Firmware 3.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, microview said:

When I try to turn this to off I just get warning 'active items cannot be deleted'. Any suggestions?

You need to first choose some other item from the list. Hold down the FN button and change it from Self Timer to whatever. Now you can go into the menu , deactivate self timer and activate format for the FN button. Hold the FN button and choose format. Next time you press FN you get the option to format. 

• Like 2

I've noticed a few issues with firmware 3.0.  When using EVF-LCD auto, the function to change the size of focus point appears if you inadvertently put your nose on the LCD screen for a second or two while looking through the EVF.  The settings display screen disappears until you change the size of the focus or half press the shutter release button.  This occurs even if you have Touch AF off!  Before firmware 3.0, I had the right wheel button serve as exposure compensation when in autofocus mode and as magnifier when in manual mode.  With 3.0, it will only serve as a single function in both autofocus and manual mode.  Both of these issues make my workflow a bit harder.

2 minutes ago, jhon said:

I've noticed a few issues with firmware 3.0.  When using EVF-LCD auto, the function to change the size of focus point appears if you inadvertently put your nose on the LCD screen for a second or two while looking through the EVF.  The settings display screen disappears until you change the size of the focus or half press the shutter release button.  This occurs even if you have Touch AF off!  Before firmware 3.0, I had the right wheel button serve as exposure compensation when in autofocus mode and as magnifier when in manual mode.  With 3.0, it will only serve as a single function in both autofocus and manual mode.  Both of these issues make my workflow a bit harder.

I'm very pleased to hear that it isn't just my nose that causes the problem. 😃 But a firmware fix or work around would be very much appreciated - apart from plastic surgery ...

• Like 2

vor 46 Minuten schrieb jhon:

It's annoying, that's what it is! I'm struggling with this "feature" all day. 

11 minutes ago, Stephen_C said:

No, I don't think so. I always use my left eye and experience exactly the same as you having upgraded to firmware 3.0. I just try to ignore the effect!

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. One of the many attributes of this forum is that one gets good, sensible and above all re-assuring answers. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Verstehe ich das nur falsch oder finde ich die richtige Einstellung nicht? Ich möchte, dass bei jedem neuen Einschalten der Kamera der Focus im Zentrum bleibt. Noch lieber wäre mir er ließe sich generell dort blockieren (wie es bei meiner x100-fuji durch längeres Drücken des Set-Knopfes machbar war). Kann mich jemand aufklären?

Verstehe ich das nur falsch oder finde ich die richtige Einstellung nicht? Ich möchte, dass bei jedem neuen Einschalten der Kamera der Focus im Zentrum bleibt. Noch lieber wäre mir er ließe sich generell dort blockieren (wie es bei meiner x100-fuji durch längeres Drücken des Set-Knopfes machbar war). Kann mich jemand aufklären?

On 11/9/2020 at 12:49 AM, HighlandK said:

This is very weird! Just installed Firmware 3 to Q2. All went fine but now when I look through the EVF with my left eye (right eye vision is defective) and (inevitably) my nose touches the top of the LCD screen the focus field square changes to one with two red resizing arrows. Half press restores normal screen. Nose touches it again and back to resize. Of course this then effectively removes the exposure comp facility from the thumb wheel. Bizarre and there is nothing unique about my nose as far as I am aware 🤥 as touching the screen with my thumb has the same effect. Could this be an electrostatic charge even though the LCD is not on? This did not happen with v2.

Settings: touch AF off, touch AF in EVF off, AF Mode Field, AFs, EVF Extended, Leica screen protector. 

I am what the German calls a "Linkseinblicker" so my nose touches the LCD screen. With version 3.0 the focus rectangle sometimes changes to the rectangle with two red arrows. This change only occurs when I slowly bring the camera to my eye. When I do it in a quick movement, the change does not occur. The sensitivity of the EVF makes no difference.

On 11/7/2020 at 8:08 AM, tommydom said:

I had a slightly different experience connecting to FOTOS... After updating my firmware, I tried connecting the camera to FOTOS and it did not find/connect using the existing information in the application. I deleted the camera and connected in the fastest time I've witnessed so far. There was no mention of any connection improvements in the release notes, so maybe I got lucky.

Tommy.

Following my update to 3.0, my Leica FOTOS menu item on the camera is grayed out and not selectable!

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting that is somehow interfering with this?

I raised the issue of the nose triggering the focus point resizing when looking through the EVF with the left eye with Leica UK. I received the following:

"Thank you for your feedback. My colleague tried it with the camera and he realized what you mean and thinks similar about it. We therefore got in contact now with our headquarter in AG and asked if there’s an option to turn it off. We’re still awaiting for an answer, but as soon as we have more information I will update you.

For now I can suggest using the spot focus option rather than field. You also can use the double tap to return the spot focus to the central position."

Watch this space - or not as the case may be! I guess if enough point out issues to Leica they may listen and react with firmware fixes. Or is that my optimistic view of the world coming through?

• Like 2

Is there any way i can have a different function for the right wheel button in manual mode vs auto focus mode?

For me this feels like a regression instead. Loved having the magnification on the right wheel button when manually focusing, not when autofocus is on though.

The price of not having the right amount of buttons like the original Q i suppose is having to go through more steps/menus to get the same thing done. Like TKL vs smaller keyboards, at some point it's too much i guess heh :)

11 hours ago, dnease said:

Following my update to 3.0, my Leica FOTOS menu item on the camera is grayed out and not selectable!

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a setting that is somehow interfering with this?

Pleased to report I figured this out. Somehow, by re-selecting my profile it brought FOTOS back to life on the camera.

Posting in case anyone else has this issue!

Am 10.11.2020 um 21:43 schrieb jimbn:

I am what the German calls a "Linkseinblicker" so my nose touches the LCD screen.

I understand the problem even if i use the right eye,
but i don't see what this has to do with the Leica Q series as i guess that this will happen also with similar size cameras with touchscreen.
A touchscreen is made to do something if he is touched and don't realize if its a finger or a nose, so the only option would be to disable the touchscreen,
but then the righteyeviewers and touchscreen users start to complain.

Maybe Leica will code the option to be able to switch on/ off the touchscreen so solve this problem for those who have issues with that.

Chris

Am 10.11.2020 um 20:41 schrieb FKarmeyer:

Please post german posts in the german part of this forum.
Everybody can write here, but the language is English.

Chris

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

I understand the problem even if i use the right eye,
but i don't see what this has to do with the Leica Q series as i guess that this will happen also with similar size cameras with touchscreen.
A touchscreen is made to do something if he is touched and don't realize if its a finger or a nose, so the only option would be to disable the touchscreen,
but then the righteyeviewers and touchscreen users start to complain.

Maybe Leica will code the option to be able to switch on/ off the touchscreen so solve this problem for those who have issues with that.

Chris

I cannot say about other cameras in general but this is a particular problem of Q2 v 3.0 firmware. The focus field resize function is a feature of the Q2 and it might have been on the Q but I cannot recall. The same feature was in v2 but but was not triggered by touching the LCD. Switching off touch AF does not disable the feature and there is no way of returning to the v2.0 configuration.

I think the problem is that the touchscreen is on "all the time" because the function in question works even when the screen is dark, and currently there's no way to fully turn the touchscreen off. This doesn't happen on the M10-P because when the screen is off, it's off.   

vor 6 Stunden schrieb nuc001:

I think the problem is that the touchscreen is on "all the time" because the function in question works even when the screen is dark, and currently there's no way to fully turn the touchscreen off.

Yes,
if Leica would implement the possibility to switch the touchscreen completely off (and maybe off when dark because eye on VF) then everybody will be happy.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb HighlandK:

I cannot say about other cameras in general but this is a particular problem of Q2 v 3.0 firmware. The focus field resize function is a feature of the Q2 and it might have been on the Q but I cannot recall. The same feature was in v2 but but was not triggered by touching the LCD. Switching off touch AF does not disable the feature and there is no way of returning to the v2.0 configuration.

What i wanted to say that on other touchscreen cameras the touchscreen does something while touching it ad not necessarely the focus file resize.
But you are right, if thei problem did not existed on V2 then Leica coded a problem as they probably not where thinking that some people use left eye.

Chris

• Like 1

I'd appreciate any guidance on this.....after installing V3.0 update, I can no longer get Bluetooth activated on the Q2.
No doubt in my ignorance I'm failing to do something simple, but prior to V3, I had managed to pair the Q2 to the Leica FOTOS app on my phone.
However now nothing I try will change the  Bluetooth from "OFF" to "ON" via the main Q2 menu.
(When I attempt to switch to "ON", I then get the pairing screen which then of course reverts to the Bluetooth setting of "OFF").
I've done a full camera reset, created & reloaded a default profile (dnease's posting above) but am now at a loss how to proceed as the manual offers nothing useful on Bluetooth.

Further post several hours later 👎
Having searched through other fora here after dozens of unsuccessful tries to pair the Q2 with v3.0 to my Android phone, I found a solution elsewhere posted by "iRandom" - to whom, grateful thanks:-
"Then I updated to FW 3.0 and tried to do the pairing. The Bluetooth option on the camera was off and not selectable until I removed the  Q2 from Fotos and re-added it. I was then able to connect, view photos on the camera and control the camera. I also confirmed that a photo I took from the camera (not via the remote) shows the GPS icon. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max running the latest production iOS. Edited Wednesday at 04:06 PM by iRandom"
It wasn't quite that simple with my Android and it involved numerous deletions of the repeating appearance of the Q2 on my Bluetooth and wifi lists. Eventually though I got the link established.
Rhetorical question - but why can't a company like Leica get this simple operation sorted? They don't provide a cable release for the shutter so remote operation is an essential feature.

Edited by 6399
(edited for typos)
  • Like 1