No video with M11 - this is expected in 2022, right?

mirekti

20 minutes ago, satijntje said:

I like that the M11 has no video.
If I want to make a  video, I take my iPhone!
It avoids possible problems with overheating.
Leica has listened to their  clients for this!

Right, but I wrote you why i think this has happened.

What problems with overheating if you don’t use video? I never said it needs to be a cine camera with tons of video features.

51 minutes ago, Gobert said:

Please no video in our M’s.

if video is wanted, buy a Sony or Canon.

I am perplexed why it would bother you having video on M. You photos wouldn’t get any worse than they are now.

Edited by mirekti
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Al Brown said:

SL system: video
M system: no video.

This is the way.

Except, you know, when Leica was selling tens of thousands of M240-series cameras and proclaiming that a multifunctional, modular M was the future.

Ironically, by virtue of continuous OTS metering and LiveView, the M11 is effectively a video camera from which you are making stills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, tsleica said:

M is not strictly a pro cam..esp these days..even though some use it that way..

..its a fun cam..

Thats why people buy it..

So make it funner..do video..

And if necessary..have a removable mic..and make some more bux from the extra sale..

So true!  When I discovered, by accident, that M246 does rangefinder video, black and white at that, it became so much fun!  Now I have to keep all the Monochroms ever made because of the unique features of each -- the CCD for M9M (and the only silver monochrom), rangefinder b&w video for M246, and M10 chassis for M10M. 

For now I'm forced to pack Q2 or SL2 for video.  The SL2 adds a great video feature, stabilization via IBIS, that really adds value.

Really well put, @tsleica.  M is a fun camera.  A simple video capability would add to the fun.  You don't have to use it if you don't need it.  No need to be a purist and deny it to others.

3 hours ago, mirekti said:

It avoids possible problems with overheating.
Leica has listened to their  clients for this!

There reviews show M11 does not overheat.  Given it's in LiveView mode all the time, it's probably a harbinger of the ability to record the feed as well.  Of course the memory consumption of continuous recording needs to be considered...

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, setuporg said:

the CCD for M9M (and the only silver monochrom)

There actually was a silver chrome 246 variant (I missed out on a copy a while ago...) the Kyoto Edition with green leather - but only 10 made.

Making do with my silver chrome M9M 😀

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mirekti said:

I am perplexed why it would bother you having video on M. You photos wouldn’t get any worse than they are now.

A distinct joy of using the M-A is that there is absolutely no possibility of video because the camera is devoid of electrical wires, batteries, or any other unnecessary accoutrements such as a light meter. And the "sensor" is automatically replaced after each shot by a smooth and satisfying movement of the lever. 

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica is great at selling the myth..as the rare..and mythical.. purist cam..the Unicorn.."Unicam"

Only seen once every decade or two..on a sacred mountain in the Himalayas..

Video aint gonna change that..

Esp if they hide it in the menu..so the purists..dont get their panties all bunched up..

As Dante said..its already a video cam..

A lil expensive computer/vid cam..you can stick lenses on..that just records 1 video frame at a time..

Leica gets away w/murder this way..lol..

Sells you less..for more...and keep choppin away..as many variables..as they can muster..

So you are forced to schlep around another vid cam system if you actually want to use your Leica lenses..

They probably will never change..as its a very productive business strategy..sell 2 entirely different camera systems..instead of 1..

And.. 2 different sets of lenses as well..

Personally I'm not sure why they are adding all the wifi and apple app stuff etc..to a freekin M cam..why?

That seems a waste to me..but no ones complaining about that..

If I wanted all that stuff..I would be buyin another brand..

If I had it my way..the M would stay pretty the same as usual..except have a flippy screen for video that you can turn around to make it a D model when needed..and so the screen is more protected.

Also..so you are not limited to boring shooting angles..

And also..so they can ditch/discontinue.. that stupidly expensive..and.. ugly Visoflex ...

I think if you are a "purist" just shoot film w/M3 thru M6..thats what I did for years..

Rant over..lol..

Edited by tsleica
  • Haha 1

Well said. At least there are people who feel my pain.

The pain is real..😅

I'm moving away from Leica for some years now...just doesn't make any sense anymore..as a guy that does photo..&...video.

Even other brand lenses have pretty much all caught up now..or are offering more compelling options..at 1/10th the cost..

Leica is a luxury product now. For me..even though I can afford..just makes no sense at all these days.

If the M had video..I would probably buy..but that aint gonna happen..too bad really..as I think this cant last forever..

And will probably end up biting them in the ass for not providing a more viable M option for regular shooters..even with the out of this world pricing.

You either bring a new stream of people into the fold..or you dont..and not doing is a really bad business option.

Truthfully..I hope a Chinese company or similar will bring out their version of an FF M camera soon. I would be the 1st in line to buy.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, AAK said:

A distinct joy of using the M-A is that there is absolutely no possibility of video because the camera is devoid of electrical wires, batteries, or any other unnecessary accoutrements such as a light meter. And the "sensor" is automatically replaced after each shot by a smooth and satisfying movement of the lever. 

Any camera obscura also has no video!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 4:45 PM, tsleica said:

Lack of video is the only reason I havent bought the M yet..

Doesnt need to be pro video..w/ibis etc..as M is fine w/o ibis..just include video..no need to cripple the cam in this digital age..

If you want steady..put it on pod..or a beer bottle..lol..

Would be great to have a rangefinder that shoots vids..the only one on the planet..

Dont put a time limit on vid length..just include for those that want a simple camera to set up and forget on tripod..or in hand..and have some fun..

And pull 4K frames out of it all day long for the best shot..if you need..

I did this on my Pany S5 for the holidays..worked out great..just print em up on lil Canon Selphy and give to friends and family..

A no brainer really..

M is not strictly a pro cam..esp these days..even though some use it that way..

..its a fun cam..

Thats why people buy it..

So make it funner..do video..

And if necessary..have a removable mic..and make some more bux from the extra sale..

Come on Leica..you will make more sales..if you have video..

Who wants to buy the SL as well as an M..

Not me..

If M had video..I would buy..

No video..no sale..

I’m just the opposite - includes video = NO BUY.  And I’m a parent and grandparent.  I have an iPhone for the level of video I do.  But, my M camera is my capture device for thought and contemplation.  Maybe it’s a carryover of film days where my primary camera was an MP.  I’ve never done anything with video but watch the clips and chuckle at how cute our grand daughter has gotten.  Just different mind sets.  Thank goodness Leica has the ability to satisfy both types.

• Like 1

If video were to reappear it would probably be in an EVF base camera. Not an M but a mirrorless camera with an M mount. It makes more sense. In the meantime the rather excellent Panasonic S5 with a L to M adaptor should work just fine.

Personally I think cameras like the insta 360 Go2 and X2 are more fun for casual video. I see little point of video in an M. All it'll do start thousand of threads asking for IBIS and a flippy screen. Or page upon page whinging about codecs.  Some genius will want an AF adaptor. The whinning about the M11 is bad enough. So far the M11 board here is a pretty bleak place to visit.

Gordon

p.s. And just because a camera doesn't overheat in live view does not mean it's fine for video shooting Just ask the Canon R5.

• Haha 1

Dr. Andreas Kaufman, in a you-tube video, on one of the Leica channels, said that the M10 was too thin to have video capability, due to overheating issues. If I remember correctly, it was an episode in which Dr. Kaufman was interviewing Ralph Gibson. Well, technology may have advanced, since that video was made, but, the M11 is as slender as the M10.  

Personally, my iPhones 11 Pro Max and 12 Pro are my video cameras. Before these, it was iphones 7 Pro. I have not wanted video capability, in my M10. My Type 246 Monochrom has video capability, but I have not used it. I still use DSLRs, and do not use them for video, since an experimental few seconds, with a Canon 7D, that I used from 2010 to 2014. I cannot foresee wanting video, if/when I acquire an M11.

• Like 2

Truthfully..

Years ago..someone demo-ed their brand new i-phone for me..

This was way before I caved in and bought a cell phone..back in the day..

She was an artist..and I have to admit..that lil i-phone..took wonderful shots...esp in macro..

So using this same mind set..

It would be great for photo too..

As in..

You dont need a full 20K+ Leica system for family shots etc..

All you really need is an i-phone..using that same logic.

I think that some people that want an M are probably a bit older..and have the cash ready..the kids are all gone..maybe they owned a film M in youth..and nostalgia is the motive..

..and video is not a part of their mind set.

So why not just use your phone for pics..?

Why spend that kind of dough on a Leica? ...ie..thats probably not gonna be used in any kind of professional capacity.

Is it just the name on the front?

Or simply pride of ownership?

Why is having video in an M such a big deal?

As you will be able to take family vids using your great Leica lenses too.

I simply dont understand the logic here..

I have a bunch of Sony and Panny vid cameras as I use them regularly for what I do...and a Sigma FP.

None of them overheat..not ever..so this issue is pretty much moot nowadays..unless you shoot in the noon sun for hours..

But I would like a Rangefinder that did video too..

Even for the occasional wife/family and kitty cat vids..

I've been waiting for years for someone other than Leica to make a digital rangefinder..

I thought Fuji was going to do it eventually..as they have the know how..but they didnt..

Pixii has produced an M mount rangefinder for $2500-..but still no video..

Still waiting..

But..I'm not holding my breath.

Now if Sigma found a way to do it..in that lil powerful FP body..

Could be a dream come true.

Edited by tsleica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So in addition to EFCS, hopefully the P will have video.:)

Never..ever...NEVER...EVER..EVER...EVAEVAEVER...

Sayest the Leica aficionados..lol..

And Leica ..listens..

Then the Chinese M camera comes out..

Basically a Sony or Panny cam w/rangefinder..

At starting price..$2500-

Or even at $3K to $4K..

Leica M dies..right then and there.

Edited by tsleica

2 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

If video were to reappear it would probably be in an EVF base camera. Not an M but a mirrorless camera with an M mount. It makes more sense. In the meantime the rather excellent Panasonic S5 with a L to M adaptor should work just fine.

Personally I think cameras like the insta 360 Go2 and X2 are more fun for casual video. I see little point of video in an M. All it'll do start thousand of threads asking for IBIS and a flippy screen. Or page upon page whinging about codecs.  Some genius will want an AF adaptor. The whinning about the M11 is bad enough. So far the M11 board here is a pretty bleak place to visit.

Gordon

p.s. And just because a camera doesn't overheat in live view does not mean it's fine for video shooting Just ask the Canon R5.

I have an Insta One R, with the Leica 1” and 360° lenses - it’s a blast.

• Like 2

Buttons, heating, opinions, video, blah, blah blah.

Here's the 2017 poll on who would NOT buy the M10 because it lacked video.

Results - less than 1% cared enough about video to reject the M10.

0.75% is not a market - it is a rounding error. Expendable.

That is why Leica won't waste any more time on video in the M system. They can read numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/18/2022 at 2:32 PM, 91ststudios said:

As someone who shoots video professionally, I am so glad it does not have video. It distracts from the primary purpose of the rangefinder and that is to shoot stills in an extremely minimalistic/inspiring way. Without IBIS, it would actually be a horrifically wobbly mess. Video on the SL series makes way more sense and already looks great. However, I am still waiting for the return of the Leicina Special. 😉

And as someone else who shoots video professionally, a high quality video mode in a M body would be very welcome to me. I love the handling and size of M cameras but find it annoying to have to bring a second or different camera to shoot video. Granted, I haven't shot video with the M240, and unstabilized handheld video is balls, but having the option would be useful in a pinch.

When I want high quality stills and video, I use the Panasonic S5, often with M mount lenses. Footage recorded in 10bit 422 C4K or 4k 50p with the Summicron 50 or Zeiss Distagon 35 verges on magic. But it would still be nice to have this option in a M body, as I prefer that photographic experience over the S5.

• Thanks 1