M11 Geotagging

JapanFoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nachdem ich schon lange passiv hier umschleiche, habe ich am Dienstag meine M11 bei Meister in München abgeholt. Daneben habe ich schon länger eine M6 um den Hals.

So nun zu meiner Frage: Meine M11 tagged alle Bilder mit den Koordinaten 0/0, also irgendwo im Meer vor dem afrikanischen Kontinent. Das ist insofern umständlich, da ich erst diese sinnfreie Koordinate löschen muss, um dann in Lightroom mit meinem GPS Track die richtigen GPS Koordinaten zuzuweisen. Kann man das umgehen? Über die Photos App geht das GPS tagging ja wohl noch nicht.

Das ist leider so. Im Lightroom kannst du das einfach löschen. Wir alle warten, dass Leica Fotos endlich das Geotagging kann. Allerdings sollte es bei der Q2 über die selbe App längst funktionieren; tut es aber nicht.

Sorry I accendently picked the english not german forum. Here is the translation:

After I have been passively sneaking around here for a long time, I picked up my M11 at Meister in Munich on Tuesday. In addition, I have had an M6 around my neck for some time. So now to my question: My M11 tagged all images with the coordinates 0/0, so somewhere in the sea off the African continent. This is cumbersome because I first have to delete this meaningless coordinate in order to assign the correct GPS coordinates in Lightroom with my GPS track. Can this be avoided? Gps tagging is probably not yet possible via the Photos app.

• Thanks 1

there are few programs on the computer to add the GPS data. you don't have to delete anything.

If you look back a few post this has been addressed before.

Here is what I do for tagging.

That I know the only solution when using multiple cameras is to use a logger...

I use an iPhone app called Geotag Photos 2. It is very simple and can easily go all day with out taxing the battery.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

you can then export .gpx data and add it to your program.

I sync using Photo Mechanic 6. and done. you can just the time if you forgot to set it correctly.

I have been using for years and it works for me. I have to say the Fotos app solution works some day and not others. I stoped using it for GPS

• Thanks 1

Am 12.6.2022 um 19:54 schrieb Photoworks:

there are few programs on the computer to add the GPS data. you don't have to delete anything.

The GPS tags belong to the photograph and appears in the EXIFs. So when exporting a photograph (e.g. from LR) then there is still that 0/0 as GPS tag. In case you do not set a valid tag then that 0/0 tag just stays there which you might not want to be. That is why the first thing I do is to delete the 0/0 tag in Lightroom. This is a 10 seconds activity.

15 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

The GPS tags belong to the photograph and appears in the EXIFs. So when exporting a photograph (e.g. from LR) then there is still that 0/0 as GPS tag. In case you do not set a valid tag then that 0/0 tag just stays there which you might not want to be. That is why the first thing I do is to delete the 0/0 tag in Lightroom. This is a 10 seconds activity.

How do you batch-delete the GPS tags in Lightroom?

Assume:

1) You have just imported a series of DNGs and you are in LIBRARY of your Lightroom. These pics are in a folder and at the same time in the Catalogue under "recent import". Go there as you do not mix up with other pictures that might have correct tags already. Highlight all these pictures (by choosing them). (My lightroom is set to German so I appologise for names of the LR labels that are not fully correct in english)

2) Switch now over to map module and you will be in the middle of the ocean at point 0/0. You see a yellow indicator showing the number of photographs that have that 0/0 tag. Right- click on that yellow indicator. In the pop-up-menu click on "delete GPS tags", then say "all pictures". 

3) Now all GPS tags are gone and the respective EXIF field is empty.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

Assume:

1) You have just imported a series of DNGs and you are in LIBRARY of your Lightroom. These pics are in a folder and at the same time in the Catalogue under "recent import". Go there as you do not mix up with other pictures that might have correct tags already. Highlight all these pictures (by choosing them). (My lightroom is set to German so I appologise for names of the LR labels that are not fully correct in english)

2) Switch now over to map module and you will be in the middle of the ocean at point 0/0. You see a yellow indicator showing the number of photographs that have that 0/0 tag. Right- click on that yellow indicator. In the pop-up-menu click on "delete GPS tags", then say "all pictures". 

IIRC You could also set up a preset, say “Remove Geotag” with an empty GPS field (make sure all other fields are not selected in the preset) save the preset and apply to images you want to remove GPS co-ordinates from.

Edited by OThomas

16 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

Assume:

Thanks!
Note that this does not delete tags in the DNG files unless you save the metadata manually or (maybe?) use "Automatically write changes into XMP files."

I do not understand that. Maybe I am not enough fit technically. But with my method in Lightroom the EXIF fields "GPS" and "height" are empty whereas before I saw GPS 0North 0 East and hight 0m. 

Fir me its deleted and I can put in new GPS information: Either I leave the field empty or I fill something in: I do this then in 2 ways (either/or)

1) I go into maps module and set the GPS tags manually when I know exactly where I was

2) I use GeoTagr app on the iPhone. The file I import then into Lightroom and the tagging goes then automatically through the command (on top of the screen) >map>tracklog>load tracklog and once this is loaded then >map>tracklog>tag photos automatically. Thats it.

When I leave the field empty in my exported pictures I have then no GPS information. My website is Smugmug and it does not show locations. That is why I can not follow your point 🤔

Edited by M11 for me

26 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

I do not understand that. Maybe I am not enough fit technically. But with my method in Lightroom the EXIF fields "GPS" and "height" are empty whereas before I saw GPS 0North 0 East and hight 0m. 

Fir me its deleted and I can put in new GPS information: Either I leave the field empty or I fill something in: I do this then in 2 ways (either/or)

1) I go into maps module and set the GPS tags manually when I know exactly where I was

2) I use GeoTagr app on the iPhone. The file I import then into Lightroom and the tagging goes then automatically through the command (on top of the screen) >map>tracklog>load tracklog and once this is loaded then >map>tracklog>tag photos automatically. Thats it.

When I leave the field empty in my exported pictures I have then no GPS information. My website is Smugmug and it does not show locations. That is why I can not follow your point 🤔

What is your setting for “Automatically write changes to XMP”?

If it is turned off, the Lightroom catalog contains information that says to disregard the GPS tags, but the tags are still in the DNG file (check with exiftool or reimport as a different image).

I assume you upload JPGs to SmugSmug. Any export from Lightroom will apply any Lightroom knowledge about tags being removed or not, but the original DNGs still have the tags (unless metadata is updated).

Let me know if I failed to explain it.

Re “Automatically write changes to XMP” my setting is without the tick so that I do not write the XMP file. I do not really know why i would need that. Up to now whatever changes I make in Lightroom are shown in my Smugmug as well (Smugmug is implemented as a Plugin in Lightroom so I do no Export; its all within Lightroom)

Things seem to be a bit complicated when you start to plunge into it. But interesting anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...

This received today  (14 July) re the M11 geotagging question:

The M11 will receive an Firmware update 2.X in late summer, which will unlock Bluetooth to use the GPS, please be patient.  Thank you for your understanding and do not hesitate to contact again if you have further questions.

Peter Brieger

Leica Camera AG

Customer Care / Leica FOTOS App Support

Am Leitz-Park 5 / 35578 Wetzlar/ Germany

app-support@leica-camera.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 1:54 PM, Photoworks said:

I use an iPhone app called Geotag Photos 2. It is very simple and can easily go all day with out taxing the battery.

+1 for this app. Love it. Once you've set it up, incredibly seamless to use. 

Also, as suggested above, a metadata preset with the GPS entry left blank on import will save the step of having to manual delete them.

Am 14.7.2022 um 18:27 schrieb Jiminy:

This received today  (14 July) re the M11 geotagging question:

The M11 will receive an Firmware update 2.X in late summer, which will unlock Bluetooth to use the GPS, please be patient.  Thank you for your understanding and do not hesitate to contact again if you have further questions.

Peter Brieger

Leica Camera AG

Customer Care / Leica FOTOS App Support

Am Leitz-Park 5 / 35578 Wetzlar/ Germany

app-support@leica-camera.com

But note that with the Q2 that feature should work for a long time already (out of the same Leica Fotos app). But for most users it still does not work (some report that it works for them. At least that). That is a pitty and I do not expect too much for late summer (except more heat).

6 hours ago, M11 for me said:

But note that with the Q2 that feature should work for a long time already (out of the same Leica Fotos app). But for most users it still does not work (some report that it works for them. At least that). That is a pitty and I do not expect too much for late summer (except more heat).

Didn’t realize others were still having trouble geotagging with their Q2. My monochrome version seems to work fine. Sorry to hear that’s not true for all.