M11 Geotagging

JapanFoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, elmars said:

Can You please explain how I can get the Geotag data into Lightroom btw the exif of the M11 files. 

I'm assuming you're using Lightroom Classic? This might seem "fiddly", but it's really a very simple process. Also, if you haven't already stripped the bogus 0000 coordinates, you need to do that first.

1. The Geotag data file needs to get to your computer somehow. I use a MacBook, so I usually use AirDrop. But you could also use the app website – https://www.geotagphotos.net/a/ – to do that.
  2. Open up Lightroom and go to the Map module. Once there, go to the tool bar at the bottom and click the GPS Tracklog button (it's to the right of the lock icon.) Select Load Tracklog..., navigate to wherever the file now, and click Choose.
  3. There are other ways to do this next step, but I like to return to the Library module here. Select the photos that you want to update with their coordinates. Go to the Map module again. Click the GPS Tracklog button again, and this time, select Auto-Tag [# of pics] selected photos. Almost instantaneously, everything's got GPS data.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, JackieMac said:

I'm assuming you're using Lightroom Classic? This might seem "fiddly", but it's really a very simple process. Also, if you haven't already stripped the bogus 0000 coordinates, you need to do that first.

1. The Geotag data file needs to get to your computer somehow. I use a MacBook, so I usually use AirDrop. But you could also use the app website – https://www.geotagphotos.net/a/ – to do that.
  2. Open up Lightroom and go to the Map module. Once there, go to the tool bar at the bottom and click the GPS Tracklog button (it's to the right of the lock icon.) Select Load Tracklog..., navigate to wherever the file now, and click Choose.
  3. There are other ways to do this next step, but I like to return to the Library module here. Select the photos that you want to update with their coordinates. Go to the Map module again. Click the GPS Tracklog button again, and this time, select Auto-Tag [# of pics] selected photos. Almost instantaneously, everything's got GPS data.

Good luck!

hi  jackie thanks for the explanation,

does thing will affect other photos from a gps enabled camera? or it works for all camera that has no gps, say M10 for instance?

vor 7 Stunden schrieb JackieMac:

Good luck!

Thank You very much! I will try it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jakontil said:

hi  jackie thanks for the explanation,

does thing will affect other photos from a gps enabled camera? or it works for all camera that has no gps, say M10 for instance?

when starting the "Geotag Photos 2" you need to get the same time on the camera that is displayed .

I have time sync from the Leica Fotos app on all my camera, so that when I travel I don't have to change anything manual . 

the benefit of geotag app is that you can have the same data on many camera, I often shoot on 2-3 bodies and I can add GPS data on all of then in a few clicks based on the time.

The Fotos app only connects one camera to the app, that I know.

GPS location data can be overwritten with imported data. Not sure why M11 has 00000 all the time. I have ask Leica and they are looking into it. SL2 and others don't do that.

The Geotag app log can be done in sec increments , I have it set to 5sec. There is no impact on iPhone battery life, I run it all day when I get out and turn it off when I import the images.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

when starting the "Geotag Photos 2" you need to get the same time on the camera that is displayed .

I have time sync from the Leica Fotos app on all my camera, so that when I travel I don't have to change anything manual . 

the benefit of geotag app is that you can have the same data on many camera, I often shoot on 2-3 bodies and I can add GPS data on all of then in a few clicks based on the time.

The Fotos app only connects one camera to the app, that I know.

GPS location data can be overwritten with imported data. Not sure why M11 has 00000 all the time. I have ask Leica and they are looking into it. SL2 and others don't do that.

The Geotag app log can be done in sec increments , I have it set to 5sec. There is no impact on iPhone battery life, I run it all day when I get out and turn it off when I import the images.

thanks mate! this app seems to be the answer at least to my M10 and M11 eventually, and good thing it doesnt tax much on the iphone battery too

5 hours ago, jakontil said:

thanks mate! this app seems to be the answer at least to my M10 and M11 eventually, and good thing it doesnt tax much on the iphone battery too

I use Geotag 2 on several cameras and it works very well. 

I created a folder on mt desktop labeled Geotag Photos and transfer the photos from the SD or CF cards to that folder.  I then geotag them using the desktop Geotag 2 program in a few seconds. I then import them to Capture One and they are all geotagged perfectly. All my photos are RAW as well. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

I use Geotag 2 on several cameras and it works very well. 

I created a folder on mt desktop labeled Geotag Photos and transfer the photos from the SD or CF cards to that folder.  I then geotag them using the desktop Geotag 2 program in a few seconds. I then import them to Capture One and they are all geotagged perfectly. All my photos are RAW as well. 

Thanks for the workflow! This is quite practical too 

10 hours ago, jakontil said:

10 hours ago, jakontil said:

After a few times it becomes second nature and goes quickly.

• Like 1

I religiously geotag my photos, thinking I can have more context about them say in 10 years or later.

I also use GeoTagger 2 and it works well enough. Even interacted with the developer in Slovenia (or is that Croatia?) who is pretty responsive. I used to have the GPS log always turned on on my iPhone so I won't forget to turn it on, but it was a drain on the phone's battery. I interacted with the developer because I had some issues where my timezone offset was not setup correctly on the camera and differs with the one setup in the app. My workflow is to download the photos from the SD storage directly to the desktop and then apply the geotagging before importing into Lightroom.

I started using GeoTagger 2 with my then Panasonic GX85 and Nikon D750, but now that I'm using the Sony A7RM3 and Nikon Z 50, both with Bluetooth geotagging, I've stopped using GeoTagger 2 until the M11 came along. I find Bluetooth to drain less on the phone's battery for one thing, and also it maybe more flexible in the future if I have a change of workflow and want to do some editing or consolidation on the iPad first. as the images already come with GPS data embedded. It doesn't work perfectly. Sony would auto connect over longer period of time versus Nikon so I have to be more conscious reconnecting with Nikon. But Nikon does not miss out once every few photos like Sony, So it chalks up to different algorithms they use. I then use a simple app GeoTag on MacOS to review the photos to check that the photos are all tagged, if not I manually patch them up. Still a bit painful. Hope they can all refine their algorithms to be more reliable.

Lastly, as a software developer myself, I find all of these phone apps to be crap. I wish the app itself is a centrepiece of the solution rather than an afterthought.

• 3 months later...

I also geotag all my photos. After getting the M11, i've been searching for a sample solution. GeoTag Photos Pro 2 is perfect. 

I'm also the person who edit import RAW files, edit and export as JPG files all on my iPad Pro, GeoTag Photo Tagger also work hand in hand very nicely. 

My standard workflow:
(1) Import RAW into Lightroom Mobile
(2) Edit/Retouch
(3) Export them as JPG at 100% quality into Photos App on my iPad Pro
(4) Run GeoTag Tagger with the gpx file saved on my iCloud Drive and all the photo will have location data embedded. 

I subscribed Apple's 2TB iCloud Drive, so all the original files (finished JPG files) are safely stored on iCloud. iPad Pro will only store smaller version. This means i don't need to break my wallet and purchase 2TB iPro Pro. 

I often created shared album and share photo with people. They will have 100% JPG quality and don't take up too much space on their end. 

vor 37 Minuten schrieb AndrewK:

I also geotag all my photos. After getting the M11, i've been searching for a sample solution. GeoTag Photos Pro 2 is perfect. 

I'm also the person who edit import RAW files, edit and export as JPG files all on my iPad Pro, GeoTag Photo Tagger also work hand in hand very nicely. 

My standard workflow:
(1) Import RAW into Lightroom Mobile
(2) Edit/Retouch
(3) Export them as JPG at 100% quality into Photos App on my iPad Pro
(4) Run GeoTag Tagger with the gpx file saved on my iCloud Drive and all the photo will have location data embedded. 

I subscribed Apple's 2TB iCloud Drive, so all the original files (finished JPG files) are safely stored on iCloud. iPad Pro will only store smaller version. This means i don't need to break my wallet and purchase 2TB iPro Pro. 

I often created shared album and share photo with people. They will have 100% JPG quality and don't take up too much space on their end. 

What is GeoTag Tagger? Why do you not tag within Lightroom?

5 hours ago, M11 for me said:

What is GeoTag Tagger? Why do you not tag within Lightroom?

It’s an app from the same developer. Its name in App Store is Geotag Photo Tagger (GPX).

I don’t tag my photo within Lightroom is because i do my post mainly on my iPad Pro and Lightroom Mobile doesn’t support geotag function. Thus i have to find an alternative.

• Thanks 1

I have been using the Geotag Photo 2 app for some time. it is simple and love it.

There is a new app that I can start from my iPhone that tracks exercise and GPS data and I am using it on the Apple Watch ultra.

WorkOutDoors

I can export GXP data after you stop tracking...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I have been using the Geotag Photo 2 app for some time. it is simple and love it.

There is a new app that I can start from my iPhone that tracks exercise and GPS data and I am using it on the Apple Watch ultra.

WorkOutDoors

WorkOutDoors works on Apple Watch Ultra??? I’ve gotta check it out. Thanks for the info!!

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

WorkOutDoors

Do you select “Walking” or “Indoor Walking” when tracking your route/path?

22 minutes ago, AndrewK said:

Do you select “Walking” or “Indoor Walking” when tracking your route/path?

I do walking and biking,

set it when I go out and stop when I am back home....

it is a busy app. but works

After you stop it shows up in you iphone app and can be shared anyway you like

• Like 1

Looks like the Apple Watch Logs much more detailed than iPhone 13 Pro.

May help you decide what you use.

Watch battery went down 7% in 2 hour log.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

7 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Looks like the Apple Watch Logs much more detailed than iPhone 13 Pro.

May help you decide what you use.

Watch battery went down 7% in 2 hour log.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

iPhone 14 Pro models are apparently more accurate than previous models (dual-frequency GPS as in Apple Watch Ultra). I do not own iPhone 14.