No video with M11 - this is expected in 2022, right?

mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is how I see it. Leica M240 put the video button next to the shutter, people kept hitting it and it made a mess, people got upset and annoyed with it. 
If Leica had a dedicated Video menu where that button wouldn't have worked when in Photo mode I bet no one would have ever complained and we would still have video in Leica M. 
Unfortunately, Leica M's initial interpretation/implementation of Video was what it was and here we are. 
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make a point in which M is better as a cine camera than a photo camera. However, in these days when video plays a big role in reportage, not having it as an option in M camera is, ah.... 

Edited by mirekti
  • Like 2

My sense is that most Leica M users don't want to pay for video features.  If they added video than they would need certain features to satisfy the video crowd.  Some of these features will need compromises from the photo side.  The majority of M users use the M for photography and those that need video will purchase a different camera with video features.  

Adding video to the m11 without any other additions would be next to useless.  You would at minimum need to add a mic to pick up sound, a line in for an external mic, etc.  This would bulk the camera up a lot as well as add costs that pure photographers don't want/need.

The only thing I want added to the m11 is IBIS and an EVF option over the rangefinder.  I don't want a SL though.  Keep the body the same first, and if you can add EVF and IBIS go for it.  If you can't, keep it pure and let those who need those other features buy a SL instead.

• Like 1

@mirekti  Leica paid homage to the cinema industry with a special edition M10 complete with gold lens and PL mount adapter, that's the end of their  M involvement.  

You make a valid point, why not have the capabilities, who would it hurt.  The M10 had a diminished battery capacity, smaller body, heating issues, I'm going to speculate the decision was  technical first rather than a change in direction.  After setting my M10-P to continuous intervalometer it would heat up substantially, the video would do the same if present, Leica had no choice.   

The M11?  Sales were not an issue for Leica with the M10, why bother with the M11?  Conjecture.  

45 minutes ago, M Journey said:

My sense is that most Leica M users don't want to pay for video features.  If they added video than they would need certain features to satisfy the video crowd.  Some of these features will need compromises from the photo side.  The majority of M users use the M for photography and those that need video will purchase a different camera with video features.  

Adding video to the m11 without any other additions would be next to useless.  You would at minimum need to add a mic to pick up sound, a line in for an external mic, etc.  This would bulk the camera up a lot as well as add costs that pure photographers don't want/need.

The only thing I want added to the m11 is IBIS and an EVF option over the rangefinder.  I don't want a SL though.  Keep the body the same first, and if you can add EVF and IBIS go for it.  If you can't, keep it pure and let those who need those other features buy a SL instead.M11

I am quite pleased that the M11 does not have video. 

I think the vast majority of M photographers are committed to still photography and do not want or need video capability in the M11.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Video is important for parents.  I have to complement an M with a Q2 or SL2 on road trips.  I have to use the iPhone for video if I only have an M on me when out with the kids.  Modern video with M lenses is a blast.  I have the M246 and when it turned out it has B+W video that became the quirkiest thing ever to do with an M.  I even got a stereo adapter for it.  And I asked @Overgaard to record his signature opening on it!  Probably the only B+W video rangefinder — until perhaps M11M?;)

• Like 6

M240 was at the time 4K was not as biggy as now. Now with 4K and even 8K even Sony and else are having problems with FF sensors overheating if it is long taken video. Leica is not going to do it well with M.

Nor it will make anything significantly different and phone for video. No image stabilization. But phones have AF, at least. And build in software to edit and share.

And lets be honest, nobody is going to use M11 for real reportage. They will make another special version called as reporter and it will be sold to collectors.   

• Like 2

As someone who shoots video professionally, I am so glad it does not have video. It distracts from the primary purpose of the rangefinder and that is to shoot stills in an extremely minimalistic/inspiring way. Without IBIS, it would actually be a horrifically wobbly mess. Video on the SL series makes way more sense and already looks great. However, I am still waiting for the return of the Leicina Special. 😉

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Lack of video is the only reason I havent bought the M yet..

Doesnt need to be pro video..w/ibis etc..as M is fine w/o ibis..just include video..no need to cripple the cam in this digital age..

If you want steady..put it on pod..or a beer bottle..lol..

Would be great to have a rangefinder that shoots vids..the only one on the planet..

Dont put a time limit on vid length..just include for those that want a simple camera to set up and forget on tripod..or in hand..and have some fun..

And pull 4K frames out of it all day long for the best shot..if you need..

I did this on my Pany S5 for the holidays..worked out great..just print em up on lil Canon Selphy and give to friends and family..

A no brainer really..

M is not strictly a pro cam..esp these days..even though some use it that way..

..its a fun cam..

Thats why people buy it..

So make it funner..do video..

And if necessary..have a removable mic..and make some more bux from the extra sale..

Come on Leica..you will make more sales..if you have video..

Who wants to buy the SL as well as an M..

Not me..

If M had video..I would buy..

No video..no sale..

Edited by tsleica
  • Like 2

I hope Leica will NEVER put video in an M camera. Want to shoot video? Get a camera that does that, or use the iPhone, don’t try to make the M lineup become this boring mirrorless camera that pleases every single person who want XYZ feature. M should be focused on the essentials of photography, that’s why people love the M. For those who want all the technology in a camera, get the SL, or go with Sony, Nikon, Canon, etc, there are a lot of options out there and they all do pretty much the same thing. Let’s keep the M lineup in the special niche it has, focused on the purest form of photography and photography alone. A rangefinder window, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, that’s all we need from an M. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Am 18.1.2022 um 01:16 schrieb mirekti:

This is how I see it. Leica M240 put the video button next to the shutter, people kept hitting it and it made a mess, people got upset and annoyed with it. 
If Leica had a dedicated Video menu where that button wouldn't have worked when in Photo mode I bet no one would have ever complained and we would still have video in Leica M. 
Unfortunately, Leica M's initial interpretation/implementation of Video was what it was and here we are. 
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make a point in which M is better as a cine camera than a photo camera. However, in these days when video plays a big role in reportage, not having it as an option in M camera is, ah.... 

I also would like to have the video option. And the fact, that it is said the M11 doesnt heat up as much/fast, should also help. And the function button on the top could be configured to be used for this (as an option). I agree, that is more a photo camera - but I would still really really like to have the option. it helps for reportage things, also for people like me who use the camera for personal things, including vacation and also familily events. Add software stabilisation and I pay extra for the option ;)