Firmware 3.1 Q2 now available

i can't find any changelog for v3.1 yet, but i applied the update and first thing i checked was the huge frustration of having my nose activate the size option in the af /field/ mode. i planted my nose solidly onto the screen in this mode and the camera didn't freeze up like it always has in the past.

i can't actually figure out how to change the size of the field now, but the default is much much better than that tiny little + sign i've been forced to use as the workaround.

tks for the notice! the firmware page says leica will notify users of updates, but i haven't gotten any notice. perhaps they're still preparing the docs to accompany it.

[later note: you press and hold the lcd even if you have it turned off for touch and then adjust the field size using the right top thumbwheel. your nose doesn't activate the size adjustment (which locks up the camera until the shutter is half-pressed) because the camera shifts to the evf when your face is close to it. which is now making me wonder why so many of us had problems with this if we had been using the evf auto-shift mode before. oh well, i'm just happy i can now return to using my preferred af mode]

/guy

Edited by gteague

Hi everyone. This is my first post having owned a Q2 for just over a week. The installation instructions for the firmware update states that the update provides a way to manually run pixel mapping to address defective pixels. (The camera will automatically do this every two weeks.) The update also has some advanced settings options for touch AF in EVF mode.

• Like 1

the changelog is now up for the v3.1 update. and indeed it addresses exactly the issue all  us left-eye shooters were having with the field af mode. there is now a setting to turn off touch af focusing while using the evf and the default setting is /off/ which is why i immediately discovered it had solved the problem. it seems that this issue and pixel mapping are the new things in this update. i hope the pixel mapping addition doesn't mean a lot of user are reporting dead pixels that need to be mapped out. 

TOUCH AF IN EVF MODE Touch AF is deactivated by default when EVF is in use to prevent any inadvertent altering of the AF metering field. AF Quick Setting continues to be accessible. This function can also be disabled if that is not wanted (e.g. when focusing with the left eye). Factory setting: Off ▸ Select Focusing in the main menu ▸ Select Touch AF in EVF ▸ Select the desired setting (On, AF Quick Setting only, Off) – On – Positioning of the AF metering field (quick tap) – Accessing the AF Quick Setting (touch and hold) – AF Quick Setting only – Accessing the AF Quick Setting (touch and hold) – Off Note • In this case, you can change the position of the AF metering field by swiping.

/guy

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gteague said:

the changelog is now up for the v3.1 update. and indeed it addresses exactly the issue all  us left-eye shooters were having with the field af mode. there is now a setting to turn off touch af focusing while using the evf and the default setting is /off/ which is why i immediately discovered it had solved the problem. it seems that this issue and pixel mapping are the new things in this update. i hope the pixel mapping addition doesn't mean a lot of user are reporting dead pixels that need to be mapped out. 

/guy

Having deliberately rubbed my nose over the EVF, I can confirm this works! :) I now have to wipe the EVF.

• Haha 2

OK, pixel mapping is nice to have, the “nose” was indeed an issue for me, being a left-eye shooter, so I am semi-happy! My main gripe with the Q2 has not been addressed and that is the BAD implementation of the digital zoom, as it pertains to the “frame-lines” instead of zooming in to fill the frame (like virtually every other camera maker does...). Come on, it can’t be THAT hard and I am not saying that the “heritage” argument should go away; just give us the choice to use whatever we like. As it is, it’s OK at 35, not really good at 50 and virtually unusable at 75. Can we have a poll or something, to bring this to the attention of Leica in a meaningful way, instead of just sending in solitary requests?

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i actually sort of like this 'quirk' of the q2. and i doubt you'll get anyone who loves /m/ cameras to disavow it and the sort of retro or nostalgia factor. indeed my other cameras such as the s1 enlarge the image when i use the 1.4-2.0x tele-converter function, but i've found that at times i've set it to 1.4x and forgotten i set it and shot dozens of images thinking i was back to using full resolution.  i suspect leica could have made the /m/ cameras enlarge the image when another lens was mounted, but evidently the /m/ users found the ability to see 'around' the frame of the current focal length was much more valuable. i do support having options and one to use either method would be fine, but leica usually decides our way or the highway when it comes to adding too many options. it's why you can find something in the menu in seconds instead of minutes with other cameras.

no, i really only had the one major complaint about my q2 and not being able to use the /field/ af was it. so thanks mucho to leica!

/guy

Edited by gteague

While I see your point, I am only asking for choice, so M users will still feel at home, and we common folk will finally be able to use the cameras digital zoom function at 75, because as it is, it looks like a peep hole. Choice is always good, right?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gteague said:

i hope the pixel mapping addition doesn't mean a lot of user are reporting dead pixels that need to be mapped out. 

Every high MP count cameras have such issue. Typically the camera is correcting them directly in jpg and Lightroom will do so for the DNG. 

So you almost never notice it. But it is there and it can get worst with time. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, acg69 said:

OK, pixel mapping is nice to have, the “nose” was indeed an issue for me, being a left-eye shooter, so I am semi-happy! My main gripe with the Q2 has not been addressed and that is the BAD implementation of the digital zoom, as it pertains to the “frame-lines” instead of zooming in to fill the frame (like virtually every other camera maker does...). Come on, it can’t be THAT hard and I am not saying that the “heritage” argument should go away; just give us the choice to use whatever we like. As it is, it’s OK at 35, not really good at 50 and virtually unusable at 75. Can we have a poll or something, to bring this to the attention of Leica in a meaningful way, instead of just sending in solitary requests?

Umm -that is a design choice - and not a fault. Why should Leica "correct" it and p*ss off other users who like it this way?

• Like 2

Where is the Q2 3.1 firmware file actually located? All I see is the FIRMWARE LEICA Q (TYP 116) - VERS. 3.1 file and INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR LEICA Q2 AND Q2 MONOCHROM - FIRMWARE 3.1 AND FIRMWARE 1.1, which is a .pdf file. 

Never mind. I found the firmware file. You have to log in to your Leica account to find it. 

Edited by bjamisonf

22 hours ago, gteague said:

i can't find any changelog for v3.1 yet, but i applied the update and first thing i checked was the huge frustration of having my nose activate the size option in the af /field/ mode. i planted my nose solidly onto the screen in this mode and the camera didn't freeze up like it always has in the past.

i can't actually figure out how to change the size of the field now, but the default is much much better than that tiny little + sign i've been forced to use as the workaround.

tks for the notice! the firmware page says leica will notify users of updates, but i haven't gotten any notice. perhaps they're still preparing the docs to accompany it.

[later note: you press and hold the lcd even if you have it turned off for touch and then adjust the field size using the right top thumbwheel. your nose doesn't activate the size adjustment (which locks up the camera until the shutter is half-pressed) because the camera shifts to the evf when your face is close to it. which is now making me wonder why so many of us had problems with this if we had been using the evf auto-shift mode before. oh well, i'm just happy i can now return to using my preferred af mode]

/guy

Great news - I can cancel the rhinoplasty I scheduled!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Umm -that is a design choice - and not a fault. Why should Leica "correct" it and p*ss off other users who like it this way?

Well, it is a bad choice. If it were a good choice, others would copy it as best practice. They don't. Why? Because it is a bad choice. This is so because @ 75 mm, one has to guess what the composition will be because of the extremely small size. What I suggest is that Leica gives us the OPTION to use either way, i.e. the heritage-first / functionality-second option of the frame lines or the industry-standard best practice option of zooming in. Given this OPTION, why would anyone be pissed off? If someone is pissed off, well, so be it; can't please everyone. Also, do we know the percentage of Q2 owners that are coming from the M or other rangefinders? Presumably, this would be the only group that cares for that sort of heritage (and if they care that much, they can obviously buy a rangefinder), because the rest of the users (like me - first time buyer) care for functionality. Again, what I am asking for it an OPTION and last time I checked, options were a good thing, right?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, trickness said:

I've tried installing the firmware with no luck - downloaded the linked file, moved it to my memory card and keep getting a message that there is no firmware on the card when I attempt the update. I've placed the file at the top level of the card, in the DCIM folder, and still get the error. File name is Q2__21__lfu

Anybody have any ideas? Never have issues with my SL2 at all doing updates, first time on the Q2M.

uh, that's not the right version. go to the camera menu /information/ item and check which version you're already running. the new version is 3.1, not 2.1.

/guy

1 minute ago, gteague said:

uh, that's not the right version. go to the camera menu /information/ item and check which version you're already running. the new version is 3.1, not 2.1.

/guy

Yup, but according to Leica US, it's actually 1.1!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

That's the beauty of a little human innovation called options. Provide a menu option to leave it as is (the default) or to zoom the display. If you like the traditionalist approach then don't click the option. 

32 minutes ago, acg69 said:

Well, it is a bad choice. If it were a good choice, others would copy it as best practice. They don't. Why? Because it is a bad choice. This is so because @ 75 mm, one has to guess what the composition will be because of the extremely small size. What I suggest is that Leica gives us the OPTION to use either way, i.e. the heritage-first / functionality-second option of the frame lines or the industry-standard best practice option of zooming in. Given this OPTION, why would anyone be pissed off? If someone is pissed off, well, so be it; can't please everyone. Also, do we know the percentage of Q2 owners that are coming from the M or other rangefinders? Presumably, this would be the only group that cares for that sort of heritage (and if they care that much, they can obviously buy a rangefinder), because the rest of the users (like me - first time buyer) care for functionality. Again, what I am asking for it an OPTION and last time I checked, options were a good thing, right?

Thanks!

In YOUR opinion. I don''t have a Q, but if I had I would prefer the frameline option. After all, the  digtal zoom of the camera is nothing more than a crop preview. It will still be recording the full data. Others copying? Why should they?. They don't have a product stable that includes the fabulous M viewfinder. 

18 minutes ago, trickness said:

Yup, but according to Leica US, it's actually 1.1!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

sorry, i missed that you were using the /m/. and yes, i think i saw that v1.1 is right for it. and so far the convention is that the number is in the file name and you said you had a file with 2.1 in it.

i just downloaded it and the filename is q2m__11__.ifu. what version does your /info/ screen show you have?

/guy