Basel Meeting Feb 2023

As you see, you will be close to the action so I suggest two cameras, one with an ultra wide and other with wide to standard. I will probably have a 21mm and 40mm mounted with a 75 in my pocket. They hand out sweets, oranges and confetti. It is a time when litter and noise is allowed and they go wild

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, farnz said:

Thanks, Ravi.  Lovely pictures especially the little girls looking upwards. 🙂

Pete.

Sentimental photo - Nina with her friend who she met in SBucks when they were still crawling. Became friends with the parents too. Nina is also the little witch cleaning the confetti up as it upset her swissness to have litter on the floor :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Proposed Agenda - Sunday 26 Feb

For those not having a nap: meet in Münsterplatz and view all the lanterns. Hopefully they will be lit up when its dark. If this is of significant interest, we can delay setting off to Liestal until 1930

Story about the event https://www.carnivaland.net/basel-fasnacht/ 

I hope one of the locals helps me with this translation, as it sounds to me like there will NOT be any firewagons? Will there still be a fire parade? 

@pop @JPH1962 @MRJohn @didier

19:15 Uhr, Chienbäse-Umzug
Leider ohni Füürwäge,
Route: Burgstroos - Stedtli - Tertianum

https://www.liestal.li/event/fasnacht-liestal-2023/ 

http://www.fasnacht-liestal.ch/chienbaese/chienbaese-bilder/

It starts at 19:15 and goes until 21:15. I've been a couple of times many many years ago, and my recollection is if you stand near the front it can get very hot if a fire wagon is near you. After about an hour I had all the shots I was going to get of people with fire buckets on their shoulders and of the wagons. 

I would suggest on the Sunday, everyone has a good afternoon nap and we meet at 19:00 at SBB train station (return tickets will be about CHF8) and there are trains every 15mins and journey takes about 25mins. If people want to meet earlier so we are there before the start, I would suggest to meet at 18:00. 

Return to Basel SBB when we are finished or after 21:00 when even is finished. 

In Basel find a coffee shop or bar or both near the SBB station such as in one of the hotels and sit there until early Monday morning

Monday 27 Feb

Around 02:00 we shall make our way to Marktplatz (where Rathaus is and near St Martins church where it all starts). We will have to stand around for a few hours as it will be packed and if we come too late, wont get a good spot. At 0400 it will start with all lights being turned off so that the lights of the lanterns is more dramatic. 

Around 06:00 go home and sleep. 

Around 14:00 meet in town near Bankverein and watch the afternoon cortege. 

Around 19:00 go to a restaurant by public transport outside of the city center (as all restaurants are already booked and full). 

Tuesday 28 Feb

Meet for afternoon parade and stay for band play off in the Marktplatz

Go for a dinner away from city centre - maybe across the border to Germany

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Grand. Thanks. I gladely join Monday and Tuesday.

There is Fasnacht (carneval) everywhere in the region. I have a photo assignement in Fricktal in Wittnau (Subday evening) where there is something called Fasnachtsfeuer. Like in Liestal a lot of fire.

• Like 3

Will be good to meet you Alex! 

Tuesday 28 

This is also the childrens parade in the afternoon just for the kids and their parents. 

Followed by the guggemusik concert in the evening (brass band music) which is usually high quality and good entertainment. 

The lanterns are on display every evening so we do not have to go on Sunday for that. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 8:52 AM, Sandokan said:

as it sounds to me like there will NOT be any firewagons? Will there still be a fire parade?

There will indeed a parade, but there will be no burning chariots this year.

Be aware that the locals usually arrange it so that any foreigners stand closest to the parade and therefore will be exposed most to the sparks and bits of burning wood coming from the torches. Wear outer clothing that isn't ruined by a few holes burned by the sparks.

Edit: Please note the information about security during the parade: https://chienbaese.ch/sicherheit/

Edited by pop
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From the link that @pop very kindly posted "Il est défendue de prendre des photos dans la rue ou sur le trajet du cortège."  (Taking photos in the street or on the procession route is forbidden.)  Have I translated that correctly or is there another meaning or nuance that I've missed?  It seems to read that we wouldn't be able to photograph very much at all. 🤔

Pete.

This is a translation of the dos and don'ts by DeepL. IMHO, the translation is quite accurate:

Welcome to the Chienbäse parade in the city of Liestal. The Chienbäse and fire carts are not only beautiful to look at, but also harbour dangers. Please note that you attend the event at your own risk. For your safety, we ask you to observe the following rules:

• Keep a sufficient distance to the fire carts and the chienbäseträger/innen.
  • Children are to be kept back at all costs during the procession. It is recommended that children do not attend the procession in the middle of the stedtli, but rather in the lower part towards the "Ausbrennplatz", where the rows of spectators have already thinned out somewhat.
  • Children under 6 years of age may watch the fire from a distance outside the parade route.
  • Children under 12 must be accompanied by a parent.
  • Children do not belong on the shoulders of adults during the Chienbäse procession. The heat is much greater there.
  • The burning of fireworks is strictly forbidden!
  • People with health problems and people with walking difficulties are strongly advised not to stay along the parade route.
  • Stay exclusively on the pavement before and during the procession.
  • Do not cross the street under any circumstances
  • Photographing on the street of the parade route is dangerous (estimation of the distance through a camera lens is not guaranteed) and is therefore to be refrained from.
  • Keep an escape route clear
  • Attention flying sparks: No liability will be accepted for fire damage.

The security staff is entitled to turn you away if these rules are not observed.
In the interest of your safety, the organisers thank you for your understanding.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I have never been to the Chienbäse but I'm told that it's (a) spectacular and (b) not quite safe. Taking photographs may be a challenging experience of its own, I would think. I could imagine (without knowing, of course) that the area where the participants gather and prepare their fires might be more promising.

• Like 3

I'm no real help here, since Swiss-German and the dozens of Germans spoken in Germany can have a similar relationship like British and American English.

My interpretation is that Strasse (street) limits to the driving lane and does not include the pavement/sidewalk. However, in the southwest of Germany, the feet include the legs, while here they don't, and this is still the same country.

For my part, I'll take pictures from the pavement, if the situation allows, but will stay clear of the driving lane. The overarching rule seems to be "don't imperil anyone or yourself".

I found a link (german) of a professional photographer describing her experience while taking pictures. The pictures itself might be telling. Summing up the main points:

• The whole event is not completely risk-free
  • Flames can come pretty close, especially when blown by the wind
  • Wear old, fireproof clothing and waterproof shoes and a cap (sparks are flying while the fire department is using large amounts of water to protect the wooden gates)
  • Finding a good exposure was challenging, 1/320 to 1/640 appear to give the best results to keep the structure of flames
  • Be there in time, there will be quite a crowd

Stefan

• Like 3

"Il est défendue ..." normally traslates as "It is forbidden", which is where my query arose - it would be unusual to ban photography at such a photogenic event.  Perhaps someone used Google to translate into French from Swiss-German and that's where my confusion has come from. 🤔

Pete.

The 'parade' will take place in the part of the road where normally the motorized traffic moves. The spectators stand on the pavement. You are not allowed on the road (i.e. the driving lanes) during the spectacle because the participants of the parade must not and can not stop. You must not stand in the way of the parade, not even in order to take a photograph. You can take photographs, but only while standing on the pavement.

This all applies to the central part of the town. There is an area where the participants meet and prepare their ordeals. At the other end of the route, there is a place where they stop and dispose of their fires. Both ends are less dangerous (even children allowed there) and less crowded. They may look less dramatic for the spectators, but I rather think you get the more private views and perhaps the more intimate pictures from there. Again, I've never been there and I don't actually know that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 46 Minuten schrieb farnz:

"Il est défendue ..." normally traslates as "It is forbidden", which is where my query arose - it would be unusual to ban photography at such a photogenic event.  Perhaps someone used Google to translate into French from Swiss-German and that's where my confusion has come from. 🤔

Pete.

when you look at the original german version it sais something different: Through the lens its difficult to judge where you stand and at what distances. Its dangerous therefore and better not be done. In french this is shortened to: Forbidden totally . . .

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

when you look at the original german version it sais something different: Through the lens its difficult to judge where you stand and at what distances. Its dangerous therefore and better not be done. In french this is shortened to: Forbidden totally . . .

Ah, that explains it.  Thank you. 🙂

Pete.

9 hours ago, pop said:

Wear outer clothing that isn't ruined by a few holes burned by the sparks.

1 hour ago, StS said:

Wear old, fireproof clothing and waterproof shoes and a cap (sparks are flying while the fire department is using large amounts of water to protect the wooden gates)

Well , that's what I was thinking when i looked at the fire-event. I have thankfully added luggage to the flight and will  bring my old tailor-made extreme used jacket with me (2 layers of Ventile cotton from Switzerland), as well the 7,5 € new Helly-Hansen jacket from a charity shop . The boot question is a little frustrating since my arctic boots is heavy. Maybe not so adapted for civilised environment.

Ted

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I guess a waxed jacket would not be a good idea :D 

Even in the Basel parade - do not cross the road directly in front or within a cortege. However, with the gaps between the groups you can cross the road. 

As for footwear, all depends upon the temperature that night. Good and comfortable walking boots are recommended as you will be on your feet most of the night. In Basel, there will be lots of rubbish on the floor (not dog poo though, thankfully) and if it rains, the confetti will get compressed onto the soles of your shoes - and remain there for many weeks. 

It is also a good idea to disrobe outside the house/hotel so that all the confetti caught in your coat, jumper etc. is deposited outside and not in your house/hotel. See photo earlier. 

I also forgot to say, you do need a "blaguette" "plakette" - a Faschnachts 2023 badge, they come in Bronze (CHF10), Silver (CHF20) and Gold (CHF50) - I think the prices are right. Without these, you will be targeted for extra abuse and confetti and turnips or potatoes (instead of beer, sweets, oranges) being thrown at you. You should be able to buy these when here, but if anyone asks now, I can get now (the money supports the individual groups who are selling them, in this case Müggedaschi Clique (Esther's clique)) you a plakette. Let me know which one you want.