On the road again - Robb's Leica Adventures

robb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wide open.  Hot and humid off the Gulf of Mexico.  

Landscape Architect on a boat in Grand Liard Marsh, Louisiana- Leica SL2-S with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 100, 1/16,000th sec at f 1.0

Robb

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Patrickfoley@mac.com said:

Loving this thread Robb. Please keep going!

Would love to hear your views on the 90-280 L. I had one, but sold it to get a lighter alternative (it is a beast of a lens). But I really miss it and am tempted to buy one again.   

Yeah, I think most people have a 70-200 with their cameras and the Leica lens is better than those.  I don’t use the 90-280 as often unless I am doing a lot of outdoor work like at a new park, aviation, or other transportation type project.  But I think it is crazy sharp and worth the weight when it fits that type of shooting.

I think the 24-90 is so versatile that many times I can just leave the 90-280 and simplify…

because the sl2 cameras don’t really excel at af-c, you could easily just use an adapted canon 70-200 and shoot af-s and get nice results also.  But I’m a fan of all the other features and benefits using the Leica SL lens.  The IS is very good also.

Robb

• Thanks 1

I should also update the group that I am at 1 year on my sl2 and over 30k images.  More on the sl2-s.  No issues.  So I think the cameras are built to shoot all you give them.  
knock on wood, I know… lol

Robb

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up selling my Zeiss ZM 35 1.4

I did not feel like it was going to get much use given how good the SL 35 apo is…

So I’ll put that money toward something else that I can use regularly.  I’m sure we all go through some gear turnover.  Ha!
Robb

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Was photographing some parts of the new convention center for the architects and liked this view while going back and forth.  M lenses on the SL bodies are a great combo.

Monorail in Las Vegas, Nevada - Leica SL2 with M APO 90mm Summicron asph, iso 100, 1/200th sec at f 5.6 with heliopan circular polarizer

Robb

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

For an alumni feature for a University.  Hadn't really shot wide open with lights until now.  AFs mode.  The setup did not let me down...

Former Anesthesiologist and now Comedian in Chandler, Arizona - Leica SL2 with APO Summicron SL 75mm Asph, iso 50, 1/250th at f 2.0, Profoto Acute 600B, Elinchrom Octa Softbox, Pocket-wizard multimax.

Robb

• Like 9

Alternate location and outfit in a coffee shop where she also performs.  Crazy slow shutter speed handheld.  I love ibis.

Former Anesthesiologist and now Comedian in Mesa, Arizona - Leica SL2 with APO Summicron SL 75mm Asph, iso 100, 1/10th at f 5.6  Profoto Acute 600B, Elinchrom Octa Softbox, Pocket-wizard multimax.

Robb

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

He was a NY Jets fan... so I was talking about his team doing well this season and he lit up.  Great lens.

Project manager in Jersey City, New Jersey - Leica SL2 with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 200, 1/60th sec at f 1.0

Robb

• Like 9

Amazing colors from the neon.  I didn't overdo the saturation at all.  Pretty straight forward.  I thought I shot this wide open but can't remember.  The exif data said 3.4... Really nice lens on the SL2 that's pretty compact.

Path Train escalators in Jersey City, New Jersey - Leica SL2 with M 28mm Summicron asph, iso 800, 1/60th sec at f 3.4

Robb

• Like 11

I loved the separation of all the players...

Path Station platform in Jersey City, New Jersey - Leica SL2 with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 320, 1/60th sec at f 1.0

Robb

• Like 8

I am planning on adding an S3 end of the year for some portrait projects with strobes and two new SL lenses.

Looking for an apo 50 SL and an apo 90 SL 

I’d like to trade two of my M lenses for the above or S lenses - 35 CS, 45 CS, 70 CS, 120 CS plus any dollar differences.

28 summicron and 90 apo summicron mint in boxes.  28 has warranty for a year or so left.  I’ll post an ad up but thought I would find some takers here first.  Happy to send more info and meet up in the US as I am regularly on the road.  Send me a pm.  Thanks.

Robb

I was in New York for a week and was photographing a new park as one of my assignments.  I did so from the air and on the ground.

But I must say it was pretty comical to try to make nice sports photos of (pretty slow) flag football teenagers with AFc on my sl2.  I know we have all said it numerous times and I have tried numerous times - that this camera simply cannot do it.  I photographed sports at the highest levels while a wire service PJ.  I gotta say I would rather shoot film with the original eos 1 from like 1989 than shoot any afc with an sl2… lol  That being said, I don’t really shoot sports anymore and enjoy the amazing things the SL2 excels at.

I’ll try some different methods but would have a better hit rate with manual focus.
Anyway… just thought you all would like a laugh for your weekend.  And for any of those uninitiated, just delete afc from your possible choices…

Robb

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Working with the sl2-s last couple days with a client I’ve had for 25 years.

they say to me, “Are you using a new camera?”  
Yes I said, “added them about 12 months ago heading toward some newer tech and optics.”

cool they said.  “Colors look amazing…so rich and clear.”

so

That’s a win…

Robb

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My new SL 90 summicron arrived today.  Will try to shoot with it tomorrow.

Wondering if I should also still keep my m lenses for more options… was going to move them on in favor of adding more SL and S lenses… 

but who doesn’t like M lenses.  Ha ha.  I guess we all struggle on what to keep, what to use, and what to trade toward other stuff… since dollars are generally finite.  But, lot of good memories with my M lenses.  Just that the SL lenses are now doing a lot more in pretty much every category.  We’ll see.

Robb

• Like 3