Review: Leica Noctilux 50mm f1.2

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, Studienkamera said:

Is this documented somewhere? I could not find anything. Leica US shows the same weight (405g) for both versions, which suggests that they both may be anodized aluminium. However, it would not be the first time Leica provides wrong weight information.

It’s reported by someone in the beginning of the thread. I’ll find it when I’m not in my phone anymore. 
the silver is 200g more. 

• Thanks 1

vor 23 Minuten schrieb Studienkamera:

Is this documented somewhere? I could not find anything. Leica US shows the same weight (405g) for both versions, which suggests that they both may be anodized aluminium. However, it would not be the first time Leica provides wrong weight information.

The weight of the silver edition is 598 g due to the lens barrel, which is completely made of brass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

After chatting with a forum friend who's owned the Silver version of Noctilux, I am having cold feet about my acquisition as he told me that the silver is too heavy and much less usable than the black. 

As a reminder, I am a user before a collector, and I wanted the silver for my pure pleasure, as I love the look of silver lenses on black paint bodies. Any one with some experience using the Silver can confirm about the weight ? 

I guess for most people who own it that just means a safe which is 200g heavier. Not much difference in practice for a safe.

Edited by chasdfg
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Steven said:

It’s reported by someone in the beginning of the thread. I’ll find it when I’m not in my phone anymore. 
the silver is 200g more. 

Thanks, found it in #11. According to this, the weight difference in 193g. That's the second largest difference between black and silver versions I have in my records. Only the 90mm Summicron-M has an even larger difference (215g). 598g would be ok for me. My silver Elmarit-M 90mm has a weigth of 560g and it does not bother me (coming from Pentax 67). I like the heft of silver chrome lenses. If it were my goal to save 200g, I would start with myself first...

Edited by Studienkamera

36 minutes ago, Studienkamera said:

both may be anodized aluminium

The silver has a brass lens barrel.

From Leica website "The lens barrel is made of brass, rather than aluminium."  Which usually means heavier. Unusually, Leica do not give the weight for this lens in its Data  Sheet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chasdfg said:

I guess for most people who own it that just means a safe which is 200g heavier. Not much difference in practice for a safe.

You're probably right. But what about for me ? What does that mean ? That I should stick with an ugly black Noctilux if I want to continue using it ? Pity... 

On 2/13/2021 at 6:16 PM, padam said:

It has to be said, that must the most thorough unboxing video ever made. Though I'm realy disappointed we didn't get to see the left hand side of interior of the inner-inner box.

It must take this guy weeks to unpack his shopping. ("Und here, you can see they have included the net and gross weights on the packet of dried pasta..."

• Haha 3

My chrome 35 ASPH Summilux is considerably heavier than the black version by a bit under 200g (250g v 425g). OTOH it would appear that there is a higher proportion of 35 ASPH Summiluxes without horrendous aperture shift, amongst the chrome population than amongst the black. One possible reason for this is that brass is far easier to machine to the required exact measurements than aluminium because of a) heat generation on aluminium machining, so that the brass machined part stays cooler and b) the tendency for Aluminium to "spall" or tear rather than cutting cleanly. When the required tolerances for an ideal 35 ASPH Summilux proved to be unachievable in manufacturing, Leica in recognition of the unacceptable sample variation on this lens, redesigned the lens as a floating lens element lens, with more achievable manufacturing tolerances. 

Wilson

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Yep. What I was wondering is if in use, the 200 extra grams of the brass version really make a difference.... 

After all, one reason why I loved the black version was it's compactness. So I dont know if the extra weight will be welcome. 

I much prefer the chrome version of lenses because I think they are beautiful and I like the feel of brass lenses. Something about handling brass lenses is more satisfying for me. However, some silver lenses are just too heavy for my day-to-day handling. I love my silver chrome 50 APO because it’s generally a smaller lens. For my 35 summicron v4 I also chose the sliver chrome (and it’s quite heavy for such a tiny lens), but for the 35 Summilux pre-FLE I chose black aluminum because the silver is just too heavy for my daily.

At 598 grams the silver 1.2 Noctilux is too heavy for me. And the price is utterly ridiculous, even if I can afford it. If I got this lens it would be in black. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Steven said:

You're probably right. But what about for me ? What does that mean ? That I should stick with an ugly black Noctilux if I want to continue using it ? Pity... 

I actually don't think it's too heavy to be honest. It's the same weight as my noct f1 v4, which is not fun to carry daily but for a lens to use once in a while, it's fine. Unless you're a 50mm guy and want to use it as a daily driver (which i don't think you are based on your 35mm collection and fondness for the 28lux). You could probably sell the black 1.2 for profit now...for a pretty profit (pun intended) relative to the lens's cost. 

36 minutes ago, Steven said:

1. This guy is MAD for ripping off the outer paper box of his Silver Nocti

2. After seeing that video, my fingers are itching.... Good thing I misplaced my credit cart yesterday night... 

You can leave your card(s) with me. I won't use them to buy anything but will charge a fee for every card I hold!

14 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

My chrome 35 ASPH Summilux is considerably heavier than the black version by a bit under 200g (250g v 425g). OTOH it would appear that there is a higher proportion of 35 ASPH Summiluxes without horrendous aperture shift, amongst the chrome population than amongst the black. One possible reason for this is that brass is far easier to machine to the required exact measurements than aluminium because of a) heat generation on aluminium machining, so that the brass machined part stays cooler and b) the tendency for Aluminium to "spall" or tear rather than cutting cleanly. When the required tolerances for an ideal 35 ASPH Summilux proved to be unachievable in manufacturing, Leica in recognition of the unacceptable sample variation on this lens, redesigned the lens as a floating lens element lens, with more achievable manufacturing tolerances. 

Wilson

Interesting hypothesis. I have that lens as well in silver chrome and also don’t see any pronounced focus shift problems. I also have no problems with my silver v1 Tri-Elmar, while many users seem to complain about mechanical problems.

3 hours ago, ELAN said:

At 598 grams the silver 1.2 Noctilux is too heavy for me

This is my fear as well. It's just a 100 gram less than an SL 50 APO

2 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

Interesting hypothesis. I have that lens as well in silver chrome and also don’t see any pronounced focus shift problems. I also have no problems with my silver v1 Tri-Elmar, while many users seem to complain about mechanical problems.

I have a silver pre fle and don't see FS. My black one was not an issue either, though

3 hours ago, ELAN said:

I love my silver chrome 50 APO

Is that the LHSA version ? I'm currently buying that lens. I hear so many great things about it. 

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

Which is of course silver anodised aluminium. Sorry to have to tell you if you thought it was brass.

I have a silver chrome 50 APO LHSA 11187. It’s brass, not anodized aluminum. Check it out. 

Edited by ELAN
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ELAN said:

Yes it is. It is wonderful in every way. 

May I ask what other 50s you have ? or is that the only one you need ? I'm on the fence about buying it because I am into more vintage renderings, such as the Noctilux 1.2, and I did end up returning my 35APO after all. But it looks sooo good !