Firmware 3.0

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Q/Leica-Q2/Firmware?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=&utm_term=https%3A%2F%2Fq2.leica-camera.com%2F%3Fsubpage%3Dfirmware

•      JPG image quality / Color rendition
Based on the positive feedback and impressions of the SL2's JPG rendering, these settings are now implemented in the Q2's image pipeline for JPG files.

•      AF settings in Touch AF "OFF" mode
The size of the AF field can now be changed by a long press of the touchscreen and the AF field can be centered by a double-tap even when the Touch AF function is disabled.
•      Favorite menu assignment
Display Settings and JPG Resolution can now be added to the favorites menu.

•      Auto-ISO in flash mode
The Auto-ISO function is now available when using an external flash.

•      User Profile listing arrangement
Custom user profiles are now displayed first in the sub-menu list, before the Default Profile and Manage Profiles options

•      Assignment of functions to the right wheel button (thumb wheel button) 
The user can now assign their desired setting to the right wheel button while in MF-mode.

MF right wheel button customization is what I've been waiting for.  

Great to see SL2 jpg rendering will be identical to SL2.

Edited by itcrashed

It appears that we lost the ability to stay magnified in manual focus mode when pushing the thumb button. That is a step backwards for macro photography outside. It was so nice to observe when the image was stabilized in between wind movement. Maybe I’m missing how to keep it magnified without having to adjust the MF control. I’m probably in the minority wanting this capability, but IMHO it’s the way it should work in order to facilitate outdoor macro photography. My Canon DSLR’s and now R5 works this way. 

Follow-Up: Bullmoon posted later in this thread the menu selections that still enable the sticky magnification capability. It is excellent. Now I’m very happy with V3.0. Thanks Bullmoon!! 

Edited by Leica Guy

36 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

It appears that we lost the ability to stay magnified in manual focus mode when pushing the thumb button. That is a step backwards for macro photography outside. It was so nice to observe when the image was stabilized in between wind movement. Maybe I’m missing how to keep it magnified without having to adjust the MF control. I’m probably in the minority wanting this capability, but IMHO it’s the way it should work in order to facilitate outdoor macro photography. My Canon DSLR’s and now R5 works this way. 

I am not sure what it was like in FW 2.0. In FW 3.0 you can assign the right wheel button to Magnification (3x and 6x). This way you can zoom in anytime (in AF and MF).

1 hour ago, sfphoto said:

I am not sure what it was like in FW 2.0. In FW 3.0 you can assign the right wheel button to Magnification (3x and 6x). This way you can zoom in anytime (in AF and MF).

You are right about that, but in V2.0 it would stay in that magnification until the display turned off with power saving. Now in V3.0 it reverts back to 1.0X after I’d guess 6 secs. I’ve made the case that specifically for macro photography it’s a big advantage to see the subject under magnification for a prolonged time. The idea is under magnification I can see subtle movements caused by wind that will cause the image to be blurred. I would trip the shutter when the image is completely still between breezes. It’s a special case, but the Q/ Q2 has a marvelous macro mode. Taking full advantage of that is what I’m after. 

1 hour ago, Leica Guy said:

Now in V3.0 it reverts back to 1.0X after I’d guess 6 secs.

Not on mine. It stays at 6x the whole time, it does not revert to 1x. The screen turns off at some point, but I can tap the shutter and I am back at 6x.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine drops out of magnifications too:

Auto Magnification: ON

Manual Focus - zooms to 3x or 6x

After a few seconds - OR if I touch the shutter release 1/2 press - zooms back to 1x.

Maybe there's some other setting that affects this, but it's not obvious.  Can't recall how it worked in V2.

2 hours ago, Tom Johnston said:

My number count reset to 0 even though it was set not to, at least in the previous firmware. It was easy enough to reset by referencing the last image number, just a surprise.

I noticed the same.  How do you go about "referencing the last image number"?

13 hours ago, bullmoon said:

If I zoom with the Wheel Button, it stays zoomed in.  Auto Magnification from the focus ring doesn't, it reverts to 1x.  Disable AutoMag, and then Zoom with the button, could be a workaround.

In MF. I cannot make magnification work using the thumb button. That’s with auto-magnification off. When I turn auto-mag on I can magnify by moving the focus ring. Still no control with the thumb button. Ivan change from +3 to +6... with the Set button, but it times out back to 1X after 5 secs. 

In AF, I cannot magnify. 

Very curious is there’s some setting that allows yours to operate as you describe. I have not found any workaround. Thanks. 

17 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Tiene razón en eso, pero en la V2.0 permanecería en esa ampliación hasta que la pantalla se apague con el ahorro de energía. Ahora en la V3.0 vuelve a 1.0X después de que supongo que 6 segundos. He argumentado que, específicamente para la fotografía macro, es una gran ventaja ver al sujeto bajo aumento durante un tiempo prolongado. La idea es que bajo aumento puedo ver movimientos sutiles provocados por el viento que harán que la imagen se vea borrosa. Dispararía el obturador cuando la imagen está completamente quieta entre brisas. Es un caso especial, pero el Q / Q2 tiene un modo macro maravilloso. Aprovechar al máximo eso es lo que busco. 

I have installed version 3.0 and assigned the right selector wheel button "Magnification On" and in AF this magnification does not work for me. Thank you

5 hours ago, acg69 said:

How do you go about “referencing the last image number”?

In the finder I look for the file number of the last image i shot- for example, L000123.DNG (or jpeg). I then shoot a new picture, put the card back in the computer, and change the file number to L000124.DNG then put the card back in the camera and continue shooting. With my latest download the files were "deleted automatically" after download; my usual practice is to delete the files after downloading them. Then reformat the card when returned to the camera.

There may be another, easier or direct way to change the file number by changing the folder name, from L000xxx to whatever you prefer. I believe some shooters change this to reference specific cameras, though I haven't done this. Perhaps someone will offer advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom Johnston said:

In the finder I look for the file number of the last image i shot- for example, L000123.DNG (or jpeg). I then shoot a new picture, put the card back in the computer, and change the file number to L000124.DNG then put the card back in the camera and continue shooting. With my latest download the files were "deleted automatically" after download; my usual practice is to delete the files after downloading them. Then reformat the card when returned to the camera.

There may be another, easier or direct way to change the file number by changing the folder name, from L000xxx to whatever you prefer. I believe some shooters change this to reference specific cameras, though I haven't done this. Perhaps someone will offer advice.

Thank you!  This is super helpful!

• Like 1

Firmware 2.0 updated a lot of things.  There seems relatively little change in 3.0 based on the firmware description.  Has anyone noticed performance improvement?  It is frustrating that Panasonic just provided another updates that improved S1 AF and other things, while update for Q2 is mostly on GUI (2.0 GUI was much better than 1.0 though).

13 hours ago, vedivv said:

Firmware 2.0 updated a lot of things.  There seems relatively little change in 3.0 based on the firmware description.  Has anyone noticed performance improvement?  It is frustrating that Panasonic just provided another updates that improved S1 AF and other things, while update for Q2 is mostly on GUI (2.0 GUI was much better than 1.0 though).

I don't think the Maestro II processor is powerful enough to get substantial AF improvements like the Panasonic ones. You probably have to wait and get a Q3 whenever it will be released.