Firmware 3.0

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Tom Johnston:

In the finder I look for the file number of the last image i shot- for example, L000123.DNG (or jpeg). I then shoot a new picture, put the card back in the computer, and change the file number to L000124.DNG then put the card back in the camera and continue shooting. With my latest download the files were "deleted automatically" after download; my usual practice is to delete the files after downloading them. Then reformat the card when returned to the camera.

There may be another, easier or direct way to change the file number by changing the folder name, from L000xxx to whatever you prefer. I believe some shooters change this to reference specific cameras, though I haven't done this. Perhaps someone will offer advice.

This will work only with the file number but not with the folder name. If you change the folder name to the last used one before you updated to firmware 3.0 the Leica Q2 will add a new folder with the name LEICA100 and use this folder for storing and numbering.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeGee said:

This will work only with the file number but not with the folder name. If you change the folder name to the last used one before you updated to firmware 3.0 the Leica Q2 will add a new folder with the name LEICA100 and use this folder for storing and numbering.

True. But there’s a fix, and I pulled it off finally. 

So Leica creates a new folder after every 1,000 shots. My latest count before the upgrade was left at L103xxxx and after upgrade the image numbering started from L1000001. Using the method mentioned above I took a shot, then changed the file name to L1001000 on the laptop then inserted the card back to camera. So the next shot was L1010001 in the new L101 folder. Then I did the renaming on the computer again, to L1011000.

Since folders L102 and L103 remained on my SD card the whole time, instead of writing to folder L102 which seemed logical enough, the camera skipped both folders and created L104 folder with my following shot bearing the file number L1040001. Fix for me as long as the numbering doesn’t go back to cause any confusion in my photo management. 

• Like 4

On 11/4/2020 at 7:53 AM, Leica Guy said:

In MF. I cannot make magnification work using the thumb button. That’s with auto-magnification off. When I turn auto-mag on I can magnify by moving the focus ring. Still no control with the thumb button. Ivan change from +3 to +6... with the Set button, but it times out back to 1X after 5 secs. 

In AF, I cannot magnify. 

Very curious is there’s some setting that allows yours to operate as you describe. I have not found any workaround. Thanks. 

I believe it is first a problem with the Leica instructions which are simply incorrect, and that seems to be typical.  The instructions mention the FN button, but that's spurious; the FN button has nothing to do with it:

1 - Menu

2 - Customize Control

3 - RIGHT Wheel Button

4 - Magnification ON (if you have already selected too many choices, you'll have to disable one)

5 - Menu

6 - Focusing

7 - Focus Mode

8 - Focus Assist

9 - Auto Magnification Off

Long Press on RIGHT Wheel Button, Select Magnification

Now the Right Wheel Button - the button, not the wheel, will toggle magnification 1x / 3x or 6x (use Set to change between 3x or 6x).

Edited by bullmoon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, bullmoon said:

9 - Auto Magnification Off

Hi bullmoon

thanks for clarifying. This works for me in MF and AF. The magnification stays on and it does not revert to 1x after any time. However, this is even independent of the "Auto Magnification" setting. I can leave that ON.

Cheers

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, sfphoto said:

Hi bullmoon

thanks for clarifying. This works for me in MF and AF. The magnification stays on and it does not revert to 1x after any time. However, this is even independent of the "Auto Magnification" setting. I can leave that ON.

Cheers

Yes, I just tried Auto Mag ON and it continues to work.  I still find that Magnification is cancelled with 1/2 press on the shutter, but that's probably OK.

Edited by bullmoon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bullmoon said:

Yes, I just tried Auto Mag ON and it continues to work.  I still find that Magnification is cancelled with 1/2 press on the shutter, but that's probably OK.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Thank you so much and for following up. I really appreciate it. It works exactly as you describe. Fantastic!! 

It also works with Auto-Magnification On, but with that it does time out. Once the Thumb Button is pushed and Magnification selected, it stays magnified. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, GeorgiC said:

I know most of you don't shoot JPG, but did you guys see any real difference in the JPGs? I don't know how different SL2 rendering is compared to the Q2 pre-firmware 3.0..

UP ;)

Hi all

I am also interesting in the jpg changes. I am thinking of buying this camera and I’m lazy jpg shooter.

Edited by aldam
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bullmoon said:

Creo que primero es un problema con las instrucciones de Leica que son simplemente incorrectas, y eso parece ser típico. Las instrucciones mencionan el botón FN, pero eso es falso; el botón FN no tiene nada que ver con esto:

1 - Menú

2 - Personalizar el control

3 - Botón de rueda DERECHA

4 - Ampliación activada (si ya ha seleccionado demasiadas opciones, tendrá que desactivar una)

5 - Menú

6 - Enfoque

7 - Modo de enfoque

8 - Asistente de enfoque

9 - Ampliación automática desactivada

Mantenga presionado el botón de rueda DERECHA, seleccione Ampliación

Ahora, el botón de la rueda derecha: el botón, no la rueda, alternará la ampliación 1x / 3x o 6x (use Set para cambiar entre 3x o 6x).

Hi. been setting the camera as comments and in AF, the magnification does not work. Works in Manual Focus, as before upgrade to 3.0

3 hours ago, Salvador said:

Hi. been setting the camera as comments and in AF, the magnification does not work. Works in Manual Focus, as before upgrade to 3.0

Magnification using the Thumb Button definitely works in AF. I don’t see an obvious use for it in AF, but it works. 

• Like 2

Hace 5 horas, Leica Guy dijo:

La ampliación con el botón del pulgar definitivamente funciona en AF. No veo un uso obvio para él en AF, pero funciona. 

Correcto, funciona con el botón FN, no en el botón del dial de la rueda derecha como creí entender en otro post. Thank you very much for solving my question

Edited by Salvador

2 hours ago, Salvador said:

Correcto, funciona con el botón FN, no en el botón del dial de la rueda derecha como creí entender en otro post. Thank you very much for solving my question

Great. We can both thank Bullmoon. He’s the hero in this adventure. 

57 minutes ago, Arsenio said:

Bluetooth connectivity did not improve.

I had a slightly different experience connecting to FOTOS... After updating my firmware, I tried connecting the camera to FOTOS and it did not find/connect using the existing information in the application. I deleted the camera and connected in the fastest time I've witnessed so far. There was no mention of any connection improvements in the release notes, so maybe I got lucky.

Tommy.

This is very weird! Just installed Firmware 3 to Q2. All went fine but now when I look through the EVF with my left eye (right eye vision is defective) and (inevitably) my nose touches the top of the LCD screen the focus field square changes to one with two red resizing arrows. Half press restores normal screen. Nose touches it again and back to resize. Of course this then effectively removes the exposure comp facility from the thumb wheel. Bizarre and there is nothing unique about my nose as far as I am aware 🤥 as touching the screen with my thumb has the same effect. Could this be an electrostatic charge even though the LCD is not on? This did not happen with v2.

Settings: touch AF off, touch AF in EVF off, AF Mode Field, AFs, EVF Extended, Leica screen protector. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HighlandK said:

This is very weird! Just installed Firmware 3 to Q2. All went fine but now when I look through the EVF with my left eye (right eye vision is defective) and (inevitably) my nose touches the top of the LCD screen the focus field square changes to one with two red resizing arrows. Half press restores normal screen. Nose touches it again and back to resize. Of course this then effectively removes the exposure comp facility from the thumb wheel. Bizarre and there is nothing unique about my nose as far as I am aware 🤥 as touching the screen with my thumb has the same effect. Could this be an electrostatic charge even though the LCD is not on? This did not happen with v2.

Settings: touch AF off, touch AF in EVF off, AF Mode Field, AFs, EVF Extended, Leica screen protector. 

That's by design and a new feature, but kind of funny your nose triggers it - I shoot left eye too and haven't noticed that yet, but I try to keep my nose off the screen!  Here's what's going on:

ADJUSTING THE METERING FIELD SIZE
The AF quick setting allows quick changes to the metering field size
during field metering. This feature is also available while the
Touch AF function is deactivated.
▸ Touch and hold the LCD panel
• All auxiliary displays are hidden.
• Red triangles appear at two corners of the metering field if the
metering method Field is set.
▸ Turn the thumbwheel
or
▸ Two-finger pinch/spread
• The size of the AF-metering field is adjustable in 3 increments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bullmoon said:

That's by design and a new feature, but kind of funny your nose triggers it - I shoot left eye too and haven't noticed that yet, but I try to keep my nose off the screen!  Here's what's going on:

ADJUSTING THE METERING FIELD SIZE
The AF quick setting allows quick changes to the metering field size
during field metering. This feature is also available while the
Touch AF function is deactivated.
▸ Touch and hold the LCD panel
• All auxiliary displays are hidden.
• Red triangles appear at two corners of the metering field if the
metering method Field is set.
▸ Turn the thumbwheel
or
▸ Two-finger pinch/spread
• The size of the AF-metering field is adjustable in 3 increments.

Thanks Bullmoon and thanks for not alluding to the comparative sizes of our noses 🙂 Perhaps my LCD screen is ultra sensitive. What confused me in the firmware pdf which you quote is the reference to metering field size when it is focus field size. So for me the critical question is how to switch off this "AF quick setting" so that once set I can leave the field size unadjusted. I see that it still works with the Touch AF function deactivated - which mine is. Anyone know how to switch off the AF quick setting? Thanks in advance.

22 minutes ago, microview said:

I want to assign format to FN button, which was fine with eaarlier firmware but is now set to self timer. When I try to turn this to off I just get warning 'active items cannot be deleted'. Any suggestions?

Ah, well at least that is one problem I can solve, if not my own above. Menu Screen 3, Customise Control. Choose FN Button then scroll right to the end choice of Format Card. Right arrow switches to on. When using the FN button hold down and then select the item that is to come up on a short press.

• Like 1