Printing from Leica Monochrom?

JoshuaRothman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My needs differ; low volume non-professional use, single print page output, without need for roll adapter. My P800 is trouble free after 7 years, but since I will soon be replacing my computer and screen (after 14 years), I think I’ll also move to the P900. As I’ve mentioned on numerous occasions, ImagePrint takes away a lot of the fuss, e.g., no concerns with printer settings, platen gap issues, profiles, etc.  Also, my home office has fine air quality, without need for any special attention to humidity, etc.  If my machine is idle for a few weeks, I just run a simple nozzle check or test print.  My darkroom chores are a distant memory - and not missed - although there’s no substitute for a well executed silver print.

Jeff

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Stuart Richardson:

I run a printing studio and would definitely suggest not getting a printer unless you plan on using it regularly.

I totally disagree. 

Printing is very easy compared to working in the darkroom. If you enjoy good prints and nice feel of the papers, you should definitely buy a printer. It's not witchcraft to print and if you have a printer, you print much more than you send photos to a service provider. You shouldn't be afraid of the ink drying up, even if you don't print that much. If the room is reasonably well climatized and you always (!) leave the printer on standby, it happens very rarely. And in this case, the printer helps itself by cleaning the nozzles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, elmars said:

If the room is reasonably well climatized and you always (!) leave the printer on standby, it happens very rarely. And in this case, the printer helps itself by cleaning the nozzles.

Haven’t left printer (Epson) in standby mode in 14 years, and have never had a significant clogging issue, even with several weeks sitting idle.  For more prolonged periods, I run a test print; and of course always run a nozzle check before any important print session. 

Jeff

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I agreed it's maddening watching and listening to the printer consume ink on cleaning cycles. But I've had good luck with the Canon leaving it in standby as well. 

Those cleaning cycles are the price I pay for not printing every day. 

The payoff is in the amazing prints I get at the drop of a hat (and a few maddening cleaning cycles while the printer wakes up from its nap, hacking and coughing like an old man clearing his throat (like me...)).

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 11:09 AM, JoshuaRothman said:

...if you have any other tips for printing from a Leica Monochrom camera, I'd love to hear them...

One aspect which I don't think has been mentioned yet is the choice of paper to be used.

Using high quality stock makes a HUGE difference in terms if final print IQ. This point cannot be stressed enough. For day-to-day 'reference' prints pretty much any half-decent paper will suffice but for 'real' prints selecting stock from such companies as Canson and Hanhemuhle would be highly recommended. Doing a side-by-side comparison of prints made from the same file when printed on, say, Kodak Ultra Premium (which, in truth, isn't at all bad!) as against Canson Baryta Photographique II (for example) should be enough to convince anyone of the value of printing on decent paper when print quality matters.

Philip.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, pippy said:

Canson Baryta Photographique II

Couldn't agree more, and this Canson paper is superb.  Paper contrasts vary, as do their treatment of blacks (I find the Canson paper Pippy mentions as one of best for deep/solid blacks) , so worth getting to know a couple of ''fine art'' papers well.

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, elmars said:

I printed my Naples M11-M photos on Hahnemühle paper and made a book from that. The tonality and sharpness is unreachable on any other media imO. Not to mention the feel of the fine art papers.

I couldn't agree more. 308 gsm Hahnemuhle Photo Rag paper is one of my 'go-to' choices when printing certain photographs. One close friend - who happens to be a Fine Artist - on seeing & handling one such unmounted print asked whether it was an Etching; an Engraving or a Lithograph. He was amazed to discover that (a) it was a photograph and (b) it was a 'home-produced' inkjet print.

Wonderful paper with a beautiful tactile quality!

Philip.

• Like 2

I make my books in the Lightroom print module and sometimes have a sample copy printed by Blurb, which I then usually give away. Blurb is quite good, but the quality is not nearly comparable to inkjet printing on fine art paper in terms of tonal gradation and resolution, especially not in black and white, which usually has a tint in Blurb, even if only very slight.

If you have created a book in Lightroom, you can output the book pages as a JPG and then print the book pages as images. A bookbinder then binds the whole thing with a cover of your choice.

However, there are only a few papers that are suitable for book printing. They must not be too heavy (max. approx. 220 g), must of course be printable on both sides and - very importantly - have a defined and correct grain direction (short grain or long grain - please google for details). Otherwise the pages will be difficult to turn and, above all, the binding will not hold. Suitable papers are available from Hahnemühle (Photo Rag Book and Album) and Innova (Smooth Cotton High White IFA 05).

I usually make square books (approx. 30 x 30 cm), sometimes landscape formats (approx. 30 x 40 cm). I like square because you can display portrait and landscape pictures equally well. With a square book, Lightroom naturally outputs the JPG in a square image format. I then print in landscape format in the center of the paper and the bookbinder then has to print a square on the left and right. But that's no problem.

25 sheets of A3 paper cost around €100. My bookbinder charges between approx. 70 € for binding. I can choose the material and color of the binding according to the content of the book. As I don't print double pages, thread binding is not possible, it is rather glued, which is quite robust. If something does break, you can easily have it repaired.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Am 9.11.2023 um 22:18 schrieb elmars:

It is not possible in two sentences. Can You send me a reminder via PM on Saturday? Then I write something. Or You send me Your phone number and we have a call.

Hi Elmar,

that’s awesome … I remember that you ha e said earlier already that you are printing photo books yourself. 
I would be interested in doing that myself, but I am a bit scared about a  “learning curve” might be long, costly and frustrating…

Thanks for your insights!

cheers

Tim

Edited by tim
Just now have realized that I didn’t real the thread to the end … sorry about that

vor 42 Minuten schrieb tim:

Hi Elmar,

that’s awesome … I remember that you ha e said earlier already that you are printing photo books yourself. 
I would be interested in doing that myself, but I am a bit scared about a  “learning curve” might be long, costly and frustrating…

Thanks for your insights!

cheers

Tim

It's not that difficult, Tim. Send me a PM if you want to talk about it on the phone.

• Thanks 1

Am 11.11.2023 um 06:52 schrieb elmars:

I make my books in the Lightroom print module and sometimes have a sample copy printed by Blurb, which I then usually give away. Blurb is quite good, but the quality is not nearly comparable to inkjet printing on fine art paper in terms of tonal gradation and resolution, especially not in black and white, which usually has a tint in Blurb, even if only very slight.

If you have created a book in Lightroom, you can output the book pages as a JPG and then print the book pages as images. A bookbinder then binds the whole thing with a cover of your choice.

However, there are only a few papers that are suitable for book printing. They must not be too heavy (max. approx. 220 g), must of course be printable on both sides and - very importantly - have a defined and correct grain direction (short grain or long grain - please google for details). Otherwise the pages will be difficult to turn and, above all, the binding will not hold. Suitable papers are available from Hahnemühle (Photo Rag Book and Album) and Innova (Smooth Cotton High White IFA 05).

I usually make square books (approx. 30 x 30 cm), sometimes landscape formats (approx. 30 x 40 cm). I like square because you can display portrait and landscape pictures equally well. With a square book, Lightroom naturally outputs the JPG in a square image format. I then print in landscape format in the center of the paper and the bookbinder then has to print a square on the left and right. But that's no problem.

25 sheets of A3 paper cost around €100. My bookbinder charges between approx. 70 € for binding. I can choose the material and color of the binding according to the content of the book. As I don't print double pages, thread binding is not possible, it is rather glued, which is quite robust. If something does break, you can easily have it repaired.

Thank you very much. I am sorry not to have reacted earlier. But sometimes I have to "work" too 😁. I am back only today. But great report anyway. I appreciate your experience and its great that you share it here.

• Like 2