No video with M11 - this is expected in 2022, right?

mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, adan said:

Buttons, heating, opinions, video, blah, blah blah.

Here's the 2017 poll on who would NOT buy the M10 because it lacked video.

Results - less than 1% cared enough about video to reject the M10.

0.75% is not a market - it is a rounding error. Expendable.

That is why Leica won't waste any more time on video in the M system. They can read numbers.

Oh those loud less than one percenters 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/18/2022 at 1:16 AM, mirekti said:

I bet no one would have ever complained

I would have. I hate complex menu's and building in all the options the industry has at a certain moment. M photography is about three things, focus, time and aperture. Please leave all the rest. Like in cars: they build in all kinds of software gadgets to seduce the consumer and in the end you're saddled with a lot of interference and meddling, which makes you rather a less reliable driver than a better one.

• Like 2

Without “video”, a.k.a. cinema, there would not be Leica.

Barnack’s concept of using cine film links the Leica to movie cameras, with which he was of course thoroughly familiar.  The original Leica is in fact a still cine camera.

Leica’s long history of integrating rapid winders (from MOOLY to Leicavit) is part of that tradition.  Cine and cine-like reportage is thoroughly part of Leica’s DNA.

In other words, purists should welcome video in their Leica, not reject it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, adan said:

Buttons, heating, opinions, video, blah, blah blah.

Here's the 2017 poll on who would NOT buy the M10 because it lacked video.

Results - less than 1% cared enough about video to reject the M10.

0.75% is not a market - it is a rounding error. Expendable.

That is why Leica won't waste any more time on video in the M system. They can read numbers.

And what is the percentage who would NOT have bought the M10 if it HAD included video?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tsleica said:

Now if Sigma found a way to do it..in that lil powerful FP body..

Sigma did it by adding a heat sink to the fp, which increases the thickness.

I'm another one who would be relaxed about adding video to a M, and would welcome it, even if I did not use it much.
But with the talk of all the grumbles on the M11 pages about the shutter, liveview etc, I can just imagine the conversation in the Leica M11 design team:
Designer A: "Well, we have sorted power and heat now, and we have the battery capacity, so shall we add video back in?"
Designer B: "No way - punters are going to get antsy enough about modernising the M as it is. Leaving video out is a statement that it is still a traditional Leica."
All: "ROTFLMAO!"

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Haha 1

Young newly employed Leica designer: Cant we make this camera more usable for regular folks or even some pros..as in..add some convenient functions..or even just 1..maybe perhaps..video???

Old Fart Leica Designer: Do I have cruise control in my sports car?? Noooo... Do I want to go to the trouble to implement video??..Noooo...Do I have air conditioning in my car...nooooo...do I wanna make waves..nooooo..

..and...btw...its Oktoberfest..and I'm drinkin my Beerz...go away young man..go far far away...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Old man, standing before an Ansel Adams landscape, admiring the composition, the blacks, the greys, the detail, the tonality and, overall, the serenity of the image.  He wonders at the time the photographer took to be there at the right time, with his tripod and his camera and the care he took.

Young hipster walks past with his beats in his ears, nods, snaps a picture with his iPhone, posts it to his Instagram page and moves on.

Too early for beer, and the old man prefers single malt over weizen in a beer tent 🤪

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Haha 1

Probably best not to quote Ansel as an example..

Who used a mule to get up the mountain w/8x10...and camped out for months..something I doubt any Leica M photog would ever contemplate..

And by the end of his life was using Hasselblad exclusively..and fully committed to the then burgeoning ..digital revolution..

Not to say..all the technical side of things in the darkroom..

He was as complicated and technical as they came..and forward looking too..not backwards at all..

Snapping the shutter..was the least of it..

Though he would happy snap from time to time..w/Contax 35mm..see Georgia O'keefe stuff..

Edited by tsleica

On 1/19/2022 at 9:45 PM, tsleica said:

Would be great to have a rangefinder that shoots vids..the only one on the planet..

There already is.  It's called the M240.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:45 PM, tsleica said:

If M had video..I would buy..

There are plenty of used M240's in vgc for sale.

Pete.

• Like 1

I have heard that the SL shoots quite nice video. There are adapters for using M lenses on SL cameras. I have seen SL cameras at the Leica dealer in nearby Houston, Texas, and, at one point, almost bought a pre-owned SL. (Plus, there is at least one adapter, with quite good AF capability, that would allows me to keep using my much-loved Canon EF lenses.) If I want to shoot video, with M lenses, and my M Type 246 does not have enough of those K things, 😉 well, there is the SL option.

It is not that video is not part of my mindset. I have, at times, considered getting one of those camera cages, and a stabilizing device, in order to do video really right, perhaps to use some of my skills, from my time as a night-shift police patrol officer, with the added duty of forensic/evidentiary/crime scene photographer, to get some quite dramatic, first-on-scene video footage. I would not, however, want to cage an M camera, and would want to be able to use some serious telephoto lenses.

On 1/18/2022 at 1:16 AM, mirekti said:

No video with M11 - this is expected in 2022, right?

No, I don't expect video in an M. I don't even want it. I just expect an M to give me the purest shooting experience a camera can provide.

3 hours ago, evikne said:

No, I don't expect video in an M. I don't even want it. I just expect an M to give me the purest shooting experience a camera can provide.

Ideally you’d keep enjoying your pure experience and a small fn button could add a video for those who need it.  The way it was done on M246 was really good in my opinion.  Hopefully the purism will not extend to the denial of the very idea of video for the sake of denial, that simply adds nothing except for limiting those who need it.

Sigma FP has no issues w/video in a body smaller than the M.

Leica probably does not want the extra potential work here..for no extra $$$..

So as long as people are willing to pay for an M as is..no need to change..

But that said..the minute sales are down on the M..

They will be thinkin..all huddled in the backroom..

Hey..why not update the M soon... and add video..

Wow..thats a great idea..didnt we do that a long time ago..

I think so..I think we used to do that right..didnt we?

But..

I dont know if this is true..if the M  series even makes a profit at all..or barely breaks even..

So if this is true..not much profit in the M..

They will continue to cripple it..or discontinue it entirely..when M sales start to tank and/or..when someone else.. decides to make a cheaper and perhaps..better rangefinder.

But if the M is actually profitable..then no need to change it..for now..

As long as people are willing to fork out $10K for body and finder..they will keep it around..

Dont know what the yearly M sales #'s are..it cant be that much..

But if Pixii..or someone else decides to take a % of those meager sales..well..

I hear a coronet playing Taps..on a distant hill..for the M.

Edited by tsleica