24mm focal length - post your shots

TheGodParticle/Hari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, yanidel said:

get extra distortion

One of the advantages of a 24mm is that if used with care you can manage out distortion, much more so than with a 21mm, which makes it good for interior shots. You may be 'fooled' by this in not realising how much of a scene has been included. I have 35mm and 28mm, and the 24 has distinct advantages in certain situations, like greatly increased depth of field and/or including more foreground and  sky. I am a 50 guy and don't use it often, but glad I have got it.

Not sure why it is so unpopular to the point where Leica discontinued all 24's.

• Like 5

vor 18 Stunden schrieb yanidel:

I own the 24mm Elmarit and though I have tried to shoot with it many times, I found that 95% of the pictures I took with it could have been taken with a 35mm as well.  And I believe this thread kinds of proves it as most pictures posted here could have easily been taken with a 35mm (except for Malabito's pictures) . Yet with 24mm, you get extra distortion and less ability to separate background than 35mm. 
This makes the 24mm as a focal for special projects, for crowded environment, when you want to get close and get the surroundings in the picture. A very difficult focal to use. At least from me. But made me want to try again, that is what is good about theses threads ;)

Could you not say as well that most 35mm shots could have been made with 28, 24 or 21mm? Of course with the lack of zoom lens we learn to manage with what is on our camera body. But for me I would say that its a different perspective when using 21 or 24mm. It's a decision made before going out which lens you want to take with you. With 24 you are probably a bit more versatile and alway have the option to crop in post.

• Like 2

To me I find the 24 mm has a very special perspective and space definition that a 35 mm can not  deliver. It is a difficult lens to use and one has to exercise a lot in terms of body placement and the height of the camera. However once you get it is a delight to use. I am less of a street shooter but in people mixed landscapes it is very special.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

A few in B&W with Monochrome

• Like 12

Taken in 2018 in Zululand, at the top of Hlobane mountain, before my M9 had a new sensor - hence the corrosion blobs in the sky which have been taken out on the full version!

• Like 6

24 Summilux on M9M

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Elmarit-M 1:2,8/24 ASPH., M10-P

24mm T1.3 Zeiss Ultraprime PL mount on M8

• Like 11

24 Super Elmar f3.8 on M10-P

• Like 8

24mm Super Elmar f3.8 on M10-P

• Like 7

M240 + Elmar-M 1:3.8/24 ASPH. Sv. Filip i Jakov, Croatia

Edited by jannes
  • Like 9

• Like 10

• Like 5

On 8/6/2022 at 6:48 AM, M11 for me said:

Could you not say as well that most 35mm shots could have been made with 28, 24 or 21mm? Of course with the lack of zoom lens we learn to manage with what is on our camera body. But for me I would say that its a different perspective when using 21 or 24mm. It's a decision made before going out which lens you want to take with you. With 24 you are probably a bit more versatile and alway have the option to crop in post.

In the case of street photography, If you are willing to shoot people at 70cm to fill the frame, you could replicate the 35mm field of view.  But in the action,  you might crash into them, miscalculating the distance to subject  in the external viewfinder ( it has happened to me).  And I am not talking about how intrusive it might be perceived. It is not very convenient to use the 24mm to take 35mm shots. In street at least. When stars align, results are wonderful, but it is a extremely difficult learning curve to produce 24mm shots that could not be taken with a 35mm.

M10 / 24mm Elmar-M

• Like 11

I am so very glad that I decided to opt for acquiring an Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8, rather than either a 21mm SEM, or a more “modern” 28mm than my Elmarit-M 28mm Version III, in early 2022. This included consideration of severely stretching my budget, to acquire a 28mm Summilux-M ASPH, which I am, now, really glad that I did not do.

I had not cared much for the 24mm focal length, when using DSLRs, but, now, really do like using an Elmar-M 24mm lens, on an M camera. Notably, I had not liked the 50mm focal length, much, when shooting DSLRs, either, but seriously love the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, on M cameras. (My entry into the Leica M system was a pre-owned Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, which I tried, during multiple visits, on pre-owned/demo M9 and M Type 240 cameras, at a local Leica dealer. I was then shown a new M10, which had just become available, without the need to first be on a waiting list.) I had not been able to try any 24mm lens, on a Leica M camera, to, it was much more of a leap of faith, to buy a pre-owned Elmar-M 24mm, sight unseen, but the images in this discussion thread helped me to have the faith, to do so.

Knowing that replacing an Elmar-M 24mm lens would be increasingly difficult, in the future, in the event of theft, loss, or damage, especially if some internet influencer causes collectors to “discover” it, I took the additional step to acquire a second one. Plus, I can shoot with a identical 24mm lenses, on both an M10, and an M 246 Monochrom, as I sometimes do with 35mm Zeiss ZM lenses.

24mm does require greater care, than 28mm, in composing images, but is notably quicker/easier than when using a 21mm lens. I do still like using 21mm lenses, but the 21mm SEM can wait; perhaps in 2023 or 2024.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 3

M(240) / 24mm Elmar-M

• Like 8

M240 + Elmar-M 1:3.8/24 ASPH. New Cathedral, Salamanca, Spain

• Like 9

M240 + Elmar-M 1:3.8/24 ASPH. New Cathedral, Salamanca, Spain

• Like 4