new Content Authentication function for Leica Q3 ?

-MR-

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

Is it possible to integrate the Content Authentication function from the Leica M11-P into the Leica Q3?

Would this be possible via firmware update?

Or is there a physical limition (for example a missing special Chip or special sensor) which prevents he Q3 from receiving this function?

Thank you!

Edited by -MR-

• -MR- changed the title to new Content Authentication function for Leica Q3 !
50 minutes ago, -MR- said:

Hi!

Is it possible to integrate the Content Authentication function from the Leica M11-P into the Leica Q3?

Would this be possible via firmware update?

Or is there a physical limition (for example a missing special Chip or special sensor) which prevents he Q3 from receiving this function?

Thank you!

I think you have to have a camera with a special chip inside. So far only the M-11 has that.

• Like 3

• jaapv changed the title to new Content Authentication function for Leica Q3 ?

The content authentication is designed more so to keep photo journos honest and their editors. Even if you Q3 has it as an update, what purpose does it serve you? Really, if you are worried about copyright infringement then its too late. People can and will reproduce yours and my photos if they choose to and you really cant't do anything about especially if you have no proof your work has been used. Your photos could be in a travel brochure in some country overseas and you would never know. Dodgy media journos are a different kind of animal. They are known for submitting highly edited photos to show a scene or subject in a different way that does not support the original scene or subject but now supports a new narrative.

Content Authentication is pointless unless you work in the news/ documentary sectors and even then photographers wont accept the concept anyways. What, journos globally have to buy a new camera to be taken legitimately? 

Pointless upgrade to an already perfect camera.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AussieQ said:

The content authentication is designed more so to keep photo journos honest and their editors. Even if you Q3 has it as an update, what purpose does it serve you? Really, if you are worried about copyright infringement then its too late. People can and will reproduce yours and my photos if they choose to and you really cant't do anything about especially if you have no proof your work has been used. Your photos could be in a travel brochure in some country overseas and you would never know. Dodgy media journos are a different kind of animal. They are known for submitting highly edited photos to show a scene or subject in a different way that does not support the original scene or subject but now supports a new narrative.

Content Authentication is pointless unless you work in the news/ documentary sectors and even then photographers wont accept the concept anyways. What, journos globally have to buy a new camera to be taken legitimately? 

Pointless upgrade to an already perfect camera.

Google ‘photojournalists who use Leica Q’.

More than a few.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/4/2023 at 6:06 PM, -MR- said:

Leica are implementing this in hardware, so presumably it won't be added in firmware unless there are cameras that already have the right chip.

Quite a few companies are now on board with the Content Authenticity Initiative including Adobe, Nikon, Sony, Microsoft, chip makers Intel and Arm, and even the BBC and Twitter (though it's just the sort of thing you can imagine Musk dropping for some stupid reason). Canon and Reuters have been playing with their own thing, though it would make sense for them to join the CAI gang, because something like this is only going to take off if it's supported by every imaging company that matters (you'd want to get Apple and Meta and Google and Samsung and the smaller camera and phone companies involved, for a start).

On 11/10/2023 at 6:30 AM, Mikael_L said:

Or if they will pull out a Q3-P with this chip together with some internal memory storage🥴😉

Why would they bother? They can’t make enough Q3s to meet demand as it is. Common business sense says it’s a non starter.

On 11/11/2023 at 3:03 PM, Le Chef said:

Why would they bother? They can’t make enough Q3s to meet demand as it is. Common business sense says it’s a non starter.

That would only happen after two years time or so into the Q3 time cycle. Still I don't think Leica will make any P-models for the Q-line (the original Q-P will be the only one made), so therefore I believe this Content Authenticity Initiative will be implemented in the Q4 when it arrives, not before that, neither in any other upcoming special edition prior to the Q4.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mikael_L said:

That would only happen after two years time or so into the Q3 time cycle. Still I don't think Leica will make any P-models for the Q-line (the original Q-P will be the only one made), so therefore I believe this Content Authenticity Initiative will be implemented in the Q4 when it arrives, not before that, neither in any other upcoming special edition prior to the Q4.

I already said that earlier in this thread...

• 2 months later...

Imagine how incredible the authentication feature would be for social media..  Or dating apps, etc.    The Samsung S24ultra now shows when ai was used on its images, which can then of course be cropped out, but NOT generated to be added, and of course you can't add the it to the metadata.    

But really, hear me out.   Imagine a world where social media now gamifies authenticity and REAL moments.  A world where it is now gamified to NOT use filters, and NOT over-edit images in photoshop, and to enjoy the reality that we live in.  

As your, "everyday photographer" I am really excited about this potential.