Leica M11-P: New Flagship With Content Authentication

LUF Admin

All of the new features are great and all, but the most important question is did they fix the freeze bugs, misaligned RF’s out of the box, etc? It’s a fair question and one that can bring new M owners into the fold, or continue to keep them away from purchasing one. 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

At the very moment that you take off the lens then the sensor will immediately be covered. In the previous release the sensor was fully exposed to dust or whatever.

When a lens isn't attached, or if the camera perceives it as such, the shutter remains closed. This renders some lens adapters ineffective, especially those that don't completely cover the coding sensors or other related equipment. I own an adapter for an LTM lens which is now obsolete after the recent update. Before this change, I would receive a "no lens mount" error, but was still able to shoot. Now, that's no longer an option. 😒

• Like 1

vor 47 Minuten schrieb tedwill:

I'm sure that very clever software developers working for Leica will be able to implement this with other cameras.

No, each individual chip is given a special, unique code by the German Federal Printing Office (they also make the German ID cards) that is assigned only to that chip.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, tedwill said:

I'm sure that very clever software developers working for Leica will be able to implement this with other cameras. I lead a very talented team of software engineers in the healthcare industry and this is not a hardware limitation. I'm sure this can be done.  

My guess is that the new chip probably provides extra processing power to operate on captured images on the fly. A software solution may be possible, but would be much slower

Still waiting for CLOSED-OPEN-CLOSED shutter cycle mode for reduced shutter lag.

You'd lose on the fly metering, but they can put AE-L on the function button.... One press and it briefly opens the shutter, takes a reading and stores it until you double press the function button again to clear the memory.

Come on Leica. It's just a firmware tweak

But I do like the new top plate... I wonder if that is available as an upgrade?

Edited by thrid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

vor 46 Minuten schrieb PhilipThomas:

Was there an update to how the shutter sounds, like a dampened version similar to the M10-P?

It‘s already as dampened as it can be. See #2 in the attached thread. I can confirm that statement because I shot the M10M and the M11M side by side. 

• Like 4

Gerade eben schrieb jdlaing:

You can still have a metal case and a gps. SL proved that. It works great.

Is the part with the GPS not in plastic? 

I remember the Canon 5D Mk IV that had a plastic cover over the GPS element. But I might be wrong.

Proof the photograph is yours is already a well understood part of commercial rights for photographers, so this software proof with Content Authentication that it's made with a Leica is all very pompous and showing off isn't it? Who the hell cares?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Oh, did you hear; there is a new M11, it's just like the old M11, but only a few hundred dollars more...

But seriously, there may be a new anti-theft angle on this CAI feature. Theoretically, if a camera prints its unique signature on every image and the camera is stolen, we should be able to track the camera to a new user if the new user publishes any photos taken with that camera. I see privacy issues but is Leica willing to snitch out thieves? Big brother could be watching for stolen M11-Ps. Are time stamps on each photo available as well? Unalterable GPS info on each photo would be helpful here also. Like I said, big privacy issues.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, ivohula said:

Oh, did you hear; there is a new M11, it's just like the old M11, but only a few hundred dollars more...

But seriously, there may be a new anti-theft angle on this CAI feature. Theoretically, if a camera prints its unique signature on every image and the camera is stolen, we should be able to track the camera to a new user if the new user publishes any photos taken with that camera. I see privacy issues but is Leica willing to snitch out thieves? Big brother could be watching for stolen M11-Ps. Are time stamps on each photo available as well? Unalterable GPS info on each photo would be helpful here also. Like I said, big privacy issues.

"...there may be a new anti-theft angle on this CAI feature" 

It does  seem to me as well there may be some "theft recovery" assistance capabilities as you wrote.  *For those concerned for Big Brother, if I read correctly we can turn this feature on or off ? 

• Like 1

I guess Leica has identified a potential need for Content Authentication, although personally I have not had a need for it. Proving that an image was not generated or modified by AI?

Canon apparently identified a potential need almost 20 years ago and offered something with similar functionality as an addon for certain 1D models:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3146736527/canondvke2

The M11-P implementation is of course more sophisticated.

Edited by mujk
  • Like 1