About to buy my first M. (M10,M10R or M11)

RMeier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The crop is one thing, the telephoto effect is another.
Normally you don't have 60 Mp to then work with lower quality.
I would be interested to know whether at some point, like Sony went from 40 to 60 Mp, there will also be some owners of the M11 who will honestly say "I didn't need 60 Mp". This effect only occurred with Sony users, from the RIII to the R IV, after 1 - 1.5 years.

Even though I went this route myself, from R III to R IV, I said afterwards that the 60 Mp is not necessary for me, which is one of the reasons why I part with my Sony equipment. Especially now that I can happily take pictures again with an M 10 R.

vor 33 Minuten schrieb M Street Photographer:

The crop is one thing, the telephoto effect is another.
Normally you don't have 60 Mp to then work with lower quality.
I would be interested to know whether at some point, like Sony went from 40 to 60 Mp, there will also be some owners of the M11 who will honestly say "I didn't need 60 Mp". This effect only occurred with Sony users, from the RIII to the R IV, after 1 - 1.5 years.

Even though I went this route myself, from R III to R IV, I said afterwards that the 60 Mp is not necessary for me, which is one of the reasons why I part with my Sony equipment. Especially now that I can happily take pictures again with an M 10 R.

exactly my thoughts. I don't need 60MP for sure. I almost NEVER crop. Like maybe 1 out of 300 pictures. If i would go for an M11, I would only use it with 38MP I guess. 60 ist just to much for the file size. A friend of mine bought into Sony but sold it again, because he needed more storage and a better computer to work with the huge files.

Reto

Of course, it always depends a bit on the genre and the subject.
What I mainly photograph (street, portraits (I also do not produce dermatologist pictures 😁) , documentation / reportage), I don't need 60 Mp for that and the prints aren't the size of a billboard either.
There are certainly enough applications and print sizes that require 60 Mp and more.
As for the computer requirement, I have had no problems with 60 Mp ( PC is 4 years old, 64 GB) and SSD / HD are also cheap today. Only when importing, but that's due to my card reader, which I'll probably have to replace sometime.

Edited by M Street Photographer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Despite all the issues described in this forum, I would go for the M11. I don't know anything about a lack of the Leica look: the pictures I get from my 35 & 50 lux and my CV 75 are just incredible and superior (from my view) to the more cooked photos from my former system (Sony Alpha). 

My unit freezes from time to time, but removing and inserting the battery back works fine until Leica finally addresses this bug with a real problem-solver firmware. 

I borrowed an M10R some time ago and, while appreciate everything about it (never froze up), I consider the M11 a superior product. It is just a matter of time that the bugs are over, or at least that's the way I'd like to think. 

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

I have some news for you. I have found what I was looking for and purchased a M10-R with a warranty :) So far I'm more than pleased with my new Leica! The battery also lasts long enough for me, but I will get a second one just in case.

Here is a photo of my M10-R.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Unfortunately, the weather was not great and I wasn't able to test the camera in my usual environment (travel, portrait, lifestyle) yet. Nevertheless, here are a couple of snapshots.

If you've been paying attention, you can see that there is another Leica behind the M10-R.... I was offered a M6 at a price I couldn't refuse. The camera came with an Elmarit-M 50mm F2.8 plus a Leicavit 14008. I will probably sell the Leicavit, as I don't think I will ever use it.

Here are a few photos of my new Leica M6 (Classic) in silver.

And here they are together:

Now I'm fully equipped with Leicas and the Voigtlander Bessa can move on to its next owner.

Thank you all for your support. I'm sure I will post some pictures in the forum in the future.

Best regards, Reto

Edited by RMeier
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 7 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 3:26 AM, harmen said:

Further improved dynamic range to make photos look more natural

Is this actually true, outside of the less than full stop improvement from about ISO 200-400?  Is this data wrong, and there really is a meaningful DR improvement in actual use:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

used, and short on cash, I would go for the lowest value one. M10, without P and not R. But...   the M240 is not terrible, people forget the beloved easily, not long ago was a marvel of thech, 24MP, plenty and great battery and reliable.

m10 -> battery not so good

m11 -> still too expensive as first camera unless you already committed

M240, maybe best compromise.  It is large, but not that large. and does video too!

G.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, geotrupede said:

M240, maybe best compromise.  It is large, but not that large. and does video too!

Don't care about video?  Want something not quite as large with even better battery life? Find an M 262.  It was my first M.  Never regretted that purchase.

On 8/15/2023 at 5:27 PM, geotrupede said:

used, and short on cash, I would go for the lowest value one. M10, without P and not R. But...   the M240 is not terrible, people forget the beloved easily, not long ago was a marvel of thech, 24MP, plenty and great battery and reliable.

m10 -> battery not so good

m11 -> still too expensive as first camera unless you already committed

G.

He decided and made a purchase 7 months ago.

Jeff

Hi all,

I hope it’s fine that I piggyback this thread. 
I’m currently in a similar position to the original thread starter. 

I’m about to switch from Fujifilm‘s X series (X-Pro 2 / 3) to Leica‘s M system. Always enjoyed shooting 35mm film (Bessa R3M, Leica Minilux). I already own M lenses with a Summicron M 50 f2.0 (V4) and a Nokton 1,4/40 MM S.C. VM.

I would like to check in and gather a few thoughts and opinions on wether the discussion and statements around M10 R vs. M11 still hold true ~ half a year later.

I’m currently looking at open-box and used offers from shops here in Germany and the price difference is roughly 1k-1,5k € between M10 R and M11 models.

Comments on dynamic range, noise at higher ISOs, as well as usb-c, battery life, electronic shutter, ISO 64 (I enjoy shooting wide open in daylight) let me lean towards the M11.

Any thoughts or practical experience that could help with that decision are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cmeinke said:

Hi all,

I hope it’s fine that I piggyback this thread. 
I’m currently in a similar position to the original thread starter. 

I’m about to switch from Fujifilm‘s X series (X-Pro 2 / 3) to Leica‘s M system. Always enjoyed shooting 35mm film (Bessa R3M, Leica Minilux). I already own M lenses with a Summicron M 50 f2.0 (V4) and a Nokton 1,4/40 MM S.C. VM.

I would like to check in and gather a few thoughts and opinions on wether the discussion and statements around M10 R vs. M11 still hold true ~ half a year later.

I’m currently looking at open-box and used offers from shops here in Germany and the price difference is roughly 1k-1,5k € between M10 R and M11 models.

Comments on dynamic range, noise at higher ISOs, as well as usb-c, battery life, electronic shutter, ISO 64 (I enjoy shooting wide open in daylight) let me lean towards the M11.

Any thoughts or practical experience that could help with that decision are much appreciated. Thanks!

Obviously if u could take advantage of usb c and battery life alone, definitely go for m11, i have both and to this date i still think that’s the benefits of using M11 over my M10r

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1