q2 monochrome

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t wait to try it. So happy that Leica may offer a cheaper Monochrom camera. 

If the lens can keep up, we may get a 94MP equivalent camera in B&W.  
75mm crop will be very usable. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

Unfortunately you only get to know how nice is the Q once you've tried it, and used it for a longer period than what you can see at your favorite Leica store. I have the 10M mono and I need to use the EVF if I want to use it wide open. Therefore the Q2m sounds like a perfect idea... The only downside would be to keep the APO 50 on the shelf, as it's a killer lens with the M10M. So for that reason I dont think the Q2m was designed for Monochrom users already equipped, but for the people who never ever tried a Mono before and / or a Q.

I would not stand far from selling the MM gear and go lighter with a Q2m, depending on the specs.

I do think that a Monochrom camera is a must have. 
A Q2 Monochrom will lower the cost of entry. You can pair it with another colour body. Like a SL2, an M10, a CL or another Q2, etc...

Pairing an M10 Monochrom with another colour body would be extremely expensive. 

Edited by nicci78

Oh yes 🤩 black and white medium format film is wonderful. 
but I really don’t like triX. Which is not really a high resolution film by the way. 

And with Kodak films and MF film bodies price sky rocketing. Shooting with any M Monochrom is way cheaper now. 

B&W film and Leica Monochrom are two completely different beasts. 
The results will be completely different. B&W film will give us clean shadows and grainy highlights. Leica Monochrom will give us clean highlights and noisy shadow. 
Therefore two totally different looks. 

With B&W film you are limited to 400 ISO. Of course you can push it to 1600. 
On the other hand Monochrom will give you access to crazy high usable 25K, 50K, 100K ISO.

You don’t have to look after a Flextight scanner to drum scan your best negative. 

A very nice scanned 6x6 can yield into 70MP. M10 Monochrom is around the equivalent of 81MP. 

I really like the extreme sharpness of Monochrom cameras. And the infinite ability to post process their DNG. 
Can’t wait for 93MP equivalent Q2 Monochrom with clean 50K ISO. 

• Like 2

Was considering upgrading an M9M to an M10M but on news of possible new Q2 monochrom might wait and see what it is like and add this instead and sell a wide angle M lens, quite an appealing travel combo.

Mention of film above...still medium fomat film very satisfying. I posted below on a scanning thread my first scan on Delta 100 of 6 * 6. Quite fun getting the clunk of an old medium format and developing process to be really involved from time to time!  But Q2M for daily carrying always at the ready sounds very appealing.

Edited by Phil_P

On 10/19/2020 at 8:14 AM, nicci78 said:

The real question is how can I convince my wife that I need a Q2 Monochrom alongside the Q2. 🙃

Same here lol!

I think a momochrom Q2 would pair well with the Q2 as well. I'd love to try out a monochrome leica camera but I'm too lazy to use M cameras lol (I love autofocus, I started photography on an iphone 😅🙈). 

Personally, it would be really cool if this camera actually becomes a thing. I've been saving up for a SL2 to pair with my Q2 but now I might just try this out first since it would force me to shoot in B&W when I shoot with it. I sold all my Fuji gear and consolidated to a Q2 so I'm a bit hesistant to buy another ILC but a Q2M could be perfect lol. I could also justify it easier than a M lol 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

I was being figurative here, not literal, though I still think most MF film can outperform. But to be literal: Delta 100.

No way - technically  A 24 MP sensor will outresolve any film  except maybe MF Technical Pan (as mentioned above), and have a wider DR; MF digital will run rings around MF film all the way. But that is quite irrelevant as everyone will prefer  his own rendering and look - and so it should be. It is just a matter of choosing the right tool for one's own artistic intent.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bags27 said:

Just shoot Tri-X in medium format. It's B&W and has higher resolution than the Q2. 🙂

So you're saying I should keep my RB67.  Or more accurately I should USE my RB67.   It's probably been over a year since I put a roll of film through it.

On a serious note I am not the target audience for a Q2 monochrome.   I'm mostly happy with post processing BW conversions.  When not I will break out the film camera.

Edited by marchyman

44 minutes ago, jaapv said:

No way - technically  A 24 MP sensor will outresolve any film  except maybe MF Technical Pan (as mentioned above), and have a wider DR; MF digital will run rings around MF film all the way. But that is quite irrelevant as everyone will prefer  his own rendering and look - and so it should be. It is just a matter of choosing the right tool for one's own artistic intent.

Completely agree that it's all personal taste.

As to resolution between a FF digital and a MF film camera, I believe everything I read in Wikipedia (I have to: I'm an Wikipedia author--though thankfully for the world, not on photography):

Many professional-quality film cameras use medium-format or large-format films. Because of the relatively large size of the imaging area these media provide, they can record higher resolution images than most consumer digital cameras. Based upon the above pixel density, a medium-format film image can record an equivalent resolution of approximately 83 million pixels in the case of a 60 x 60 mm frame, to 125 million pixels in the case of a 60 x 90 mm frame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_digital_and_film_photography#Spatial_resolution

My own Fuji GSW 690 produces photos of astonishing detail that I don't think I can't get with my 24 mps M10 or CL. Perhaps the next generation of FF digital cameras, approaching 100 mps, will do it. But I don't see anything on the M10R board currently that I prefer to the rendering of MF film.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1