M10R black paint specification change

toru

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello. I have a question for the enthusiasts. Please tell me what you know about the specification changes for the Leica M10R black paint. I feel that there is a difference in the material of the hot shoe and the gloss of the paint.

Even though it's the same BP, it looks like the material of the hot shoe and the quality of the paint are different.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Interesting observation. That's quite a difference. Have you tried asking Leica about these variations? 

The hot shoe on my M10-R bp looks darker than the ones on both of your cameras:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/322105-i-ordered-the-m10-r-black-paint/?do=findComment&comment=4903091

But this could be due to different light.

Edited by Studienkamera

4分前、アル・ブラウンは言った。

画像の照明は、客観的な議論にも適していません。コントレジュールが反映されるのではなく、均質なスタジオ照明であるべきです。

When I have some free time, I'll take a photo.

8 hours ago, toru said:

Hello. I have a question for the enthusiasts. Please tell me what you know about the specification changes for the Leica M10R black paint. I feel that there is a difference in the material of the hot shoe and the gloss of the paint.

I would expect that the hot shoe is made of a high tensile steel for mechanical strength as it’s a structural mount point for speed lights, EVFs and thumb-mounts, whereas the black painted top is brass (relatively soft compared to steel).

I think the difference in black paint finish is in the process of painting not the paint itself.

In the car-guy-world we would call that "orange peel."  Not desirable ☹️

Edited by KFo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, toru said:

I asked Leica and they said it might be due to aging but they don't know the reason.

Depends on how important this is to you.  I'd call 100% BS on that response if it was important to me.  I.E.: Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

KFo is correct. The slight texture is called "Orange Peel." It is normal in automotive finishes, which are similar quality to finishes used on cameras. Every OEM manufacturer from Ford to Mercedes has some orange peel right from the factory. He is also correct in his question; "How important is this to you?" In the age when a black paint Leica becomes more desirable as it brasses, I wouldn't have an issue. with the orange peel. But, it's your camera, your money, and your preference that count. I can't speak to the hot shoe. Paint I know, hot shoe metal properties are not my expertise.