No video with M11 - this is expected in 2022, right?

mirekti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Jewl said:

I would never use the video feature of an M body. I have never used it when I had a Leica Q. Obviously, I am not a video person and I do believe I am the perfect target group of an M which is a very special tool and not a all-round talent like other digital cameras on the market.

If I'd like to take a video, I prefered to use one of the latest iPhones or probably a Sony camera. Cannot imagine what a hassle it would be to shoot a proper film with my M11.  

I'm certainly not a Video person at all, but I do use the video occasionally when traveling. In fact I moved away from the M as my travel companion after forty years because Leica dropped the Video. I still love shooting a rangefinder at home, but for travel there is other gear. Before the M240 I took a Canon videocamera and I am happy that it is gathering dust now. 

• Like 4

Ms are unique tools, which many people do not understand, we are used to be criticised and ridiculed for the high costs associated to these items, lack of features, the fact that some are not even digital units, 2022... and film... for whopping 4500 pounds! "ha ha" would write many.

and yet we are here, happy to enjoy our diverse perspective on the world. the unique happiness that the right tool can give to their operators.

BUT despite all  of this, we lack the wisdom of accepting other viewpoints: if one accepts Ms as they are, we accept high price, rangefinders, manual operations and all other unusual characteristics, what is the issue of accepting that for some a single camera to carry around with small body, small lenses, which allows to enjoy photography, could offer more with the option to take a short video when and if needed.

1 button, nothing more nothing less/ or an adapter. all remain the same. like the 240.

and BTW, phones are not that good for video, lenses are not the same, the 'experience' is not the same, etc etc etc etc.   otherwise same could be said about cameras, why bother, phones can do it all?

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, geotrupede said:

Ms are unique tools, which many people do not understand, we are used to be criticised and ridiculed for the high costs associated to these items, lack of features, the fact that some are not even digital units, 2022... and film... for whopping 4500 pounds! "ha ha" would write many.

and yet we are here, happy to enjoy our diverse perspective on the world. the unique happiness that the right tool can give to their operators.

BUT despite all  of this, we lack the wisdom of accepting other viewpoints: if one accepts Ms as they are, we accept high price, rangefinders, manual operations and all other unusual characteristics, what is the issue of accepting that for some a single camera to carry around with small body, small lenses, which allows to enjoy photography, could offer more with the option to take a short video when and if needed.

1 button, nothing more nothing less/ or an adapter. all remain the same. like the 240.

and BTW, phones are not that good for video, lenses are not the same, the 'experience' is not the same, etc etc etc etc.   otherwise same could be said about cameras, why bother, phones can do it all?

Do you want real video or occasional video? For the former, an M will never be sufficient, for the latter, sorry but an Iphone 14 Pro will be enough. And the idea that it’s just a button is hmm, odd. Do you want a thicker body or not? M shooters have resoundly said “No”. Leica went with what the customers want. Might not suit you, but I am not sure why you think your occasional video itch should trump the overwhelming majority of M shooters. Same thing with IBIS. Sure I want in the same form and size factors video, IBIS, rangefinder, and EVF, and … but that’s just (at least currently) not physically possible. Life is made up of choices and I choose the M partly because of the size, so anything that adds to it I am against.

not to be disrespectful but a phone is much slimmer than a camera, suggesting video should not attract significant increment in size and BTW the M11 is using live view all the time anyway. one would just need to route the video output to an external recorder and let that do the hefty compression work.

G

Well, there are considerations why any M smaller than a 240 cannot do video - which would not even need an extra button, just a menu setting like the CL. I am sure that Leica will reintroduce video on the M as soon as technically possible. They are losing potential customers especially new entrants into the system because of the lack. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geotrupede said:

...what is the issue of accepting that for some a single camera to carry around with small body, small lenses, which allows to enjoy photography, could offer more with the option to take a short video when and if needed...

There is a thread specifically tailored for people to showcase video clips which have been shot with M bodies that have this feature in the dedicated M240 / M262 subforum. In the two-and-a-half years since it was started in July 2020 it contains a total of 32 posts only 12 of which actually contain a video-clip. An average of 5 clips per year posted in the Leica Forum could be an indication that perhaps M users, in the main, don't consider the ability to shoot video clips terribly useful.

I know that the lack of video is seen to be a drawback for a few part-time / occasional / dedicated videographers but I suspect that there might be some pragmatism behind Leica's apparent stance in this regard - at least for the time being.

Philip.

1 hour ago, Studienkamera said:

I would not buy an M camera with video. There are obviously others like me. They might win some newbies but lose some loyal customers along the way. Not an easy decision for Leica.

I bet you would, the same way people bought M240.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

They might win some newbies

The ability to purchase a camera has nothing to do with experience in photography. A camera is jus a tool... 

As for winning some newbies, good if true as the user base need to renew itself, once we are all old and gone who is going to buy leicas if not those newbies.

6 hours ago, pippy said:

An average of 5 clips per year posted in the Leica Forum could be an indication that perhaps M users, in the main, don't consider the ability to shoot video clips terribly useful.

This is evidence for sure, however one could argue that not all images and videos are taken to be on the forum, especially if these are private family clips.  But true, to date the M is not SL for sure. 

G.

vor einer Stunde schrieb geotrupede:

[...] A camera is jus a tool... [...]

In my opinion this statement is right and wrong at the same time - especially if we take a look at Leica. Of course, a camera is just a tool, but if this would be the only truth Leica would be history for a long time now and we all would use Sony cameras - they are perfect but soulless tools. A Leica M on the other hand is much more, a statement, a piece of art, a technologically imperfect but joyful to use camera, a hand charm, a historic icon - name it you get it.

A Sony camera is about getting a photo or a video in the technically most advanced way, a Leica M camera is about the very personal experience of taking photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2022 at 10:54 PM, Photoworks said:

It is crazy to think the M6 has no video in 2022,. it would be great to load a lilm, get 35mm movie going and film lut preview! and all that with out the need of battery...

Well if you shoot and reload quickly enough you may be able to get 12fs on the M6, just need to get audio sync in post.

Be aware that Dr Paul Wolff always carried a film movie camera next to his iiif. It is even rumored that some of his famous skiing photographs were stills pulled from his film (fake rumours I’m sure 😉)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jaapv said:

Be aware that Dr Paul Wolff always carried a film movie camera next to his iiif. It is even rumored that some of his famous skiing photographs were stills pulled from his film (fake rumours I’m sure 😉)

...I think I now finally understand what it means to add fuel to the fire.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Knipsknecht said:

In my opinion this statement is right and wrong at the same time - especially if we take a look at Leica. Of course, a camera is just a tool, but if this would be the only truth Leica would be history for a long time now and we all would use Sony cameras - they are perfect but soulless tools. A Leica M on the other hand is much more, a statement, a piece of art, a technologically imperfect but joyful to use camera, a hand charm, a historic icon - name it you get it.

A Sony camera is about getting a photo or a video in the technically most advanced way, a Leica M camera is about the very personal experience of taking photos.

The intangible that you call the "soul" of a tool is part of its usability.

18 minutes ago, Farrell Gallery said:

Who the F buys a Leica (particularly an M) if video is the biggest concern? 

Well, I’d rather travel with one body less, but your miles might vary.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mirekti said:

...I think I now finally understand what it means to add fuel to the fire.

M acts like a dedicated server that serves you well for photography.

If you're taking video seriously, Red Camera or Arri Alexa are fine, but they are not for the consumer market.

And, if you're looking for multipurpose(multimedia) equipment, the iPhone or similarity(GoPro, DJI) will serve you well which comes with iOS or so.

If you're looking for a compromise solution here, SL2s, Q2 amd Q2M might fit your needs, but it's a bit bulky when compared with smartphones.

Edited by Erato

17 hours ago, Erato said:

M acts like a dedicated server that serves you well for photography.

If you're taking video seriously, Red Camera or Arri Alexa are fine, but they are not for the consumer market.

And, if you're looking for multipurpose(multimedia) equipment, the iPhone or similarity(GoPro, DJI) will serve you well which comes with iOS or so.

If you're looking for a compromise solution here, SL2s, Q2 amd Q2M might fit your needs, but it's a bit bulky when compared with smartphones.

I'm with you here 100%

If the M is going to do video, I want it to have all the fancy specs that the video centric cameras have. I dont want an M that does video that's only good for sending noctilux  bokeh images of junior eating an ice cream cone to grandma.

• Like 1