q2 monochrome

43 minutes ago, Delboy72 said:

From the specification it retains all the features of a Q2, but has a monochrome sensor based on the M10M.  I think I'll stick with my Monochrom + 35mm Summilux.  Had they removed the video I might have been interested.

What does that mean.. based on M10M.. Just the M10M 40MP sensor and not a B/W version of the 42MP Q2 sensor?

I guess that's OK as long as the image stabilization came with it.

Edited by nameBrandon

Q2 Monochrom photos

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Press release :

Leica Camera is excited to announce a brand new groundbreaking addition to the storied Leica Monochrom family of cameras. The Leica Q2 Monochrom bridges the gap between technical innovations and modern features to the historic legacy of black and white photography tracing back through Leica's heritage. This full frame compact camera is made with a dedicated monochrome sensor – bringing with it much of the fan-favorite features of the Leica Q2 with welcome refinements to its design and style.
Monochrome Sensor
The Leica Q2 Monochrom boasts a 47MP full frame monochrome sensor based on its sibling model, the Leica Q2. Amazing sharpness, detail and resolution combines with a higher dynamic range to give photographers the best black and white image quality that is more accessible and approachable than ever before thanks to the easy-to-use, fast auto-focusing Q2 Monochrom. 47.3 megapixels reproduce the finest structures and low noise.
Capture Stills and 4K Video
The expanded ISO range of 100-100,000 with the Summilux 28 f/1.7 lens enables photographers to capture stills and 4K video in any light, and all the amazing functionality improvements of the Q2 – such as weather sealing and the OLED viewfinder – encourage users to bring the Q2 Monochrom anywhere and tackle any task.
Matte Black and Monochromatic Design
Inspired by the design elements established with the M10 Monochrom, the Q2 Monochrom is painted with a matte black finish and all engravings are filled in with only gray, white, or black. The omission of the Leica red dot logo keeps the design elegantly subdued and stealthy.
Weather Sealing and Other Features
The Q2 Monochrom, like the Q2 it is based on benefits from IP 52-rated weather sealing against dust and spray water. Additionally, it shares the same crisply detailed OLED electronic viewfinder, impressive battery life (BP-SCL4 battery), manually-controllable 4K video recording, Leica FOTOS connectivity with Wi-Fi/Bluetooth and intuitive menu system. Now with no color settings to worry about, the Q2 Monochrom has an even further streamlined menu.

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tech data

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, scroy said:

It will be interesting to see the image comparisons with the M10M as the Q2 has significant software-based distortion correction.   

Intriguing camera.

Not trying  to bash you, but where are you finding the info to conclude  that? Meaning, I would like to learn, if you  would be willing to  share the information 

Thanks 

Ps: I am really interested  in this new release; the regular q2 not so much, but I miss my M8 a bit, as had it mostly for b&w and with IR filters shooting 

Just now, nwphil said:

Not trying  to bash you, but where are you finding the info to conclude  that? Meaning, I would like to learn, if you  would be willing to  share the information 

Thanks 

Ps: I am really interested  in this new release; the regular q2 not so much, but I miss my M8 a bit, as had it mostly for b&w and with IR filters shooting 

Lloyd Chambers.

It's the thing people bring up when they want to nitpick the Q2. It a non-issue for 95% of people.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nwphil said:

Thanks 

Sean Reid has extensively analyzed SDC in Q and Q2. It seems that SDC (software distortion control) works better with high resolution sensor of Q2 than with Q.

Q2 has significant lens distortion for sure. You will see it with some of the RAW viewers that does not apply Leica profile.  But that's the benefit of the fix lens camera, where the whole camera is designed around a "distorted" lens that produces perfectly corrected images.

10 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Leica Camera is excited to announce a brand new groundbreaking addition to the storied Leica Monochrom family of cameras.

Press release talk about a Leica Monochrom family ! 
Does this mean that two versions of Q2 Monochrom exists ?
One with just the black dot  instead of red dot 🔴 ?   
Another one with Q-P features : no logo, matte black, discreet gray engravings ? 
Or it is just a reference to M Monochrom, M Monochrom typ 246 & M10 Monochrom ? 

Edited by nicci78

24 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Press release talk about a Leica Monochrom family ! 
Does this mean that two versions of Q2 Monochrom exists ?
One with just the black dot  instead of red dot 🔴 ?   
Another one with Q-P features : no logo, matte black, discreet gray engravings ? 
Or it is just a reference to M Monochrom, M Monochrom typ 246 & M10 Monochrom ? 

I assume it's a reference to monochrom series (M and Q)

8 hours ago, nwphil said:

Thanks 

I had a Q2 and enjoyed it (I would still have it, but for a travel mishap), and I seriously looked at the M10M before purchasing an M10R.  My comment was due to my reading on Sean Reid's site.. 

I'm intrigued enough about the camera to want to understand more to see if it's worth purchasing vs an M-based Monochrom.

• Thanks 1