Review: Leica Noctilux 50mm f1.2

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, SoarFM said:

Investing in camera lenses? You mean, you wouldn't actually use the lens? Seems like a waste. There are always a few people that grab a new lens release and try to sell it at a premium on Ebay or something similar.  Apparently people will often pay the premium. Seems like a yucky business.

Then there are collectors, and that is different. Are you willing to pay $90,000 for a silver Noctilux 1.2? I think collectors collect for reasons that don't have anything to do with investment potential of their collection. I think they are probably very secure financially and think very little about whether  their collection is appreciating in value.

I have a black Noctilux 1.2, and I use it. It costs less that a new 50 APO and why would someone buy one of those just to park it in a cabinet?

FYI, I have a 50 1.2, a 50 Summilux and a 50 APO. In the same way that some people pick what focal length they want to use for a particular exposure (or outing), I also pick which lens in that focal length best suits my subject or mood. 

FYI, in once paid 60K for a silver Nocti. Used the hell out of it, including at the beach on salty summary day, and then sold it for 70k when I was bored of it. You can collect and use at the same time. 

My grandmother is big Rulhmaan fan. She sleeps in the bed she collects, and she uses the doors she collects too, when she needs to close her room. 

But I don't mean to debate. I get your point and what you say make sense. 

39 minutes ago, Steven said:

My grandmother is big Rulhmaan fan. She sleeps in the bed she collects, and she uses the doors she collects too, when she needs to close her room. 

Your granny has a great taste in Art Deco. Jacques-Émile Ruhlmann was a creator of masterpieces.

Ruhlmann, in the middle with the glasses, was a party animal as well….

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Gobert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

FYI, in once paid 60K for a silver Nocti. Used the hell out of it, including at the beach on salty summary day, and then sold it for 70k when I was bored of it. You can collect and use at the same time. 

Well, in that case, can I interest you in a beautiful 35-Summicron IV? Ahh, just kidding. 

I recall reading here that you’ve become a real fan of the 50 pre-asph. Any thoughts on what to look for and where? And just so we’re on the same page, my Noctilux 1.2 is one of the cheap black models….

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, SoarFM said:

In the same way that some people pick what focal length they want to use for a particular exposure (or outing), I also pick which lens in that focal length best suits my subject or mood. 

+1

That's exactly why I own (too) many fifties :):) :) 

Choosing between the APO and an older Summicron (rigid or V4), or the .95 noct, or the Elmar-M, depending on the intention and conditions...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, didier said:

+1

That's exactly why I own (too) many fifties :):) :) 

Choosing between the APO and an older Summicron (rigid or V4), or the .95 noct, or the Elmar-M, depending on the intention and conditions...

The Noct and the Elmar M are almost opposites when talking about character.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, farnz said:

Which Noct?  The (original) 50/1.2, the 50/1.0 V1, V2, v3, or V4, the new 50/1.2, or the 75/1.25? 🙂

Pete.

Almost Pete, you missed the .95 50mm Noctilux........The irony is that while most of the Noctilux's are truly-truly incredible lenses many of them are caught up in a love/hate relationship with their owners and only a few of us keep them for our entire lives. Personally I have owned every single iteration and still own the original 1.2 from 1968, and next the E58 F1 from 1975 and all the rest I have owned and sold. The newest 75 1.25 is an amazing lens when its out of focus rendering is viewed plus it is the sharpest wide open of all the Noctilux's, but it is also the largest in weight and size which could be argued goes against the "M" platform being a reporter style body which is why I personally did not keep my copy. So which "Noctilux" could be considered the ultimate, well that can be argued possibly for ever, yet could it be a three way tie between the original 1.2 for its painterly rendering, next the E58 F1 version 1 for its incredible artistic rendering when shot wide open, and finally the .95 for its ability to balance a great in focus sharpness with a 3 dimensionality between subject matter and butter smooth background. 

Thoughts form others?

I believe any lens or any system are able of excellent images. But for me, being an addict to Leica it is all very emotional. I love the way these lenses look and feel and render images all in their different way. Every time I put on a certain lens and start to  use it I feel that this is my favourite lens and that I will never part form it. That is why I end up with way too many lenses and all three of the 50mm Noctiluxes. And I love it!    :))

• Like 4

5 hours ago, insideline said:

Almost Pete, you missed the .95 50mm Noctilux........The irony is that while most of the Noctilux's are truly-truly incredible lenses many of them are caught up in a love/hate relationship with their owners and only a few of us keep them for our entire lives. Personally I have owned every single iteration and still own the original 1.2 from 1968, and next the E58 F1 from 1975 and all the rest I have owned and sold. The newest 75 1.25 is an amazing lens when its out of focus rendering is viewed plus it is the sharpest wide open of all the Noctilux's, but it is also the largest in weight and size which could be argued goes against the "M" platform being a reporter style body which is why I personally did not keep my copy. So which "Noctilux" could be considered the ultimate, well that can be argued possibly for ever, yet could it be a three way tie between the original 1.2 for its painterly rendering, next the E58 F1 version 1 for its incredible artistic rendering when shot wide open, and finally the .95 for its ability to balance a great in focus sharpness with a 3 dimensionality between subject matter and butter smooth background. 

Thoughts form others?

Well written, especially about the love-hate part which is especially true for the Noctiluxes (and for "Leica glow" lenses too). I have had both the 50/1 and the 0.95 Noctiluxes and parted with both - for me, the Summilux 50 (mine is II) does the job @ my daily routine. I also have the Summilux 75 (Mandler) and Summilux 24.

I am trying to get the affection for the Noctilux 1.2 wide open, love the design and feel but am struggling with its "artistic" rendering at 1.2... What @lookbook wrote in post 396 is unfortunately very accurate... I am happy that this lens has found so much love, fans and supporters in the Leica user crowd. I have recently pissed off an editor by using a starburst filter on a Christmas themed fashion editorial & cover shoot with dresses full of glitter (he loved the 8 stars but his complaint was about the skin being softer than normal on the photos, a logical side effect of the filter)... I cannot imagine bringing the "artistic" images from the 50/1.2 Noct wide open anyone in the commercial world... Anyhow, horses for courses I guess.

Edited by Al Brown

7 hours ago, insideline said:

Thoughts form others?

Ah, mea culpa.  I agree with what you have said, particularly about the 75/1:1.25  Noctilux and I use it with the SL2-S, which works well for me.

The point I was making was that the honourable forum member was comparing the characters of the 'Elmar M' and 'the Noct' but with the range of Noctiluxes offering a range of different characters I was enquiring which one.

I would prefer not to be drawn into a discussion about 'the ultimate Noctilux' as I see it as having no end owing to views being tinted by subjectivity, personal experience, and expectation.

Pete.

• Like 1

My 0.95 Nocti sits for year after year virtually unused on a shelf. I just don't find its one (and a little bit) stop extra over my 50 Summilux III SE, compensates for the weight. I think it is probably time I sold it. When I do use the Noctilux, it is usually on my SL601, where IMHO, it balances far better than on an M body and the SL's excellent EVF makes low light focussing much easier than with a rangefinder. I am hoping that the Visoflex 3 will be as good as the EVF on the SL. 

Wilson

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 3:58 AM, Al Brown said:

A (philosophical) question for all dear Forum members: Would you consider a brand new black anodized Noctilux 50/1.2 a viable short or long term investment with a possible good return? 

Philosophical answer:

1) it doesn’t generate income (assuming your are not a pro photographer and the lens would be a substantial advantage for you over the competition)

2) it doesn’t generate dividends. 

3) you hope to resell the item after a few years at a higher price than what you payed for today (adjusted for inflation and adjusted for the lost  opportunity of investing the same amount of money in a more traditional investment vehicle). Not very likely to happen. 

—> It’s not an investment. 

• Like 2

The problem i have with the investment theory is that when i buy a lens i like to use it in all winds and weather without fear,also all my 4 grand children can use it to take pics so i can get into the odd image.

Now i still look after the lens but it might get a knock or a scratch etc but the main thing is enjoying using it in all conditions without fear in my view.

I am lucky enough to own the very expensive 50mm summicrom V5 silver/chrome but i just use it as i would  any other lens and if i had this noctilux remake the same would apply otherwise you may as well pack in actually taking photos.

8 hours ago, laowai_ said:

Philosophical answer:

1) it doesn’t generate income (assuming your are not a pro photographer and the lens would be a substantial advantage for you over the competition)

2) it doesn’t generate dividends. 

3) you hope to resell the item after a few years at a higher price than what you payed for today (adjusted for inflation and adjusted for the lost  opportunity of investing the same amount of money in a more traditional investment vehicle). Not very likely to happen. 

—> It’s not an investment. 

You are of course corrrect at some points if we speak generally. But my case is slightly different:

1. I am and it is, it is so special wide open that it is great, no competition has a similar rendering optics.
2. True, can't argue with that.
4. 100% very likely to happen as is the case with virtually all "special" Leica lenses nowadays. If left sealed even more. But then we negate part of point 1.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I own the new 1.2 Noctilux and as much as i love the images i do not agree with the results.

First, i shoot with Leica SL2s and that is where you can nail focus better than on any M camera (unless you use evf). 

The lens must therefore not be calibrated 100% to my camera- Maybe your lens was not 100% fit.

Why do i say this ? Well, i get sharp results in the center. Not super sharp but at 1.4 it is as sharp as my 50 Summilux at 1.4 and slightly less sharp at 1.2

Also sharpness at 1.2 improves when you shoot at a distance. At infinity center sharpness even at 1.2 is remarkable and definelty usable. That hold also true for 4m.

Corner sharpness is not great at 1.2 (nothing really sharp that is true) but also only at minimum focus distance where it does not matter much anyway. At infinity corner sharpness is better and only extreme corners are soft. At f5.6 corners are sharp at infinity. really sharp. you can say the images is still sharper in den middle but only because the sharpness in the middle even beats my Summilux.

For me it is perfectly usable as a daily driver and that what it is right now. The Summilux is staying but only because Leica lenses do not fall in price easily :)

I might post a review because i read so many that almost kept me from buying and i feel the need to do it. gerhardsphoto.com will be the site.

Dont know if my time will allow that to happen.

Greetings from Cologne, Germany

Elderin

Edit: I also owned (and sold) the Noctilux 50 1.0 V4 and the Noctilux 0.95 both for the same reason. to big and heavy on a full day out. that is unless it is the only lens you carry along, then the F1 is ok. The 0.95 is always a burdon (but the results are beautiful in their own rights though very different from the 1.2).

Edited by Elderin
Edit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 8:26 PM, Elderin said:

I own the new 1.2 Noctilux and as much as i love the images i do not agree with the results.

First, i shoot with Leica SL2s and that is where you can nail focus better than on any M camera (unless you use evf). 

The lens must therefore not be calibrated 100% to my camera- Maybe your lens was not 100% fit.

Why do i say this ? Well, i get sharp results in the center. Not super sharp but at 1.4 it is as sharp as my 50 Summilux at 1.4 and slightly less sharp at 1.2

Also sharpness at 1.2 improves when you shoot at a distance. At infinity center sharpness even at 1.2 is remarkable and definelty usable. That hold also true for 4m.

Corner sharpness is not great at 1.2 (nothing really sharp that is true) but also only at minimum focus distance where it does not matter much anyway. At infinity corner sharpness is better and only extreme corners are soft. At f5.6 corners are sharp at infinity. really sharp. you can say the images is still sharper in den middle but only because the sharpness in the middle even beats my Summilux.

For me it is perfectly usable as a daily driver and that what it is right now. The Summilux is staying but only because Leica lenses do not fall in price easily :)

I might post a review because i read so many that almost kept me from buying and i feel the need to do it. gerhardsphoto.com will be the site.

Dont know if my time will allow that to happen.

Greetings from Cologne, Germany

Elderin

Edit: I also owned (and sold) the Noctilux 50 1.0 V4 and the Noctilux 0.95 both for the same reason. to big and heavy on a full day out. that is unless it is the only lens you carry along, then the F1 is ok. The 0.95 is always a burdon (but the results are beautiful in their own rights though very different from the 1.2).

To my surprise, out of the 50s focal length i have, the 1.2 being the most used lens in my library

i once sold and reclaim back the 0.95, the monster stay for a very special occasions

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I owned the f1 Noctilux. I was passing through Singapore in 2004 on an 8 month trip, shooting film with my M7. I wandered into a few camera stores and one had thef1 sitting on a shelf. Since this was pre-digital, the lens seemed as though it would be handy on the trip so I bought it for about GBP2500.

I honestly never liked it much because it was just too big and heavy on an M and when Leica looked like they were never going digital, I sold all my glass for a pittance. The next year, they went digital...

I might consider the 1.2 re-issue because I love the rendering it gives but flare looks bad.

Edited by Kiwimac