Firmware 3.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 15.11.2020 um 08:10 schrieb bullmoon:

Yes, it is cool to get the geotagging now - it is an option (BETA) that must be enabled to work, though. 

Unfortunately Geotagging don't work as it would make sense.
Geotagging works only well when using Fotos in remote control mode and that makes no sense as almost nobody would use geotagging on a tripod.
While using the camera, sending coordinates work for 1-2 minutes then drop the connection and that translates that before every shot Fotos must be connected with the camera again.

I hope Leica is able to make it work that once Leica Fotos and the Q2 are connected it keeps the connection until stopped intentionally.

Chris

On 11/25/2020 at 4:36 AM, PhotoCruiser said:

Unfortunately Geotagging don't work as it would make sense.
Geotagging works only well when using Fotos in remote control mode and that makes no sense as almost nobody would use geotagging on a tripod.
While using the camera, sending coordinates work for 1-2 minutes then drop the connection and that translates that before every shot Fotos must be connected with the camera again.

I hope Leica is able to make it work that once Leica Fotos and the Q2 are connected it keeps the connection until stopped intentionally.

Chris

It should be persistent now if enabled.  I have not done a lot of testing, but it is certainly improved over the previous version with this beta feature - it is beta, so I expect it gets better as they test it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 11:49 PM, HighlandK said:

This is very weird! Just installed Firmware 3 to Q2. All went fine but now when I look through the EVF with my left eye (right eye vision is defective) and (inevitably) my nose touches the top of the LCD screen the focus field square changes to one with two red resizing arrows. Half press restores normal screen. Nose touches it again and back to resize. Of course this then effectively removes the exposure comp facility from the thumb wheel. Bizarre and there is nothing unique about my nose as far as I am aware 🤥 as touching the screen with my thumb has the same effect. Could this be an electrostatic charge even though the LCD is not on? This did not happen with v2.

Settings: touch AF off, touch AF in EVF off, AF Mode Field, AFs, EVF Extended, Leica screen protector. 

I have just received my beautiful new Q2 which already had V3.0 firmware installed. Went out today for my first real trial and, using my left eye for composing (my right is affected by a cataract), found exactly the same 'feature'. It rather confused me at the time as my settings kept disappearing and these mysterious red arrows appeared making me think that something was wrong. Getting home I discovered the truth which wasn't obvious as I've never shot with earlier firmwares. It's reassuring to hear that others have the same issue and hopefully Leica can address this soon.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CAP said:

I have just received my beautiful new Q2 which already had V3.0 firmware installed. Went out today for my first real trial and, using my left eye for composing (my right is affected by a cataract), found exactly the same 'feature'. It rather confused me at the time as my settings kept disappearing and these mysterious red arrows appeared making me think that something was wrong. Getting home I discovered the truth which wasn't obvious as I've never shot with earlier firmwares. It's reassuring to hear that others have the same issue and hopefully Leica can address this soon.

Welcome to the forum. The Q2 is a wonderful camera - enjoy 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CAP said:

My temporary expedient to avoid this annoyance is to use spot focussing. Go to Focusing, AF Mode and then select Spot. Multi-Field also avoids it but I hate the unpredictability of the camera choosing the focus point. I want to be in charge!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/5/2020 at 5:42 PM, arriestocracy said:

True. But there’s a fix, and I pulled it off finally. 

So Leica creates a new folder after every 1,000 shots. My latest count before the upgrade was left at L103xxxx and after upgrade the image numbering started from L1000001. Using the method mentioned above I took a shot, then changed the file name to L1001000 on the laptop then inserted the card back to camera. So the next shot was L1010001 in the new L101 folder. Then I did the renaming on the computer again, to L1011000.

Since folders L102 and L103 remained on my SD card the whole time, instead of writing to folder L102 which seemed logical enough, the camera skipped both folders and created L104 folder with my following shot bearing the file number L1040001. Fix for me as long as the numbering doesn’t go back to cause any confusion in my photo management. 

Thank you!!!

I am quoting your post in case somebody misses this on page 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

After few months with shooting on Firmware 3.0, I now think that I know what he different JPEG rendering is. Before V3.0, the JPEGs in general were had warmer tones and more contrast, especially on night shots. The browns and reds were more sutured. 

Now the image seems more balanced. This is subjective, but looking at old photos pre v.3.0 I can definitely see the difference. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Ronaldraw said:

I m hesitating in buying the Q2 because of these firmware issues. Is there already some news about a new firmware?

I haven’t had any issues at all. If there are any, they’re quite specific cases such as right-eye users etc. 

I wouldn’t worry. Buy it, use it, create amazing images. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 8:27 AM, w44neg said:

I haven’t had any issues at all. If there are any, they’re quite specific cases such as right-eye users etc. 

I wouldn’t worry. Buy it, use it, create amazing images. 

Totally agree. I bought my Q2 within 20 minutes of intro. Approaching 2 years ago. Love my Q2. A perfect walk around and travel camera. Zero regrets. The opposite. Delighted!! 

• Like 5

On 11/4/2020 at 6:53 AM, Leica Guy said:

In MF. I cannot make magnification work using the thumb button. That’s with auto-magnification off. When I turn auto-mag on I can magnify by moving the focus ring. Still no control with the thumb button. Ivan change from +3 to +6... with the Set button, but it times out back to 1X after 5 secs. 

In AF, I cannot magnify. 

Very curious is there’s some setting that allows yours to operate as you describe. I have not found any workaround. Thanks. 

just curious, why do you want to zoom when in AF mode? I'm still on the original firmware (version 1) and will probably today upgrade. However I only use magnify in MF mode and like that it's set to turn on automatically as I turn the focus ring. The only time I use AF is when I'm shooting non-static subjects, such as I often do in street work. However in all other cases I prefer using MF.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:45 PM, bullmoon said:

Manual Focus - zooms to 3x or 6x

I must be dense - can't figure out how to change manual focus zoom from 3x to 6x. I'd appreciate if you could tell me how to change that, thanks!

Edited by brickftl

On 11/5/2020 at 12:46 PM, bullmoon said:

I believe it is first a problem with the Leica instructions which are simply incorrect, and that seems to be typical.  The instructions mention the FN button, but that's spurious; the FN button has nothing to do with it:

1 - Menu

2 - Customize Control

3 - RIGHT Wheel Button

4 - Magnification ON (if you have already selected too many choices, you'll have to disable one)

5 - Menu

6 - Focusing

7 - Focus Mode

8 - Focus Assist

9 - Auto Magnification Off

Long Press on RIGHT Wheel Button, Select Magnification

Now the Right Wheel Button - the button, not the wheel, will toggle magnification 1x / 3x or 6x (use Set to change between 3x or 6x).

I see - yes I want ability to toggle between 3x and 6x, but like to use my right wheel button for ISO settings. Is there another way I can access that toggle feature?

When using MF and needing to change the auto focus assist enlargement from 3x to 6x, you just press the button in the centre of the direction pad (ie the buttons you use to move the AF point around). It toggles between the two enlargements, until you half-press the shutter button when it goes back to a non zoomed view. Not sure if I explained that very well!

see page 65 of the user manual

Edited by ianforber
Explanatory manual page reference

46 minutes ago, ianforber said:

When using MF and needing to change the auto focus assist enlargement from 3x to 6x, you just press the button in the centre of the direction pad (ie the buttons you use to move the AF point around). It toggles between the two enlargements, until you half-press the shutter button when it goes back to a non zoomed view. Not sure if I explained that very well!

see page 65 of the user manual

;you explained it PERFECTLY, thanks so much!!!

12 hours ago, brickftl said:

just curious, why do you want to zoom when in AF mode? I'm still on the original firmware (version 1) and will probably today upgrade. However I only use magnify in MF mode and like that it's set to turn on automatically as I turn the focus ring. The only time I use AF is when I'm shooting non-static subjects, such as I often do in street work. However in all other cases I prefer using MF.

I mainly use MF and zooming in macro mode. Especially when nailing precise focus or outside to see any movement by wind so I can capture when the flower isn’t moving.