SL2-S/ SL2 Face/Body Detect

Donzo98

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Why don't you just leave it on all the time? If there's no face to detect it reverts to normal AF and back when it sees a face. Or you can switch between face detect on/off by pressing the joystick in AFS.

Gordon

+1 

I default to face/body detect. I map one front button as AF mode so that I can quick switch between AFS or AFC. AFC works but EVF is jittery so I prefer AFS most of time if not need AFC. This is different than other camera such as Nikon, Canon and Sony. You could leave full time AFC with those cameras. 

SL2 actually works very well. It can track slow moving subject fine. (or fast moving at longer distance) 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Why don't you just leave it on all the time? If there's no face to detect it reverts to normal AF and back when it sees a face. Or you can switch between face detect on/off by pressing the joystick in AFS.

Gordon

Because - correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have a SL to test this again - it would default to Wide AF rather than Spot AF

Dont forget i-AF, it is actually good paired with Face/Body, so if your subject mooves, it switches to AF-C behavior... and if not stays in AF-S with sharper EVF image.

In my experience it did also work when center-pressing the joystick when in MF.... but I need to test more. Usually my "backup AF mode" available from the joystick when set to MF is tracking mode. Very handy for street.

Has anyone seen Face/Body detect trigering large focus boxes on some objects, like if it had an AI subject (object) detect? I have seen this on the London Eye ferry wheel....

• Like 1