looking forward to this. 230227 - 230303.

Ted

3 hours ago, Ted99 said:

Hello!
I liked the idea to be in  Basel a few days, the carnival and the museums and certainly more to it ??
So I booked flight and Hotel (Ibis styles have no idea about the hotels and what's best).
Looking forward to this. 230227 - 230303.

Ted

Thank you John, the hotel is booked in Basel. Hopefully I will reach the right town.

Ted

Edited by Ted99

Looking forward to see you again Ted (I think Lyon was last time we met). 

There are a few Ibis hotels here (Basel) and they are OK. All are a short tram or walking distance into town. 

Basel-Mulhouse is the local airport here (in France) so make sure you take the right exit to CH. 

I will post more details soon, but https://www.carnifest.com/basel-fasnacht-2023/ 

The event starts in Basel on Monday 27th Feb at 04:00.

There is however an event in Liestal on Sunday 26th evening, which is the fire Fasnacht and is worth going to. 

http://www.fasnacht-liestal.ch/

From that event, I recommend finding a bar in Basel and staying awake till 0200 and making our way to Marktplatz or Münsterplatz and waiting for it to start. If you go back to the hotel to sleep till 2am, you wont wake up motivated to go out into the cold. 

As it is mid winter in central Europe, I recommend wearing many layers of warm clothes including thermal leggings under jeans or snow trousers over jeans. Standing around in temperatures of +1C to -8C is not fun. 

It is mostly over by 8am and you can return to hotel for breakfast and a sleep. 

The carnival restarts around 2pm and goes on until 6pm and that is the best time for photography. The parade goes all around town between Wettstein and Middle Bridges. 

We will then take a tram or bus away from the town centre to a restaurant before returning for Schnitzelbängg and touring the bars and taking photos. You will easily get through 2 batteries on a Leica digital per day. 

Tuesday is a music extravaganza in Marktplatz around 6 or 7pm, but there are parades from 2pm to 6pm around town.  

Wednesday afternoon is the childrens parade. 

And it all closes at 4am on Thursday. 

Two ways of getting here are by train from France or Germany into the two Basel train stations, or flying directly into Basel-Mulhouse airport from where you can take the bus into town. Zurich of course is the larger airport servicing more frequent flights across Europe and if you fly Swiss, you can book to ZDH which is the Swiss code for Basel railway station and gives you a free train ticket from Zurich airport to Basel. 

I will be flying back from Scotland on the 25th. I will be with you on Sunday and Monday afternoon, but will be working on Tuesday all day and Wed morning, but will join you for dinners on both evenings and a pub crawl of course. 

P.S. I recommend ear plugs (most piccolo players and members of the cliques use them)

Edited by Sandokan

You can of course drive to Basel. From UK, take Eurostar then follow the Route Anglais to Rheims (I make an overnight stop at a Novotel to break the journey into two 6 hour trips). From Rheims, follow the autoroute towards Metz, but I then cross over to the German autobahn before Strasbourg which is often less congested than the French route. Unless you stay in Lörrach or Weil-am-Rhein (both in Germany) most hotels will charge you for car parking