Advice on longer focal length options to complement/replace Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, Qwertynm said:

Of course the old cameras and lenses still work. It’s a dead system in the sense of it has been abandoned by Leica and once your CL dies, you won’t be able to get a new one or get it repaired. The lenses will probably work far longer than the bodies and with todays high MP camera the upgrade path to the SL line has been laid out by Leica. Well played

Leica guarantees repairs for six years after the end of production of the CL. But I am convinced that the real service span, subject to parts availability, will be much longer. 

vor 38 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

Leica guarantees repairs for six years after the end of production of the CL.

That’s reassuring for existing users but wouldn‘t sway me to buy into this abandoned system. 

this has been posted today on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Leica/s/EV7AlJrPXm

Looks like an M-esque camera. Maybe it’s fake or maybe it’s a SL-C(ompact). If I were @Rsure I‘d wait a couple of days until the new SL lineup is revealed and decide then. 

That is by all sources the introduction date  of the SL3   The invitation only mentions “ a beautiful new product”. But I agree, it seems to have a flat top. 

3 hours ago, Qwertynm said:

That’s reassuring for existing users but wouldn‘t sway me to buy into this abandoned system. 

Looks like an M-esque camera. Maybe it’s fake or maybe it’s a SL-C(ompact). If I were @Rsure I‘d wait a couple of days until the new SL lineup is revealed and decide then. 

I have many “abandoned” systems, including HB-V, C645, Nikon D850, Canon 5DM4, Leica CL, X, Vlux,, Dlux, etc. I also had very new Fujifilm GFX100 and somewhat old Sony A7R2.  Currently only C645 lenses had unfixable problem, and they are damaged by GFX100 and A7R2 that are combined with lens adapters.

5 hours ago, Rsure said:

@mokona thank you for sharing the comparison. The Canon R5 body alone looks almost as big as the Q2! 

@Le Chef I was wondering what the implications of Leica discontinuing a model are. Is it different from any other model that gets replaced by a newer one like the M9/M10 etc..? No new lenses could be a big one perhaps?

@jaapv with the addition of a CL would there be a compelling reason to have a Q2 (for travel/landscapes)? Other than having FF of course. 

• The Canon is bulky and the lens even more. Everything is relative. In the  mirrorless FF world this is not big and bulky, but this whole discussion started with the desire and need to travel light and compact. And a need for superb IQ like the Q2 provides but for longer FL than it can do.
  • In case of the M, discontinuing the M ranges is highly unlikely. They have a range of compatible M lenses since 1953 and even LTM from 1930 - now are fully compatible with an adapter. You would not even know it is there and functionality is exactly the same as any M lens.
    Even when Leica would discontinue the range, a lot of manufacturers make M and LTM lenses now that are fully compatible.
  • The Q2 would replace the need for wides on the CL. Up to 35mm I see no issue and maybe even 50mm. It also eliminates the need for switching lenses in the open. A CL with 50mm (75eq) or 90mm(135eq.) would complement the Q2 very nicely and by cropping (2x) it would cover up to 150eq. or 270eq.
    So for this trip it seems to come in very handy, unless you realy want to travel light. Then the CL with 2-3 primes or a zoom could cover everything. IMO any zoom has the disadvantage of either being slow or heavy/bulky. Working with primes has my preference, but with primes having two bodies will add more value than with zooms.
5 hours ago, Rsure said:

The SL line is as bulky as a Nikon/Canon system that I moved away from (happily) to the Q2. I would like to avoid going back to something similarly sized.

+1

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Leica guarantees repairs for six years after the end of production of the CL. But I am convinced that the real service span, subject to parts availability, will be much longer. 

It used to be 10 years with M systems. And in reality they supported changing sensors for the M9 (2009-2012) for free long after the warranty (2019?) and then as a paid repair until 2021. I even know of a generous upgrade offer for M9 to M11 from November 2023! He was offered more than the used price of a corrosion free M9 for his broken/corrosion affected M9. Which manufacturer will do that 10 years after purchase?

4 hours ago, Qwertynm said:

It would be only relevant if it is a new CL like model, and if it will be available shortly. Usually newly released models have a long waiting list for the first year after release. An other matter will be the price. If it is a CL like model in FF, then it will be more expensive than the Q3 at least when combined with a Summilux of any kind.

• Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb dpitt:

The Canon is bulky and the lens even more. Everything is relative. In the  mirrorless FF world this is not big and bulky, but this whole discussion started with the desire and need to travel light and compact. And a need for superb IQ like the Q2 provides but for longer FL than it can do.

depends on where you're coming from, what you're comparing against and what you value more. If compactness is the ultimate goal there are cameras like the Sony RX100 that go from 24-200. And on the other end of the spectrum is something like a Leica SL with the 90-280. In between are many options to choose from.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb dpitt:

It would be only relevant if it is a new CL like model, and if it will be available shortly. Usually newly released models have a long waiting list for the first year after release. An other matter will be the price. If it is a CL like model in FF, then it will be more expensive than the Q3 at least when combined with a Summilux of any kind.

I personally hope it's a M-EVF like SL camera. If that were the case my Canon would be on the way out

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, Qwertynm said:

Depends on where you're coming from, what you're comparing against and what you value more.

This. The OP is coming from the Q2. Try to equal that in the same size and IQ but with longer FL.

23 minutes ago, Qwertynm said:

I personally hope it's a M-EVF like SL camera.

I would not mind it to inherit from SL, if that could be done for the same price as the CL like version. Anyway, it will not be cheap.
I would like anything that improves a bit on the CL, and with a L mount.  And I would accept any move towards SL-like features and performance as a bonus, except for weight and size.

Best complimentary option for Q2 😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 2

@Qwertynm thanks for the headsup on the new Leica. I looked it up and seems there's a lot of information online about the new SL3 that's expected to be launched in March. It looks like it will be only slightly smaller/lighter than the SL2 in which case will still be like a large professional camera. And Sl lenses as well are quite big. Of course I wont make a decision till this new camera is launched but like @dpitt has mentioned any new camera will also be expensive and difficult to get hold of initially.

I have TL2 and 55-135mm. I also have the Q3. There is a world of difference between the two systems. Not least AF. At least as much as starting with eg a new/different camera brand. All due respect to Leica but the APSC 55-135mm is a dead system and I certainly wouldn't buy any more of it. I have it and it is extremely difficult to sell used at all. I would also suggest it with another system eg Canon 70-200. It could also be Nikon or Sony if that is preferred.

It’s funny, but I’ve had a private buyer offer me more for my CL kit (body + 6 lenses) than I paid for it. Needless to say I’m not selling. A Fuji XT5 sounds like a good alternative, until you look at the menu system. It looks like the local diner’s 20 page alternative ways to cook an egg as recreated by Jackson Pollock. If you like looking down at changing menu items rather than taking pictures it’s the perfect choice. In the meantime I’m sticking with the CL.

10 hours ago, Rsure said:

@Qwertynm thanks for the headsup on the new Leica. I looked it up and seems there's a lot of information online about the new SL3 that's expected to be launched in March. It looks like it will be only slightly smaller/lighter than the SL2 in which case will still be like a large professional camera. And Sl lenses as well are quite big. Of course I wont make a decision till this new camera is launched but like @dpitt has mentioned any new camera will also be expensive and difficult to get hold of initially.

From your response, you are not looking for any Leica. 
Try somewhere else.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Le Chef:

A Fuji XT5 sounds like a good alternative, until you look at the menu system. It looks like the local diner’s 20 page alternative ways to cook an egg as recreated by Jackson Pollock. If you like looking down at changing menu items rather than taking pictures it’s the perfect choice.

I don’t know if you‘re being sarcastic or trying to be funny. Why would you spend more time in the menu with either system.

Like with Leica Fuji has a Menu page for most used functions or favorites. Just set up that and you‘re good to go. Don’t understand your dismissive comments towards everything that’s not Leica. 

• Like 2

If you can use Photoshop, C1 or Lightroom, you certainly can also navigate a camera menu. 
Besides, once you set a menu with your favourite options, which takes about 10 minutes, you don’t need to delve deeper into the menu anymore. 
If you still have issues, then I’m afraid the problem is the user, not the camera, since million of people seems to be able to use other brands with no problems. 

• Thanks 1

I’m happy to use post software and find it easy. I can set a Fuji camera to do what I want, but it’s the antithesis of what I want. The Fuji UI is frankly badly written and organized with options for everything including the kitchen sink. “Which side does Sir favour?” They should hire people from Apple to do the job properly. But again this is a personal opinion. 

vor 33 Minuten schrieb Le Chef:

The Fuji UI is frankly badly written and organized with options for everything including the kitchen sink.

Same could be said about the Q3 function buttons and how they are implemented imho. I can access every possible menu option from 4 different programmable buttons. But I first have to change the function of said button to then press it again to access that function. In AF-modes I can’t uncheck those modes I never use. I have to toggle trough all the options to switch from spot to face tracking. That’s a stupid implementation but I can still shoot images regardless. The way you framed it sounds as if the Fuji has the shutter button hidden somewhere deep down in the menu 😂 

there are certainly reasons to choose a Leica over a Fuji but it’s not the Menu (for me ;-))

38 minutes ago, Qwertynm said:

But I first have to change the function of said button to then press it again to access that function.

That's why you create discrete Profiles. You create separate "Spot" and "Face Tracking" profiles with the appropriate metering to suit.

The Fujis have more buttons on them than a haberdasher's shop. That personally feels like a combination of poor ergonomics and poor UI.

2 hours ago, Le Chef said:

That's why you create discrete Profiles. You create separate "Spot" and "Face Tracking" profiles with the appropriate metering to suit.

But don't you need to go to the menu to change a profile, e.g. from profile A to profile B?

I wish there was a way to switch between Face Detect and Spot or Field at the press of a button, without faffing with the menu. 

• Haha 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Le Chef:

Having to resort to a workaround is not really a display of brilliant functionality of a camera, is it 😂