I ordered the m10-r black paint

JimmyCheng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/26/2021 at 2:53 AM, RMF said:

I love ‘ brassed out’ M cameras and it’s the reason why I preordered this new BP M10R. For the artificial aging of them, we should perhaps use the term ‘relic’ or ‘relicing’ as it’s very much a popular thing in the guitar world where artificially aged versions go for serious $$$. The Fender Custom Shop itself offers very levels of ‘relicing’ of their custom Strats and Teles http://www.fendercustomshop.com/guitars/stratocaster/

I've got a couple of the Custom Shop Relic's, a Nocaster (Telecaster before it had a name), and a '56 Strat and the work involved makes them look their age. A simple enough statement in the same way a real worn BP M3 looks it's age, or even a early release modern MP can look it's age. But a reliced M10R has no age, it's in no way equivalent to a '56 Strat that is a perfect replica in every respect to the original. All you have is a prematurely worn M10R, it's not a relic because there is no history to look back to, there wasn't one even two years ago.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 250swb said:

And unfortunately it looks totally fake. The trouble with trying to fake wear is that people only tend to rub edges in the obvious places and highpoints whereas real wear is far more random and to be believable has to encompass the idea that it could actually be ugly in places. Smooth wear along edges can happen in the areas where fingers are always touching the camera, but along other edges the brassing forms from little bites being taken out of the paint by knocks maybe with another camera or rubbing against a lens in a camera bag, eventually forming a longer area of brassing on an edge. But on an authentically worn body the brass underneath is itself often tarnished with age to a darker colour and is never uniformly polished looking. You see this tarnished brass effect in Leica's Lenny Kravitz Edition, although the rest still looks like fake wear. You can use chemicals to develop brass tarnishing but once again it can look fake if there isn't any randomness to it.

This is why I prefer to let my M cameras develop their patina of wear over time by using them.  I would rather my M camera have no wear or only slight wear than have a patina that makes it look like a contrived impostor.

To each his own, though.  If @JimmyCheng is pleased with the way his camera's patina looks, that is what matters.

As for Leica's Lenny Kravitz Edition, to my eye it was a true masterwork - of grotesque ugliness. 🤮

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

And unfortunately it looks totally fake. The trouble with trying to fake wear is that people only tend to rub edges in the obvious places and highpoints whereas real wear is far more random and to be believable has to encompass the idea that it could actually be ugly in places. Smooth wear along edges can happen in the areas where fingers are always touching the camera, but along other edges the brassing forms from little bites being taken out of the paint by knocks maybe with another camera or rubbing against a lens in a camera bag, eventually forming a longer area of brassing on an edge. But on an authentically worn body the brass underneath is itself often tarnished with age to a darker colour and is never uniformly polished looking. You see this tarnished brass effect in Leica's Lenny Kravitz Edition, although the rest still looks like fake wear. You can use chemicals to develop brass tarnishing but once again it can look fake if there isn't any randomness to it.

Point is, I was not doing it for the sake of mimicking a well-worn camera. I initially just wanted all possible outlines to look golden, with that Tron look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

Not sure why everyone hates it! I like it. 

42 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

This is why I prefer to let my M cameras develop their patina of wear over time by using them.  I would rather my M camera have no wear or only slight wear than have a patina that makes it look like a contrived impostor.

I would love to as well, but the problem is that I don't keep my cameras long enough to brass. If I did though, they would brass quickly, because I bring my camera everywhere with me, even to the toilet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steven said:

I would love to as well, but the problem is that I don't keep my cameras long enough to brass. If I did though, they would brass quickly, because I bring my camera everywhere with me, even to the toilet. 

Steven, you have mentioned a few times already. What pictures do you take in the toilet?

• Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Fedro said:

Steven, you have mentioned a few times already. What pictures do you take in the toilet?

None (because of the 1m MFD). But since I have my camera around my neck even in the house at diner, I might as well bring it to the toilet too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

But the iPhone is what people are supposed to photograph their dinner with. The only way it can be surpassed is if the end result out of their backside is photographed better with a 'well used' Leica M10R.

Edited by 250swb

5 hours ago, Steven said:

Not sure why everyone hates it! I like it. 

I guess. 

There was a guy on the forum many years ago who took on board the idea that the black M9 was BP, and yes it is. But after I suspect first damaging his LCD he proceeded to look like a total tit in rubbing edges and distressing the camera, and then insisting it was all natural wear over his six months of ownership, and it looked worse than any professional use M3 that was 50 years old. His misjudgement was that the paint he was wearing wasn't old style black paint, it is far harder, and nobody else saw the same wear on their M9. Presumably he thought people would think how cool his camera looked, which they didn't, they thought he was a tit. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 250swb said:

I've got a couple of the Custom Shop Relic's, a Nocaster (Telecaster before it had a name), and a '56 Strat...

I'd love to see some pics.

Going Off-Topic for a mo'...

I have a 1995-release '1960 Les Paul Standard Re-issue' and the genuine(!) finish-checking it has developed - for a modern Gibson - is extraordinary. So much so that the luthier who I employed to carry out a fret crown-and-dress (who, himself, owns a vintage '58 ES-175) thought it might be an original......As-If!!!......:lol:......

Philip.

• Like 1

The day before I received my camera, I went out and bought some sandpaper... Here goes nothing haha! 

With how careful I am with my cameras, it would take me 100 - 200 years to patina it! I needs the sandpaper!

8 hours ago, JimmyCheng said:

Point is, I was not doing it for the sake of mimicking a well-worn camera. I initially just wanted all possible outlines to look golden, with that Tron look.

I like it too! I hope to sandpaper mine soon after I do a photoshoot of it.