On the road again - Robb's Leica Adventures

robb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really nice right out of the can...

Baha Mar Resort in Nassau, Bahamas - Leica SL2 with VE SL 24-90 asph, 32mm,  iso 320, 1/125th sec at f 8.0, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to shoot a bit with the 1.0 Nokton.  Hard to nail focus for me even with the SL2 viewfinder and zooming in.  Seemed easier to use than the SL Summilux 50 though for some reason.  Maybe because the Nokton weighed less, was more compact, and had the right throw.  I'll have to use it more So I can get the kinks out of my eyes...  If the light is there, I'd probably grab an SL Summicron which would be easier to use quickly.  A little CA is there in the Nokton but seems easy to fix.  Bokeh seemed great to me.   

Estimator in Training in Glendale, Arizona - Leica SL2 with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 160, 1/125th sec at f 1.0

Robb

I also tried the Nokton wide open with some non-portraits.  Highlight bokeh seemed good - I liked the out of focus shapes on the water.  

Beachgoers at Lake Tahoe, Nevada - Leica SL2 with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 50, 1/6400th sec at f 1.0

Robb

12 hours ago, robb said:

Beachgoers at Lake Tahoe, Nevada - Leica SL2 with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 50, 1/6400th sec at f 1.0

This is how to leverage super speeds. I'm not fond of mushy close-ups at F 1.4 or even f 1.0. But long shots can gain a lot when shot wide open. Thanks for the great example!!

I have a number of projects to photograph in Georgia and South Carolina these next two weeks so I called up my friend Steve Hendrix to grab some lunch.  I think we have been friends about 20 years.  We always have a lot to share in talking shop.  The 50 has a great working distance across a table and it is definitely easier to line up a background in tighter confines than the longer 75mm.  And it has no real proportion exaggeration of the 35 focal length.  So I definitely enjoy the 50 in the bag.  Very nice background AND "front" bokeh can be seen here.  I like the effect.  Not sure a 50 summicron could have done this but an SL summicron would definitely had more in focus around the eyes.  This Nokton has crazy thin depth - seemed like 2 mm.... at the eyes.

Bar-B-Q Lunch in Atlanta, Georgia - Leica SL2-s with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 1600, 1/320th sec at f 1.0

Robb

• 2 weeks later...

Weekend downtime in downtown Atlanta... 

Pemberton Place Green in Atlanta, Georgia - Leica SL2 with APO- VE SL 90-280, 97mm,  iso 320, 1/125th sec at f 5.6, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Didn't bring the tilt shifts on this outing trying to travel light so corrected the perspective in post.

National Center for Civil and Human Rights in Atlanta, Georgia - Leica SL2 with VE SL 24-90 asph, 24mm,  iso 100, 1/200th sec at f 5.6, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

Pedestrian Bridge to the new Braves Baseball Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia - Leica SL2 with APO- VE SL 90-280, 169mm,  iso 160, 1/125th sec at f 8.0, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

I liked this angle and waited in the spot for 30 minutes for the nearby school to let out for more activity and to get a rider in this spot...

Dedicated Bike Lanes in Decatur, Georgia - Leica SL2 with APO- VE SL 90-280, 90mm,  iso 400, 1/160th sec at f 5.6, heliopan circular polarizer.

Robb

You have a very distinct, consistent look, Robb. Clean, orderly, vibrant, almost staged. Your work showcases Leica very well (the Leica-esk foliage green, the sky blue). You probably know Edward Hopper. Images of everyday life in strong colours. Everyone is detached, kind of waiting for Godot, a feel that creates his authentic stagings. If I were a street photographer, his work would be quite influential. 

On 10/30/2021 at 7:45 PM, robb said:

I hope that answers some questions.  Exciting times for all of us.

Robb

Yes it did ! 

nice collection of cameras. kind of resembles some of my journey. I do much more filming than shooting but I also studied 

photography. And the joy this new Leica cameras gives is just amazing. 

I went all the way back to the Leica M3 and combined it with Sl2S and Q2

And if they get this autofocus from contrast to phase detect then these machines will have no competition because of the lenses. 

What I find the most fun is to combine the camera (sl2s) with old lenses and special purpose lenses. 

I used it in the winter with a TS from canon (45 mm 2.8) and this is not a very good lens. But the images, they are so beautiful.

I can´t explain it. 

So rock on Robb ! 

thanx Peter 

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Leica app on my iPhone to trigger this image so I could capture myself in this scene.  This was an extra interior area that I saw and liked after I checked all of the other shots off the list.  All of the staff had left, so in order to add scale and interest, I was the only one there...  I like using the app on the iPhone as a remote trigger for sure.  

Architectural Interior with Self Portrait in Dallas, Texas - Leica SL2 with Sigma Adapter MC-21, EF 24mm 3.5 L II Tilt Shift, iso 200, .8 sec at f 11.0 on tripod with Heliopan Circular Polarizer using Leica app on iPhone for remote trigger.

Robb

15 minutes ago, myuen888 said:

Hi Robb,

Did you say you have a Canon 35 f1.4 L2? Can you do a comparison between the Canon and the SL35?

-Mike

Mike,

I did have the 35 1.4 mk ii canon but sold it along with the 85 1.4 in getting cash together for the Leica additions.  I added the Zeiss 35 1.4 also

The Canon is a great lens but my experience tells me the SL 35 blows it out of the water x 10…

Robb

Flying to Hawaii for some R&R.  But I did pack the sl2-s and the 50mm 1.0 Nokton to shoot one lens only for the week in B&W.  Should be fun…

Robb

Posted (edited)

The dad was pulling the daughter up and throwing her off the wall toward the beach.  The waves were crashing and then running off the concrete.  The son was snorkeling and wanted to come hang out as well... Only the family trio is in focus.  The whole rest of the photo fades out very quickly behind them.  Not sure if most would prefer the whole image to be in focus or not.   I'm torn but I think the composition at f8 would have been equally interesting.  But I only wanted to shoot the whole day wide open at f1.0. I love shooting with the SL2-s equally as much as SL2.  To me they are really the same except for the file size for most uses.  I might regret the smaller file though if printing for an exhibit.  I haven't really needed the high iso benefit of SL2-s yet but I guess it's really nice to have if you need it.  I'm not sure I will ever need it for outdoor scenes even at night unless I'm doing video as well.  It's main use to me is for indoor events and conferences.

Family on Sea Wall in Waikiki, Hawaii - Leica SL2-S with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 100, 1/4000th sec at f 1.0

Robb

Edited by robb

Close to minimum focussing distance.  Maybe 1 meter I think.

Nephew with Pineapple Ice Cream at the Dole Plantation in Wahiawa, Hawaii - Leica SL2-S with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 100, 1/2000th sec at f 1.0

Robb

Love the lens but still a bit slow to use to nail focus exactly since you only have a mm or so at closer distances...  But I guess I'm not using the lens to break any speed records.

Wife Sitting at Waterfall in Waikiki, Hawaii - Leica SL2-S with Voigtländer Nokton VM 50mm 1.0 Aspherical MC, iso 100, 1/160th sec at f 1.0

Robb

I will say that I really like the compact size of the nokton 1.0 (for a typ dslr / mirrorless)

while I could add an SL 50 1.4, I’m not sure it would be with me as easily because of its size and weight.

I’ll try stopping down the nokton to shoot some at 1.4 and see if that adds a little extra depth and how tge look compares to SL summilux.

the nokton isn’t super fast to use because of fine focusing to get it right (zooming in the viewfinder) but I think I’d do the same with the SL 1.4 so it would seem the SL would add the weatherproofing and quicker lens ident working with the camera, but I’m not sure it’s AF is really much an improvement since you’ll likely fine focus and zoom in with it at 1.4 anyway

An m lens / nokton seems to be a great add to the pair of SL zooms to keep added weight / mass down and still get fast aperture’s with a different look.  To me sharpness wide open is important and the nokton succeeds in this.  But f1.0 for portrait distances may just leave too much out of focus… 1.4 may be better solution.
Robb

vor 21 Stunden schrieb robb:

I will say that I really like the compact size of the nokton 1.0 (for a typ dslr / mirrorless)

while I could add an SL 50 1.4, I’m not sure it would be with me as easily because of its size and weight.

I’ll try stopping down the nokton to shoot some at 1.4 and see if that adds a little extra depth and how tge look compares to SL summilux.

the nokton isn’t super fast to use because of fine focusing to get it right (zooming in the viewfinder) but I think I’d do the same with the SL 1.4 so it would seem the SL would add the weatherproofing and quicker lens ident working with the camera, but I’m not sure it’s AF is really much an improvement since you’ll likely fine focus and zoom in with it at 1.4 anyway

An m lens / nokton seems to be a great add to the pair of SL zooms to keep added weight / mass down and still get fast aperture’s with a different look.  To me sharpness wide open is important and the nokton succeeds in this.  But f1.0 for portrait distances may just leave too much out of focus… 1.4 may be better solution.
Robb

You listed all the reasons why I opted for the Summilux 50 BC... Small, beautiful lens and in my opinion easier to focus (more smoothly) than the standard version. And I really like the painterly bokeh and general look created by this lens.