MP black paint, silver, or M6 2022

On 7/5/2023 at 10:48 PM, Huss said:

If you just want to scratch that film itch, ditch the mouldy F60 before it spreads the pestilence elsewhere, and get an F80/N80.

Wouldn’t a new M6 be a better choice for that scratched film itch? :)

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, rtai said:

The MP has also been reported to do that, so if that is your preference, either will do!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rtai said:

17 minutes ago, Huss said:

The MP has also been reported to do that, so if that is your preference, either will do!

All the film M's have reportedly demonstrated the film scratching issue. No way to be certain the copy I will get will not have the issue.

But I heard the issue with M6 is more profound, I might be wrong but Leica acknowledged that sometime last November and vowed to have fixed it. I can get a 2023-02 made M6 if I want and presume it would be fine? I am not buying M6 anyway because the more I look at it, the less I like the intruding and gigantic letters in the front.

Besides M-P and M-A have been in production for so long and I hope the probability of scratching is less.

When I bought my M10M I regrettably sold my film Leicas including a beloved .58x black paint MP because I wasn’t using them. Anyway I recently bought a like new latest production MP and now shoot two rolls a month. Not a whole lot but I guess to scratch that itch. My MP doesn’t scratch film thank goodness. I initially thought about getting an F5 because a nice one can be had for less than $400. I decided on the MP despite the price tag because as a very long time M user I already own the lenses. Going into Nikon or any system would start a buying spree and endless online which lenses should I get searches. I know myself too well! 

1 hour ago, rtai said:

When I bought my M10M I regrettably sold my film Leicas including a beloved .58x black paint MP because I wasn’t using them. Anyway I recently bought a like new latest production MP and now shoot two rolls a month. Not a whole lot but I guess to scratch that itch. My MP doesn’t scratch film thank goodness. I initially thought about getting an F5 because a nice one can be had for less than $400. I decided on the MP despite the price tag because as a very long time M user I already own the lenses. Going into Nikon or any system would start a buying spree and endless online which lenses should I get searches. I know myself too well! 

That’s exactly what my thought process is now.

I just threw the moulded F60 to the garbage bin and also looked around for a FM2n and located a quite nice one for less than $300.  But I’m afraid I would end up getting a M film at the end even if I buy the FM2n now. I also know myself too well. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Warton said:

That’s exactly what my thought process is now.

I just threw the moulded F60 to the garbage bin and also looked around for a FM2n and located a quite nice one for less than $300.  But I’m afraid I would end up getting a M film at the end even if I buy the FM2n now. I also know myself too well. 

Buy a MP/MA before the price goes up again. 

The only time I think harder is with the digital Ms. For film, they hold plenty of value (the user grade 20 year old MP in silver chrome I bought in Ex / good user grade with no box, or papers still cost about 70% of the new price, and I didn't hesitate to buy a brand new MP in black paint in 2021 for a small discount off list), and essentially don't change that much. The lifetime of the film M you choose is your lifetime. So, I really wouldn't think about these - relatively - small price differences. Inspect the cameras, and think about the aesthetic that appeals to you most (and whether you would find an in-board light meter useful). If you choose the finish most appealing to you maybe it helps you pick up the camera a little more often.

black paint (MP) - will brass. Does that appeal to you? (Or at least not bother you?)

silver chrome (MP, M-A) is perennially handsome, and the finish is really durable. (Black lenses look fine on it too).

black chrome (M-A) is subtle, fairly durable, but will show bright marks and a sort of greying patina over time. It's less romantic but it has its own utilitarian appeal I think. (New M6 I don't know - we don't quite know yet).

But essentially that is what you are choosing. Aside from some somewhat meaningful practical considerations (rewind crank, non-flaring viewfinder, meter or none) you are choosing cosmetics. (That said, I prefer the aesthetics of the silver M-A to the silver MP - metal ISO dial and no front battery cap - but decided I wanted the meter). 

One way to think about this is to go look at some pretty beat up old Leicas in different finishes. Which appeals? Then buy that finish new (or 'pre-worn').

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Winedemonium said:

The only time I think harder is with the digital Ms. For film, they hold plenty of value (the user grade 20 year old MP in silver chrome I bought in Ex / good user grade with no box, or papers still cost about 70% of the new price, and I didn't hesitate to buy a brand new MP in black paint in 2021 for a small discount off list), and essentially don't change that much. The lifetime of the film M you choose is your lifetime. So, I really wouldn't think about these - relatively - small price differences. Inspect the cameras, and think about the aesthetic that appeals to you most (and whether you would find an in-board light meter useful). If you choose the finish most appealing to you maybe it helps you pick up the camera a little more often.

black paint (MP) - will brass. Does that appeal to you? (Or at least not bother you?)

silver chrome (MP, M-A) is perennially handsome, and the finish is really durable. (Black lenses look fine on it too).

black chrome (M-A) is subtle, fairly durable, but will show bright marks and a sort of greying patina over time. It's less romantic but it has its own utilitarian appeal I think. (New M6 I don't know - we don't quite know yet).

But essentially that is what you are choosing. Aside from some somewhat meaningful practical considerations (rewind crank, non-flaring viewfinder, meter or none) you are choosing cosmetics. (That said, I prefer the aesthetics of the silver M-A to the silver MP - metal ISO dial and no front battery cap - but decided I wanted the meter). 

One way to think about this is to go look at some pretty beat up old Leicas in different finishes. Which appeals? Then buy that finish new (or 'pre-worn').

Very good and articulated suggestions!

MP Black Paint is out of the question now. I have a M10-R BP, I am not particularly into the brassing and/or aesthetic looking of the BP. The only reason I got it is that it's a M10-R and fairly cheap (2nd hand with no more than 1500 shots, for about US$ 7000). So I don't need another BP in my collection.

I am 99% settled on MP silver for now mainly because it's about US$ 700 cheaper than MP Black Paint for what I can get.

MA silver is another consideration too, again it's US$ 400 cheaper than MP Silver. 

Does the MA silver and MP silver have exactly same painting feeling?

On 7/8/2023 at 12:22 AM, Leica Filmmatic said:

I bought a lightly used BP MP about 6 weeks ago, love everything about it!

yeah, now dealer came back with a slight discount on Black paint, for USD 5100 brand new, v.s. USD 4500 silver.

Besides, silver is out of stock, I have to wait for 3+ plus weeks. BP is in stock and free shipping. 

very attempting now.

6 minutes ago, Warton said:

jokes aside, gents. I am narrowing down to the two options (with tariff and shipping):

MP black paint, USD 5200

MA Silver, USD 4200

going to decide tonight. $1000 difference is it really worth it, that's the question.

You could buy a really nice hand held meter and a lot of film with a thousand dollars.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, madNbad said:

You could buy a really nice hand held meter and a lot of film with a thousand dollars.

I have a sekonic L-508 I bought decades ago, costing maybe $200 (not sure). And yesterday I checked it's still working perfectly. This kind of thing can last generations.

sounds like MA it is then.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Warton said:

I have a sekonic L-508 I bought decades ago, costing maybe $200 (not sure). And yesterday I checked it's still working perfectly. This kind of thing can last generations.

sounds like MA it is then.

Let me know when you get the M-A, so I can then list all the reasons you should have bought the MP.  Being the owner of both.