Firmware 3.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

Yes,
if Leica would implement the possibility to switch the touchscreen completely off (and maybe off when dark because eye on VF) then everybody will be happy.

What i wanted to say that on other touchscreen cameras the touchscreen does something while touching it ad not necessarely the focus file resize.
But you are right, if thei problem did not existed on V2 then Leica coded a problem as they probably not where thinking that some people use left eye.

Chris

The Q2’s proximetry sensor is able to dim the LCD screen. At the same time it could disable the focus field resize, until ones eye is away from the EVF. 

• Like 3

On 11/9/2020 at 6:52 AM, bullmoon said:

That's by design and a new feature, but kind of funny your nose triggers it - I shoot left eye too and haven't noticed that yet, but I try to keep my nose off the screen!  Here's what's going on:

ADJUSTING THE METERING FIELD SIZE
The AF quick setting allows quick changes to the metering field size
during field metering. This feature is also available while the
Touch AF function is deactivated.
▸ Touch and hold the LCD panel
• All auxiliary displays are hidden.
• Red triangles appear at two corners of the metering field if the
metering method Field is set.
▸ Turn the thumbwheel
or
▸ Two-finger pinch/spread
• The size of the AF-metering field is adjustable in 3 increments.

This is a geniune pita. I'm also a left eyed shooter. After reading the above posts I checked and sure enough I trigger the AF field adjustment option very often if using the viewfinder and thus disable ISO adjustment on the thumb wheel. Even more irritating the only GUI improvement I was interested in was to change the AF field area which is usually ok but I often want a slightly larger one. I was real dissappinted to find it can't be made bigger than before. (I can't recall that it could be made smaller before?) so can't see that this is any real improvement. It seems you can't disable it? 

Edited by mikegml
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 5:36 PM, 6399 said:

Further post several hours later 👎
Having searched through other fora here after dozens of unsuccessful tries to pair the Q2 with v3.0 to my Android phone, I found a solution elsewhere posted by "iRandom" - to whom, grateful thanks:-
"Then I updated to FW 3.0 and tried to do the pairing. The Bluetooth option on the camera was off and not selectable until I removed the  Q2 from Fotos and re-added it. I was then able to connect, view photos on the camera and control the camera. I also confirmed that a photo I took from the camera (not via the remote) shows the GPS icon. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max running the latest production iOS. Edited Wednesday at 04:06 PM by iRandom"
It wasn't quite that simple with my Android and it involved numerous deletions of the repeating appearance of the Q2 on my Bluetooth and wifi lists. Eventually though I got the link established.
Rhetorical question - but why can't a company like Leica get this simple operation sorted? They don't provide a cable release for the shutter so remote operation is an essential feature.

Yes, it is cool to get the geotagging now - it is an option (BETA) that must be enabled to work, though.  When you see your camera listed in Fotos App, select the "..." beside it and then a menu will appear at the bottom where you can enable it for Always On.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/13/2020 at 11:06 AM, 6399 said:

I'd appreciate any guidance on this.....after installing V3.0 update, I can no longer get Bluetooth activated on the Q2.
No doubt in my ignorance I'm failing to do something simple, but prior to V3, I had managed to pair the Q2 to the Leica FOTOS app on my phone.
However now nothing I try will change the  Bluetooth from "OFF" to "ON" via the main Q2 menu.
(When I attempt to switch to "ON", I then get the pairing screen which then of course reverts to the Bluetooth setting of "OFF").
I've done a full camera reset, created & reloaded a default profile (dnease's posting above) but am now at a loss how to proceed as the manual offers nothing useful on Bluetooth.

I had a similar issue with my iPhone.  Bluetooth was off- in red on the camera and could not be changed.   What worked in the end was deleting the Fotos app from the iPhone and then reinstalling and repairing.  Now the communication works, and actually on first use seems more reliable.

16 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I had a similar issue with my iPhone.  Bluetooth was off- in red on the camera and could not be changed.   What worked in the end was deleting the Fotos app from the iPhone and then reinstalling and repairing.  Now the communication works, and actually on first use seems more reliable.

Thanks,  That just worked for me too. 

Update on my email to Leica UK on the focus field resize issue:

"What a surprise, opened my mailbox this morning and there was an email from Germany! They said they would look into it and hopefully they will add it to the next firmware update. "

Quite what this means is anyone's guess but at least the issue is logged with Leica in Germany.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HighlandK said:

"What a surprise, opened my mailbox this morning and there was an email from Germany! They said they would look into it and hopefully they will add it to the next firmware update. "

Quite what this means is anyone's guess but at least the issue is logged with Leica in Germany.

Thank-you for pursuing this with Leica. They can’t fix what they don’t know about.

• Like 1

vor 19 Stunden schrieb jaeger:

See all these troubles in FW3.0, is it safe to buy Q2 as a Christmas gift?  I don't want to get embarrassed...

If someone is not enjoying the Q2 (even with Firmware 1) then he/she is probably not worth any other photo camera.

Everyone will find a odd side of any camera and it's my believe that it's not tha camera adapting to the photographer, the photographer must adapt to the camera.
Every camera has it's limits and in all the cameras i had all of them gave me some "annoyance" but usually there is a reasonable workaround.
The only "serious" problem i heard of is the left-eye photographer where the nose is moving AF point.
If the reciver is a left-eye photographer than this can be a bigger annoyance but i guess that there are not too much of them.

For the rest, the Q2 is certainly the top of the compact size class, for optical, mechanical and statussymbol reasons.
However, a fixed lens camera is not for everybody, particularly not for persons used to cameras with a zoom lens.
the shoot good pictures is not easy as the photographer is the zoom if doanble, otherwise cropping will be involved, but
once the learning curve is climbed up using them becomes fantastic and open another world of photography.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhotoCruiser said:

If someone is not enjoying the Q2 (even with Firmware 1) then he/she is probably not worth any other photo camera.

Everyone will find a odd side of any camera and it's my believe that it's not tha camera adapting to the photographer, the photographer must adapt to the camera.
Every camera has it's limits and in all the cameras i had all of them gave me some "annoyance" but usually there is a reasonable workaround.
The only "serious" problem i heard of is the left-eye photographer where the nose is moving AF point.
If the reciver is a left-eye photographer than this can be a bigger annoyance but i guess that there are not too much of them.

For the rest, the Q2 is certainly the top of the compact size class, for optical, mechanical and statussymbol reasons.
However, a fixed lens camera is not for everybody, particularly not for persons used to cameras with a zoom lens.
the shoot good pictures is not easy as the photographer is the zoom if doanble, otherwise cropping will be involved, but
once the learning curve is climbed up using them becomes fantastic and open another world of photography.

Chris

I am buying it as a x'mas gift for a girl, has the FW3.0 screw up or not?

I personally shoot M but not Q and I don't worship any brand/product. 

23 hours ago, HighlandK said:

I contacted Leica UK from the link you provided and they were prompt in replying.  I'm assuming you were the 'different customer' refered to.

"Thank you for your inquiry. I’ve heard about the same issue with a different customer last week and we got in touch with our headquarter in Germany. They said they will look into it and it might be something they will add to the next firmware update.  Until then we can suggest to change to the spot focus rather than the field option. Also for your information, when the Touch AF is turned off you can double tap the screen to return the spot focus point to central.

I hope this helps, please let me know if there any questions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaeger said:

I am buying it as a x'mas gift for a girl, has the FW3.0 screw up or not?

I personally shoot M but not Q and I don't worship any brand/product. 

Lucky girl 😀 No it is not a screw up. The left eye shooter nose problem is an annoyance, not a screw up, for me and some others but not all. Until it is resolved there are two work arounds: keep your nose of the LCD or use the spot focus mode or one of the other focus mode. Who can say what would be an OK present for someone else. If you think the Q2 in general terms is fine as a present for the person concerned and suits their camera skills and requirements then v3.0 does not change its suitability.

Am 9.11.2020 um 00:49 schrieb HighlandK:

This is very weird! Just installed Firmware 3 to Q2. All went fine but now when I look through the EVF with my left eye (right eye vision is defective) and (inevitably) my nose touches the top of the LCD screen the focus field square changes to one with two red resizing arrows. Half press restores normal screen. Nose touches it again and back to resize. Of course this then effectively removes the exposure comp facility from the thumb wheel. Bizarre and there is nothing unique about my nose as far as I am aware 🤥 as touching the screen with my thumb has the same effect. Could this be an electrostatic charge even though the LCD is not on? This did not happen with v2.

Settings: touch AF off, touch AF in EVF off, AF Mode Field, AFs, EVF Extended, Leica screen protector. 

I have exactly the same problem: as a left-eye-shooter with the EVF and a normal human-beeing-nose the thumbwheel always activates the change of size of the fiel-AF, no more control of exposure.

Only way around ist to use spot-af or manual focus.

I (from germany) contacted Leica, they said they got several of these feedbacks. Hopefully the eliminates it in the next firmware. Otherwise, they would ruin the user-experience of the otherwise superb Q2, and that is what the leica q2 was always famous for: excellent handling & maximal functionality with reduced amount of control-knobs, no messing around with complex menus or settings, but time to concentrate an the shoot-process itself.

And a correction of this mistake in the firmware 3.0 should be very easy, just deactivate this function while evf is detected on, or the possibility to deactivate it in the menus.

I personaly dont think there is a need to change the size of the field-af on the fly all the time, once it is set to the desired size, it is left there, at least for me. But exposure-compensation is used in every shot.

And going to the cosmetic surgeon is the last option for me... :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3