I ordered the m10-r black paint

JimmyCheng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

58 minutes ago, Steven said:

All black paint items have gained around 20% since this auction earlier this month. The 50 E46 was priced in average at 5600 and it just went to 7K now. 

There is black paint madness on the market. 

Thankfully, i managed to purchase my black paint dream a couple days before the auction. It’s being delivered this Monday. Can’t wait to see it in real life. 

I’d be pretty sure they have not gained value because someone took sandpaper to them.

I saw Brian Brake’s M3 a few years ago.  He’d taken it to China during the early 1960s - it was magnificent, not because it was battered, but because it reflected Brian’s travels.

Then again, there used to be a market for the manufacture of “genuine antiques” - new furniture, beaten up to look old.

The Black paint cameras a lovely things - cherish them.  If you search back to 2010, you’ll find a forum member who took to his new black paint M9 with sandpaper.  It looks truly dreadful.

• Like 5

Don't understand these pictures of cameras with 'fake' rubbing!

Genuine rub marks of a camera will normally appear in the places most touched by fingers and palms holding and working the camera. Typically some parts of the top and bottom edges, sides, shutter, wheel and possibly on frame lever and around the lens and body as fingers and palm may rub on the body.

Just look at old M that sometimes come for auction.

My best suggestion is to use the camera well. Rub markings will appear over time and in a manner consistent with use.

'Faking' on the other hand comes across like a pair of Levis worn at the butt, but in pristine condition around the knees or ankles.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I love ‘ brassed out’ M cameras and it’s the reason why I preordered this new BP M10R. For the artificial aging of them, we should perhaps use the term ‘relic’ or ‘relicing’ as it’s very much a popular thing in the guitar world where artificially aged versions go for serious $$$. The Fender Custom Shop itself offers very levels of ‘relicing’ of their custom Strats and Teles http://www.fendercustomshop.com/guitars/stratocaster/

Edited by RMF

8 hours ago, Steven said:

Is this real ? You did that yourself? Cause it looks amazing. What’s 700 grit ? Picture of the sponge? 

Yes, 100%. But I think like someone said above, I over did it lol. I was just trying it out on this repainted m3 (not original black paint of course) and it was my first time doing this.

6 hours ago, ianman said:

Seriously? I think it looks awful. If you are going to do this sort of thing -  which personally I find quite weird but ok we each have our own boats to float - at least think about why brassing occurs... and then think about where on the camera it would happen. At least try to make it believable and realistic. All around the front windows looks plain silly and so obviously fake.

700 grit is the indication of finesse of the abrasive. The higher the number, the finer the abrasive. I would have thought that 700 is nowhere near enough to start off with. If you do try it, I would suggest doing the baseplate first, just to see how it goes.

ouch. tbh, in hindsite, you are right. But back then I was deliberately trying to brassing out all the outlines of the camera rather than making it look like it's natural wear and tear. 

Edited by JimmyCheng

So i had an M240 which I used as my only camera for about 5 years. Over that five years to freshen things up and make it more "mine" I removed the paint in the lettering (M and at the back) and changed the red dot to black. I got quite uneven wear across the body but most of it was on the right side - once the paint started coming off it became quite easy to "flake". And over the course of those 5 years whenever I went out with the camera  i did rub the exposed brass parts with my hands to try to even out the brassing (low-res pic, but you can see the paint "chipping" in the front-facing pic, rather than it being smooth). Not sure what i'd have done if i heard about sandpapering when I had the camera. I guess truth be told given I didn't think i'd sell the camera I wouldn't have shied away from meddling with its aesthetics more than just removing paint and replacing the red dot, so I'd probably have tried sanding more bits down..

Anyway now that i've sold that camera and it's been a while since I revisited pics of it, I do think the right side looks a bit too worn for my 2021 liking. And come to think of it while the camera had some pleasant compliments over the years, I did bump into more than a couple Leica "aficionados" commenting snarkily that the camera looked too worn and looks like it'd never been dropped, the top plate isn't dented, I never went to war with it, etc. etc.

I wouldn't sand that M10R BP @Steven. It won't "wear" evenly like sanded copies but at least you know the marks came with use and time. I mean if you like the lenny kravtiz/worn look that's great, tbh the cameras look nice too and you're the one who's using and looking at it all the time so your opinion really matters, though just know there will be people out there thinking you're doing it for street cred or think the look is garish, which is fine if you can block out. But if an ounce of it is true and you regret...it's a lot easier to sand down than it is to get it back to its original condition..

Also i wouldn't sand it down thinking about its value. I'd sand it down cause i want to get that look. I personally would rather buy a mint BP camera/lens so I can make my marks on it, than one already marked. If it's marked i'd hope it'd be priced accordingly (downwards). Except if it was owned by some famous photographer, though I'm not a collector so the last part is moot. @rramesh already listed those permutations. I had to price my M240 for sale a fair bit lower than market value for it to sell because I've never taken a picture worth remembering.

You could brass it up/sand it down, sign your name on the bottom plate and maybe auction it on your IG though. I'm sure there's one follower of the hundreds of thousands who'd pay (more?). At least you have that option!

(Added a pic with the 28lux in silver cause it's one of the few pics I have showing uneven top-plate wear esp at the right...since sold that lens, another one of my regrets in life)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by chasdfg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, cheeseyk said:

have read on another site, that the top plate of the M10-R BP may not be brass and therefore may not give the patina that Steven may require.

Anyone have further info ?

Leica's official LFI newsletter.

6 hours ago, RMF said:

...It’s very much a popular thing in the guitar world where artificially aged versions go for serious $$$. The Fender Custom Shop itself offers very levels of ‘relicing’ of their custom Strats and Teles...

...which also (IMO) look utterly ridiculous. WAAAYYY over the top.

Fender's CS has made some seriously good relic'd guitars - their 'Blackie' and 'Black Strat' editions were superb - but the Road Worn Series are (IMO) a joke.

Philip.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Steven said:

All black paint items have gained around 20% since this auction earlier this month. The 50 E46 was priced in average at 5600 and it just went to 7K now. 

There is black paint madness on the market. 

Thankfully, i managed to purchase my black paint dream a couple days before the auction. It’s being delivered this Monday. Can’t wait to see it in real life. 

now it’s time to discontinue the MP and prices will skyrocket 

On 6/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, ianman said:

Seriously? I think it looks awful. If you are going to do this sort of thing -  which personally I find quite weird but ok we each have our own boats to float - at least think about why brassing occurs... and then think about where on the camera it would happen. At least try to make it believable and realistic. All around the front windows looks plain silly and so obviously fake.

700 grit is the indication of finesse of the abrasive. The higher the number, the finer the abrasive. I would have thought that 700 is nowhere near enough to start off with. If you do try it, I would suggest doing the baseplate first, just to see how it goes.

Thanks for the explanation about the finesse of the abrasive. 

I don't think it looks awful. 

21 hours ago, rramesh said:

Don't understand these pictures of cameras with 'fake' rubbing!

Genuine rub marks of a camera will normally appear in the places most touched by fingers and palms holding and working the camera. Typically some parts of the top and bottom edges, sides, shutter, wheel and possibly on frame lever and around the lens and body as fingers and palm may rub on the body.

Just look at old M that sometimes come for auction.

My best suggestion is to use the camera well. Rub markings will appear over time and in a manner consistent with use.

'Faking' on the other hand comes across like a pair of Levis worn at the butt, but in pristine condition around the knees or ankles.

It's what I'm doing with my MP BP. This camera is staying for ever. So it'll take the time it needs to brass. 

My M10R MP will be lucky if it makes it a year. So I want it to brass faster. Not for value. Who cares about that. For my own satisfaction. I'm the only one that matters. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chasdfg said:

So i had an M240 which I used as my only camera for about 5 years. Over that five years to freshen things up and make it more "mine" I removed the paint in the lettering (M and at the back) and changed the red dot to black. I got quite uneven wear across the body but most of it was on the right side - once the paint started coming off it became quite easy to "flake". And over the course of those 5 years whenever I went out with the camera  i did rub the exposed brass parts with my hands to try to even out the brassing (low-res pic, but you can see the paint "chipping" in the front-facing pic, rather than it being smooth). Not sure what i'd have done if i heard about sandpapering when I had the camera. I guess truth be told given I didn't think i'd sell the camera I wouldn't have shied away from meddling with its aesthetics more than just removing paint and replacing the red dot, so I'd probably have tried sanding more bits down..

Anyway now that i've sold that camera and it's been a while since I revisited pics of it, I do think the right side looks a bit too worn for my 2021 liking. And come to think of it while the camera had some pleasant compliments over the years, I did bump into more than a couple Leica "aficionados" commenting snarkily that the camera looked too worn and looks like it'd never been dropped, the top plate isn't dented, I never went to war with it, etc. etc.

I wouldn't sand that M10R BP @Steven. It won't "wear" evenly like sanded copies but at least you know the marks came with use and time. I mean if you like the lenny kravtiz/worn look that's great, tbh the cameras look nice too and you're the one who's using and looking at it all the time so your opinion really matters, though just know there will be people out there thinking you're doing it for street cred or think the look is garish, which is fine if you can block out. But if an ounce of it is true and you regret...it's a lot easier to sand down than it is to get it back to its original condition..

Also i wouldn't sand it down thinking about its value. I'd sand it down cause i want to get that look. I personally would rather buy a mint BP camera/lens so I can make my marks on it, than one already marked. If it's marked i'd hope it'd be priced accordingly (downwards). Except if it was owned by some famous photographer, though I'm not a collector so the last part is moot. @rramesh already listed those permutations. I had to price my M240 for sale a fair bit lower than market value for it to sell because I've never taken a picture worth remembering.

You could brass it up/sand it down, sign your name on the bottom plate and maybe auction it on your IG though. I'm sure there's one follower of the hundreds of thousands who'd pay (more?). At least you have that option!

(Added a pic with the 28lux in silver cause it's one of the few pics I have showing uneven top-plate wear esp at the right...since sold that lens, another one of my regrets in life)

I would never do it for value. I want to do it because I like it. What I like more than patina though is that Silver 28 Lux. Sell it to me ? 

• Like 1

My biggest takeout from this thread is that the MP looks discernibly smaller than the M10R. And better with the lens mount offset more from centre (or perhaps I am imagining that)?

Enough that I would be happy if that were Leica’s priority for the M11 - make it smaller?

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb LeicaS2:

I am sanding down my new jeans to make them look worn, but was disappointed that there was no brass under the blue.

You gave up too quickly. Keep going until you reach the skin, brass will be the reward 🤕

Edited by anickpick