List all the focal lengths of the L lenses you have

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Following the illuminating thread on the M lenses, let's see what are the focal distances folks use the most. 

List all yours from widest to longest, without details, and if you have sat three 50mm ones, add *3.  List only native L mount lenses.  You can elaborate on them after the list.  List a zoom as its range sorted by the wide end.  I'll start:

16-35, 24*2, 24-70, 28-70, 35*2, 50*2, 65, 85, 90

Notes: Leica APOs 35 and 50, Sigma 35/2.0 and Panasonic 50/1.8.

24/3.5 is Sigma and very small, 24/2.0 is also Sigma and really helps being fast.

24-70 and 28-70 are Sigma zooms, the small one really easy to carry about, the bigger adds room when needed.

65/2.0 and 85/1.4 are Sigma.

90 is Sigma and amazingly small and surprisingly useful.

Edited by setuporg

35, 24-90, 50

Currently in my SL-native kit are the 35 and 50 APO Summicron-SL lenses and the 24-90 Vario-Elmar.  I technically still own the 35 Sigma Art f/1.2 but that will be sold soon as it’s just too big for a 35 and in lieu of the 35 APO, never gets used.  Very happy with my kit so far - it does very well for portraits and landscapes.  Occasionally street when I want color, the light is good, and I don’t mind lugging around a bigger body and lens :)

• Like 1

24-90, 90-280, 50, 75

24-90: My 'go to' lens for landscape/candid landscape, general daylight photography. Also when travelling "light" I would typically take the 24-90 and one of my primes for evening use. Having a background as a user of M rangefinders it took a while to 'accept' this zoom, but the more I use it the more amazed I am at its versality and quality (noting that the Summicron SL lenses are on another level again).

90-280: For more 'serious' landscape photography, dedicated photography overnight trips, or on a local excursion where I don't have too much other stuff to carry.

50&75 Summicron SL: For my main passion - music photography, often in small badly lit venues. I wouldn't mind a fast wide angle also but not a big priority right now. I guess the 50/75 pairing would raise some eyebrows. I agonised for months between the 75 and 90 and am happy with my choice so far. I also use these lenses for candid snaps of family and friends in indoor venues. When I shoot larger music events (COVID has pretty much blocked this) with better lighting then my zooms would come back into play.

For the future: I would like an fast ultrawide for e.g. astro or northern lights (but rarely have opportunity to do this type of stuff). Also a longer zoom like the Sigma 150-500 would be appealing for moon photography but again I doubt this is worth the investment given my lifestyle and priorities. 

🙃

• Like 1

24-90 (and a set of vintage series 1 R lenses for filmmaking)

The 24-90 is a revelation in terms of sharpness, chromatic aberrations controlling and the dimensionality it renders. Its AF is fast, its reach longer than the usual suspects and the bokeh is modern and round. The 24-90 is a benchmark of a modern, high-end standard zoom. But still, there is some character to be found. For what I'm doing with my SL2-S (mostly reportages and small team video shoots), it's sufficient. Nothing else required.

• Like 3

24-90, 90-280, 35, 75

Usage? 24-90 probably 90% of the time. I’m waiting for things to change in wider society to see if I’ll hold on to the primes. I bought the 75 as a portrait lens and the 35 because it’s so good - but they’ve had so little use I’m not sure if I can justify holding on to them. I’m giving it another 12 months. The reality is I could cover everything I need to with the SL system with just the zooms - when I need primes I have the M10-R with 28 / 35 / 50 + the Q2. An embarrassment of riches really…

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16-35,24-70 (Leica Version), 35,50x2,75,24-90,24-105,90-280,70200/4.0PANA, 70-300PANA, 135/1.8 Sigma, and 20-60 Pana

The 24-70 has kind of replaced my 24-90 due to smaller size

And the 70-300 is my goto Tele (also due to size, even its not as good as the Leica 90-280)

Most used are the 50 Primes and the 24-70. I will probably sell the 24-105 (comes from a bundle once upon a time).

I

Edited by tom0511
  • Like 1

sigma 25/2, 45/2.8, 28-70/2.8, 70 macro/2.8 (all good and will add the 90/2.8 soon)

lumix 20-60/v (used on S5 for video) 70-300/v

the 70-300/v is the maximum size and weight I consider all day portable so whilst I can see a couple of SL primes on the horizon I have turned my back on the SL zooms

• Like 1

3 hours ago, huwm said:

sigma 25/2, 45/2.8, 28-70/2.8, 70 macro/2.8 (all good and will add the 90/2.8 soon)

lumix 20-60/v (used on S5 for video) 70-300/v

the 70-300/v is the maximum size and weight I consider all day portable so whilst I can see a couple of SL primes on the horizon I have turned my back on the SL zooms

just been out and about for a couple of hours with  70-300 and 45/2, remembered that I have done the same with 70-300 and 24/2 (not 28-70 as that exceeds limit of my little sling bag volume wise) and realised that I could carry the 24-90 if I was prepared to lose 90+ which I'm not really, though if I could sneak in my m 135 Elmar?

to be continued....

• Like 1

I have a habit of having a manual and AF lens at every length. I have the...

50-Lux SL

50-Nocti 0.95 (coming in soon...bit the bullet)

35 1.2 Sigma ART DG DN

35-Lux M

24 1.4 Sigma ART DG HSM

I know it says "have" but I had a 75mm-SL but it was too amazing. I loved it when I got to try it at my local Leica store. When I used it more, I realized that the images were too sharp and clear for my taste. It's like a car that has too much power hahaha. My next lens goal is a 75mm Nocti

Edited by voyance
  • Haha 1